Chapter Thirteen

"You haven't said two words to me since Tokuga threw us down here. Are you doing all right?"

Asami gave him a cold glare, "Don't pretend as you care. Your greed put me in this situation."

"I was simply trying to turn a disaster into an opportunity, but your Airbender buddies got in the way. They should have left the portal as I asked. I was simply defending my property," Wonyong replied.

"You sent criminals to threaten and intimidate people."

"Running a successful business sometimes requires... unsavory partnerships, shall we say? But I'm sure you learned all about that from your father."

"You have no right to talk about my father! I didn't speak to him for years because of his ties with Amon. But in the end, he regretted what he had done and sacrificed his life to help save Republic City. What are you willing to sacrifice?"

"I've taken nearly everything from him. He has nothing left to offer up," Tokuga said, coming out of the shadows. Asami turned her head to the source of the voice, to see Tokuga standing next to the doorway.

"If you have everything you want, then let us go."

Tokuga chuckled, "Not yet. The Avatar hasn't suffered enough for what she did to me."

"Korra didn't send the dragon eel spirit after you, she was trying to stop it!"

"How noble of you to defend your girlfriend."

Asami's breathing hitched. Her heartbeat fastened and a flush appeared on her cheeks but she ignored the feeling in her stomach, "She's not my girlfriend-"

"No need to lie. I had eyes on your office. But that's not the only reason you're here. I understand you're handy with machinery." he cut her off and showed her a blueprint, "I need you to make me one of these."

Asami gawked at the paper, "These are my father's drawings... where did you get these blueprints?"

Tokuga pointed at Wonyong, "I found them in one of his safes."

"Your father gave those plans to me years ago, Asami. It was the reason I walked out on our deal. Once I realized Hiroshi wanted me to help him make illegal weapons, I didn't want anything to do with Future Industries."

"This looks like a gas dispersion pump. I bet my father planned to attach them to the old mecha-tanks." she glanced at Tokuga, "Is that your plan? To weaponize your stolen mecha-suits with knockout gas?"

"No, I'm going to use something a little more powerful... poison gas."

Asami and Wonyong both looked at the half breed in horror. Tokuga was unfazed as he continued talking, "And why bother with mecha-suits when I have an airship? I'm going to bring this city to its knees."

Asami threw the blueprint at him, "I'm not about to help you hold all of Republic City hostage!"

Tokuga reached for Wonyong as he wrapped his tentacle arm tightly around his neck, strangling him, "You can help me, or watch him suffocate."

Wonyong struggled to breathe, "Asami... please ..."

"Stop! Let him go."

"Smart girl. I knew you'd see reason."

-------------------

"Beifong got a report that a few Creeping Crystals were seen going in and out of this building."

Bolin glanced at the Avatar and his brother uneasily, "Are you sure about this, Mako? The chief said she didn't want any officers wasting time going after a triad on its last legs."

"Technically, we're not going after them. We're here to get Jargala's help."

"Come on, hurry up!" Korra groaned.

Where one of the Creeping Crystal triad members watched the trio through the window her turned to Jargala who was sitting at a coffee table.

"Looks like the Avatar tracked us down. What do you want us to do?"

Jargala's gaze followed the glowing piece of crystal which she was levitating with her bending. After considering his words, she stared at him, "Invite her in."

Korra, Mako, and Bolin walked into the room, facing Jargala across the table.

Korra was the first to speak, "We found out who really took Asami. It was Tokuga."

"So you're here to apologize for falsely accusing me?"

"No, we want to make a deal," Mako replied and Korra continued, "You know your old turf better than anyone. Are there any old tunnels or passageways under the streets? Ways to move around undetected?"

"Sure, but what do I have to gain by telling the Avatar and a couple of cops all my secrets?"

"We know where Tokuga is hiding. I assume you'd like a chance to reclaim the Creeping Crystals' turf?"

"You want to help me get revenge?"

Korra sighed, "We just want our friend back."

The leader took a moment to think about it before she dropped the piece of crystal into a flower pot containing a plant.

"Do you know how my triad first got its name? From jennamite -- the original creeping crystal," she started and by now the jennamite crystal has already covered half of the plant. "When it comes into contact with organic matter, jennamite starts to grow and grow until there is no escape. Tokuga's about to discover why the Creeping Crystals were once the most feared triad in Republic City."