chapter ten

    The Potter's Manor was a large house on a relatively large estate. Though the estate didn't really have much on it. It was merely hills of green grass that Ella and James had spent much of their childhood playing on. It was also where James practiced Quidditch. Ella sometimes joined in but mainly watched him from the window. Always admiring him.

     The manor itself wasn't really a manor. It was big but not to the extent to many estates from other pure-blood families. It was a six-bedroom house with a study that could be used as a seventh bedroom should the need arise. Two rooms were taken up by the family themselves. Another two by Ella and her mother whenever they stayed which was so often that the rooms had practically turned into a second bedroom for them. Another room was taken up by Sirius who was also a frequent visitor. The last bedroom had always been the guest room. Various people having been in it and most of the year, it was vacant unlike the rest of the house.

     The house was extravagant while also keeping it's simplicity. Cluttered with meaningful objects and furniture that kept it feeling so homely and alive. Ella had always adored the Potter Manor. It often felt more like home to her. The whole area had a warmth to it that Ella could never find at home even if the climate in Scotland, where the Potters lived, was generally much colder than Manchester.

     The driveway was covered in snow when Ella and Margaret arrived. A common occurrence for the Potters during the winter months. Scotland always had snow at one time or another. Ella was just hoping it would snow on Christmas. She loved when it snowed on Christmas day. It gave her a childish glee and it gave her an excuse to throw snowballs at James and now Sirius when they had done little to provoke her.

     She had debated whether to make a snowball to throw at James whenever she saw him but decided it was better to wait. Carrying her bags with her as they walked up the steps of the Manor. Margaret was about to knock when the door opened. The kind face of Euphemia greeting them.

     She was a short woman, a similar height to Ella, and her eyes were so kind that Ella was sure Mia would never lie. Though, Ella had surely lied to the older woman far too many times for her liking. That was the way when Ella had a secret relationship with Mia's son. Lies had become customary when discussing her time with James because the truth would surely shock her.

     "It's so lovely to see you both. Come in, come in." Mia said before either of the women could say a word. Ella was happy to step into the warmth of the house. Her various bags still on her arms as she wiped her feet on the mat and then walked across to the middle of the entranceway. Her mother was quick to follow behind her and Mia closed the door. The two women placing their various bags down as Ella began to unzip her coat.

     The house already felt far too warm with her wearing it so she decided that discarding it would be the best course of action. She then heard a loud shout from upstairs and pounding on the floorboards. A grin spreading on Ella's face at the telltale sound of James and Sirius. They never failed to make a ridiculous amount of noise despite what people told them,