chapter nine

     Ella woke up the next day with the worst headache she had ever experienced. Her head throbbing like someone was colliding a jackhammer with the back of her skull. Layla had to drag her out of bed, helping the brunette get dressed for the train journey ahead. Ella couldn't even remember the last night. She vaguely remembered kissing Lily and the drinking game they played but after Peter's second question, she was gone.

     She knew that she had got into bed at some point and somehow but couldn't for the life of her remember who had put her to bed. She assumed it was one of her friends so rather than worry about it, she focused on trying to ignore the headache. It seemed worse than before and as she changed, Layla said that she had a hangover potion for her when they go down to the feast.

     Ella was thankful and when they sat down, Layla poured it into her goblet as well as Ella's. Ella drinking it quickly. She really just needed to get this headache gone. She was sure it would drive her crazy and only come back harder when they were on the train. The boys were always ridiculously loud and it seemed that all of them were heading home for Christmas so it would be just as bad.

     As Ella finished her breakfast, she noticed McGonagall watching her. That set Ella on edge and when she finished her toast, the head of the house came over. Her face as serious as it always was but there were no hints of anger. Hopefully that meant she would be free from any lecturing. McGonagall had often told the Gryffindors off for their partying but it seemed they were saved for the night.

     "Dumbledore would like to speak to you, Miss Woods," She said simply. Ella glanced around at her friends as they exchanged wary looks before Ella nodded, standing up. She took the last gulp of the potion to help her hangover and then followed after McGonagall who began to lead her out of the room and across the corridors.

     "Professor, do you know what 'e wants to talk to me about?," Ella asked, attempting to sound collected but there was a hint of fear in her voice. A hint that McGonagall was quick to pick up. She turned to look at Ella and gave her a soft smile which eased the tension in Ella's bones. A breath of relief releasing from her lips.

     "It's nothing serious, Miss Woods. I'm not sure myself but it's not about last night. Though I will have to remind the house of the rules," McGonagall responded, glancing down at Ella. Ella nodded her head, her eyes flicking to the ground. Twiddling her thumbs as they climbed the stairs towards the corridor where Dumbledore's office was.

     "M'sorry." Ella muttered after a moment. She hated the disappointment that laced McGonagall's tongue. She just wanted to be a good student and do the school proud yet she often got drunk with her friends. That was certainly not going to give the school a good reputation. McGonagall looked down and gently shook her head.

     "Don't worry about that. You're teenagers, I expect nothing less," She said as they stopped at the large raven. McGonagall spoke the password and it moved out of the way. Ella walking through to the door. She knocked on the door and a moment later it opened. Ella's breath shaking as she tried to swallow her anxiety. She stepped inside the office, her gaze flicking around the large room.