Chapter 29

*Prom day, Forks*

"Hey, Evs." Dad knocked on my door.

"Come in."

"Hey, are you still going to prom?" he asked in his own gentle way.

"I don't have a date anymore but yeah." I've been feeling better but there still feels like a piece of me is missing, well two actually. It's been harder to be happy but being home has helped.

"Do you want to take the truck?" he asked and I smiled looking at him with disbelief.

"You'll let me take the truck?"

"Yeah. I know you have your permit, but you're a good driver and you deserve it. Just this once though until you get your license." I got out of bed and hugged him.

"Thank you, dad. Now out I have to start getting ready." I let go after a moment and pushed him a little.

"There she is," he commented as he left. I rolled my eyes and got my makeup done. I put the dress and the nude heels on, curled my long brunette hair, put it into a ponytail, and pulled some of the front pieces out, going for a messy but pretty look, then I went and helped Bella.

"Perfect! You're all set. I'm gonna go, meet you there." I said and she nodded. As I walked down the stairs Dad and Edward were at the bottom.

"You look, beautiful angel. Have a fun time and be safe." dad said, handing his truck keys over to me.

"Thank you and I will. I probably won't be staying long. I have dance in the morning." I kissed his cheek, nodded hello to Edward, and started towards the door.

'You look great.' I heard Edward and I smiled.

'Thank you. Your princess is coming down.' I thought and then disconnected.

*at prom*

I waited outside by dad's truck until Bella and Edward got here. They finally did and he let her out and helped her to a little wooden bench before going to find a place to park. I walked over to her but before I sat I heard my nickname.

"Hey Linnie, Bella." I looked up to the tree line and saw Jake in a white button-down, dress pants, and a tie loosely tied around his neck.

"Jake."

"Jacob. Hey." Bella said surprised.

"Nice," he said to her then looked at me.

"Woah." I smiled and blushed at that. This sounds crazy but I can feel with Jake here. I need to hang out with him more.

"You too." Bella and I said.

"What happened to Barton?" he asked me after not seeing him with us.

"Oh, huh, after the whole runaway incident he kind of broke up with me. But it's for the best, despite both being in the dance world, our other worlds couldn't be more different." I told him with a small, 'it's okay' smile and he nodded.

"Well I'm sorry to hear that," he said and I shrugged, waving my hand.

"Are you crashing the prom or something? Did you come with a date?" she asked and he scoffed with a smile and shook his head.

"No." good, wait what? He's my best friend. I should be happy if he is happy and has a date. He came over and sat down, his back to me.

"My dad paid me to come to talk to you. Twenty bucks." I laughed at that, I could see Uncle Billy doing that.

"Let's hear it, Jake," I said amused.

"He wanted me to tell you, Eva, that you already know what's right and it would benefit you to remember. And Bella, just don't get mad, okay?" he said and I grew confused. What should I be remembering that is right?

"He wants you to break up with your boyfriend. It's just, he said, quote, "we'll be watching you."" he said, glancing at me and I started laughing with him.

"I don't see how the boyfriend part applies to me since we already broke up. For the watching part, I'm over at the rez all the time; they don't need to be watching me. and what does he mean by I know what's right, I'll have to ask him later." I said putting quotes around the first "watching" and saying the last one with an emphasis on it. I'll have to talk to Sam or Uncle Billy later about it.

"Okay, well, tell him thanks." she kinda laughed along as well.

"And to pay up." she hit his arm a little and a little anger rose in me.

"Okay. Here, let me help you," he said quickly standing and helping her stand as well. Jealousy then shot through me, but I pushed both emotions away and looked to Edward as he walked up.

"Jacob." Edward said standing very close to Bella.

"I'll take it from here." He said, and I could feel the shift in emotions in Jake. I studied his face and looked to Edward, who gave me a barely noticeable nod. No, no not yet, Jake can't phase yet.

"Guess I'll see you around Bella. Linnie," he said and Edward put the jacket over her shoulders.

"All right," she whispered a little and they started walking.

"Jake, wait." I stopped him moving towards him a bit. I gave him this look saying 'please rescue me' and he seemed to get it.

"Want to get out of here?" he asked with a boyish grin and I nodded.

"Please." I took his outreached hand and he led me back to my dad's truck.

"We can stop at your house first so you can change then head over to mine, or go to a movie or something," he said opening the door for me.

"Thank you." I climbed in then he went around and did the same. We did what he suggested and we ended up on his couch watching a random movie. As I started falling asleep with his arm wrapped around me and curled up on his side I couldn't help but finally feel at peace and happy again.

It was still going to take a bit to get used to not having Cielo, the threat of Victoria is still present, and my two friend groups hate each other, but right now, it's peaceful and life is slowly getting back into me.

I can ignore tomorrow and its threats at least for this moment. Jake's arms relaxed around me and his heart was at a steady slower beat so that means he fell asleep. For now, he is still human, for now, I have my best friend all to myself. I let my eyes stay closed and my mind relax, falling into a beautiful dream of the future.

~end of book one~

~I hope you enjoyed it!! The Next Chapter is the Epilogue, so happy reading!~