Chapter Nineteen

"By executive order of President Zhu Li Moon, this special tribunal is now in session."

"You stand accused of crimes against peace. During your reign as the leader of the Earth Empire, your transgressions included: Refusing to turn over emergency powers granted to you by former president Raiko and King Wu, numerous wars of aggression throughout the Earth Kingdom states, presiding over inhumane prison camps, invading the United Republic, a sovereign nation, and the use of spirit energy as a weapon of mass destruction."

Kuvira looked at the judge with a scowl as the charges against her were read out, "How do you plead?"

"I am sorry for the harm I caused to the people of the Earth Kingdom and this city, I truly am. But this tribunal seems all too eager to list my offenses, without giving any consideration to my achievements."

"Please, enlighten us."

"After the fall of the Earth Queen, the kingdom fell into chaos. When no one was willing to step up, I brought back order. I dragged an ancient culture out of the dark ages and modernized it. Everything I did, I did for the greater good of the Earth Kingdom and its citizens."

The judge repeated her question, "How do you plead?"

"Not guilty."

And just like that, the trial ended. Team Avatar minutes Asami and the Beifongs were the first to get out of the courtroom. They were all huddled together, waiting for Kuvira to show up. They all looked around when the courtroom door opened as Kuvira was led out past them.

Suyin stared at Kuvira furiously. She stood in front of her with a murderous expression, "Not guilty? The whole world knows what you did, Kuvira! What are you trying to prove?" she yelled at her, making the woman look away, "Don't turn your back on me!"

Kuvira who was still looking away replied, " I know I hurt you and your family. But you all turned your backs on me long before the Earth Empire ever existed."

"That is a lie! I gave you a home. I provided for you."

"But I was never really part of your family, was I?"

Suyin gritted her mouth in annoyance, "You attacked Zaofu! You almost killed my son!"

"And I've apologized. Numerous times. When will you see through all your anger to forgive me?"

"That's what you don't get. Being sorry isn't enough. You need to take responsibility for what you've done," with that being said she turned around and walked away, "Goodbye, Kuvira."

--------------------------

Korra, Asami, and Mako were inside Zhu Li's office as they read through a file at her desk. Wu was sitting on one of the two couches on the side of the coffee table enjoying a glass of lemonade, while Bolin was working.

"Please help yourself to some cherry-berry lemonade and varri-cakes," the earth bender replied which made his brother stiffen a laugh.

"How's the new job going?"

"Great! I think I've finally found my true calling," Bolin replied.

Korra looked at the two brothers amused, "Serving varri-cakes?"

"No politics!"

"Yeah, we'll see. That's what you said about pro-bending. And acting. And working for Kuvira. And being a cop," the firebender muttered.

"Are you suggesting that I'm inconstant?"

"I'm saying you have an aversion to commitment."

"Just because you've "found yourself" doesn't mean the rest of us have."

Mako walked away and sat down on the couch next to Wu as Korra and Asami take the opposite couch. Zhu Li walked over and greeted them, "Thank you all for coming."

"No problem. I used to dread meetings with the president. Now I look forward to them!" Korra replied and Asami nodded, "So, what's going on?"

"Actually, King Wu called this meeting. I'll let him explain."

Wu stood up to reply and address the other. As he did so, Bolin saw Mako's hand moving toward the varri-cakes and lifted the tray out o this reach while glaring at him, causing Mako to glare at him in return.

"Thank you, President Moon. I've asked you all here because I'd like Team Avatar to join me in Gaoling for the upcoming election."

Mako raised his brow, "If you just want us there for show, forget it. We're not your entourage, Wu."

"No, it's not like that. Well, maybe it is a little... Anyway, I promise there's a legitimate reason I need you here with me."

"Okay. What is it?"

"My kingdom is being threatened by the Earth Empire!" he clenched his fist dramatically.

Asami scowled, "Uh... Kuvira surrendered to Korra, remember?"

"Yeah, the Earth Empire is no more," Korra replied.

"That's what I thought too! But recently, I received some reports about a group of holdouts hiding in Gaoling that never surrendered."

"What? How'd they slip through the cracks?"

"Kuvira gutted the Earth Kingdom Army when she took power. We've been doing our best to round up Earth Empire stragglers, but the army is still understaffed."

Zhu Li continued after Wu had finished, "The leader of the holdouts is one of Kuvira's former commanders a man by the name of Guan."

"And you're worried Guan and his troops might disrupt the election?"

"Pretty much yeah," Wu said.

Korra groaned, "So now we have the Empire and the Tokuga case to worry about, great."

"We're off the Tokuga case, Korra, let it go."

Korra ignored the firebender and continued, "If Commander Guan does try to stop people from voting, it might give the other states an excuse to call off their elections which would put the whole democratic movement in jeopardy. And put the Earth Empire in a position to rise to power again. We can't let that happen."

Zhu Li looked at Korra, "I think it would be a good idea for the Avatar to stand with King Wu, as a symbol of balance and peace."

"Then it's settled, guess we're going to Gaoling."

After the meeting ended everyone went their separate ways. Mako headed out somewhere with Wu, Bolin stayed at work and Korra followed Asami like a lost puppy.

"Asami, wait!"

Asami glanced at her, "What is it?"

"I think you and I should visit Kuvira. I want to find out what she knows about Commander Guan."

"Absolutely not. I told you I don't want to be in the same room with her. It's a good idea, just do it without me."

Korra took the non-benders hands and smiled at her, "Hey, it's alright, I didn't say you have to, I'll talk to her on my own."

"Thanks for understanding and good luck, you'll need it."