Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

(So you’ve had a brief glimpse into Rafael’s mind once before, way back in the beginning of the book. You’ve had an abundance of Adrian and Selene. So, here are more glimpses into the mind of Rafael! xD Tell me what you think!)

Selene opened her eyes and stared over at Richard. He was relaxing next to her on the couch, watching TV as she sat up. When she sat up he moved his eyes over her. “Ah, you’re better,” he said. “Do you believe me now?”

She nodded her head. What wasn’t there to believe? She had created a freaking storm without meaning to. She had done something she never would’ve dreamed possible. She had dismissed her books as nothing before but now she knew she probably needed to start studying them, maybe there was a way to get rid of them. She didn’t want to control the weather or have it linked to her as a defense mechanism. She could only be thankful that it hadn’t been linked to her emotions because if it had been then the world would’ve already been destroyed.

Taking a deep breath, she looked over at the man across from her and wondered why her Grandmother hadn’t at least warned her of what was to come. She had only told her bedtime stories of things…That she had never thought existed but it was proven to be true.

She shuddered and rose to her feet. “How many others are out there?” she asked.

“Thousands,” he murmured.

She sighed. “And you’re offering to mentor me?” she asked, skeptically.

What reason did he have for wanting to mentor her? Usually there were ulterior motives to everything. This was probably no different. She still wasn’t sure that she had made the jump into the looney bin and pushed it to the back of her mind. Thinking about it, it really was impossible. Yet she had done it without any forewarning. She could remember the night before. There was no question about it. They were both different and she wasn’t sure if that was in a good or bad way. She didn’t know anyone else who was like her.

“Yes,” he agreed. “I’m offering to mentor you.”

“Why?” she questioned.

“My master is a powerful king,” he responded. “He noticed you from afar and wanted me to mentor you so that you don’t inconsequentially alert witch hunters to your presences.”

She blinked rapidly. This was too much. Witches and witch hunters? Good lord, what was the world coming to? What else was out there?

“Your king just noticed me one sunny day out of the blue, did he?” she replied sarcastically.

He chuckled. “No, His Elegancy noticed you while you were at work—“

She stared at him. Wait…a stalker? Adrian had been enough of a stalker but now this? And some weird “king” who she didn’t know? Surely she wasn’t expected to trust this man. She huffed. She wasn’t stupid or gullible. She would never be that again. Andrew and her father had beaten her down a notch one too many. She wasn’t going through this nonsense again. Who the hell did they think they were?

“Just who is this “king” of yours?” she demanded. “If he was so interested in me being mentored to stay under the radar, then why didn’t he approach me? And why did you send that creepy as shadow after me?”

He leaned back on the couch flicking through channels like it was nothing. From his posture one would think that they’d been discussing the weather. That added fuel to the flames. She had never trusted people she didn’t know to begin with. Suspicious behavior it was to her.