chapter five

     Halloween a few days later was like many Halloweens before. Anticipation was the main thing buzzing among the students. Every house had their party in the common room but Sirius was sure Gryffindors would be the best. Between the fire-whiskey and various other alcohol, the Honeyduke's sweets and copious amounts of food that he managed to get from the house elves. It was going to be a good party where everyone got bombed-out and people were left with awful hangovers come the next morning.

     Ella could hardly say she was excited. She had two ways that she saw the night playing out. She barely touched any alcohol and instead had to watch her friends have fun while she stayed relatively sober. Or option two, the worse option, she got tanked and spilt her guts to James or someone else. Meaning that she lost her best friend rather than just watching him flirt with a girl he was hopelessly in love with.

     After considering it, Ella decided to try and get tipsy but not drunk. Though the line was incredibly fine for Ella due to her tolerance level. Two drinks and she was gone so she had set one at her limit. It would hopefully leave her slightly tipsy but not completely bombed-out to the point where she confessed something she shouldn't have.

     So, once the feast was over and everything had ended, the students all headed back to their dorms. Most of the first, second, third and fourth year went upstairs to have their own celebrations. A mix of seventh, sixth and fifth years were the ones left downstairs. Sirius grinning as their party quickly got into full swing.

     The alcohol brought out pretty quickly which is when Ella got herself her first drink. The only drink that she would have as she sat down on the sofa. Some others sat next to her but she ignored their presence as she looked around the room. James was talking to the boys. Layla and Lily talking amongst themselves as music played in the background. Mostly just people talking.

     However, as time went on, a lot more people began to drink. Half of the alcohol gone within the first hour of the party. The music seemed to get louder and everyone was dancing except a group of people who were playing truth or dare. A game that Ella got dragged into by James and Remus. So, she was now sat across from the boys and a few other people that she vaguely recognised but couldn't pin a name to. Marlene was there at least.

     "I don't want to drink more than this," Ella said as they were deciding who to go for. Sirius smirked at that and looked up at her. He then leant over and grabbed the bottle of fire-whiskey, pouring some into her glass despite her words.

     "You have to drink if you don't want to answer or do the dare," Sirius shrugged and Ella gave him a playful glare. Her gaze falling onto James who already seemed pretty out of it. He was running his mouth to the boy sat next to him that she realised was someone from her potions class. Before she could get a chance to say anything, Remus spoke up.

    "I think Ella should go first and I already have a question," Remus said. His words relatively clear and unslurred. He hadn't had as much as his friends it seemed. His glass of fire-whiskey only have drunk as he looked at her. The 'go for it' from Ella was the nail in the coffin of her soberness.