Chapter Eighteen

Zhu Li walked into her office with Varrick trailing behind her, "Good to see you all. Welcome back to Republic City, King Wu," she stopped midway and glanced at everyone, "Where are Korra and Asami?"

"Uh... they're running late, Asami radioed and said they went together and got stuck in some traffic," Mako replied unaware of the real situation.

King Wu ignored his former bodyguard and glanced at the president, "Thanks. And congratulations on winning the election!"

Before anyone else could reply the two girls barged into the room while trying to catch their breath.

"President Zhu Li!" Korra practically saluted, "Sorry, we're late, we got stuck-"

"In traffic, yes, I'm aware, sit down now, please," she cut her off.

Korra sat down next to Wu and nudged him playfully, "Are you ready for your big, historic speech?"

"I don't know... there are a lotta people out there."

"You can't get cold feet now, Wu," Mako replied, slightly annoyed.

"I got an idea! How about you deliver my speech for me, Mako?"

"No way. You're the king, remember?"

"Thankfully not for much longer. I hate public speaking."

Mako tried easing his nerves a bit, "Relax. You'll do great. Just be yourself."

"Be myself?... I can do that! You always know the right thing to say, Mako. Must be why I keep you around."

The firebender raised his eyebrow, he was about to argue with him but just shook his head, "Must be."

"Since we're all finally here, let's go," Zhu Li muttered as she opened the door, gesturing for everyone to go out.

Team Avatar, the president, Varrick, and Wu all walked outside. They were greeted by a large crowd as Wu stepped on the podium. The rest of them stood by his side as he prepared to give his speech.

"Good morning, everyone! As you all know, a couple of months ago I declared my intention to step down as Earth King and abolish the monarchy. Well, after much planning and many discussions with the leaders of the Earth Kingdom states, that time is almost upon us."

"I'm pleased to announce that the very first democratic election will take place two weeks from today, in the state of Gaoling!"

Korra, Mako, and Asami lightly applaud at that statement. Korra whispered to the two, "He's doing great."

"Better than I expected. He almost looks like a real leader up there," Mako nodded as he smiled.

"After the vote in Gaoling, elections will continue in the other states. Within a year, the Earth Kingdom will have completed its peaceful transition to democracy. Any questions?"

The reporters caught Wu off guard when they slammed millions of questions at him, one by one, freaking him out a bit.

"Do you think your timetable is realistic? How are you going to ensure the elections are fair?"

"What about the states that have already expressed opposition to your plan?"

Wu stuttered out, " I didn't... uh... let me check my notes..."

"What about the states that have already expressed opposition to your plan?"

"Will you force them to comply?"

Wu started sweating, "Boy, oh boy, oh boy ..." he suddenly broke out in a song and danced around the stage, "I find your quest-ions quite ab-surd! I've given every-one my word! I'm gonna step down and throw away my crown!"

Korra frowned as she crossed her arms and gave Wu a nonchalant gesture, Mako covered his face with both hands. Asami tried to suppress her laughter and Varrick plugged his fingers into his ears, cringing slightly.

Korra looked at the firebender, "Well, you did tell him to be himself."

"This is not what I meant."

Wu staggered backward, no longer singing. Zhi Li took his place on the podium, "I think what the king is trying to express through the medium of song is that once the other states see Gaoling's smooth transition to democracy, they'll be encouraged and follow suit."

The king fainted and toppled behind the president alarming Korra. Mako caught him before he could hit the floor while Zhu Li simply ignored everything, "Next question?"

-------------------

"It just seems impossible!" Korra groaned, she threw the piece of paper from her hands onto the table in frustration, glaring at the earth bender.

"I mean, yeah, but maybe he's just good at hiding?" Bolin replied.

"Bolin, he's a six feet tall lizard-man, I'm pretty sure someone would've seen him," Asami replied.

"What if he's dead?"

"Doubt it, someone would've found him by now."

Mako scrunched up his brows in confusion, "Why are we even bothering with this? It's police business."

"You are the police," Korra snapped.

"Well, yeah, but why are you bothering with this, he's gone, he shouldn't be a problem anymore."

"And what if he somehow unexpectedly comes back and tries to kill us all again?" Korra growled, annoyed at the firebenders logic.

"I'm just saying we have other problems to worry about."

"Such as?"

"Kuvira's trial is in an hour."

Korra's eyes widened. She'd had completely forgotten about that piece of information. Asami, who was standing next to the Avatar, shifted uncomfortably at the mention of the Great Uniter's name.

"What if he's in the spirit world?" Bolin thought aloud, as he flipped over the papers.

"That wouldn't make sense, he hates spirits, and spirits hate him," Asami replied, the two ignoring Mako who now seemed annoyed.

"We're going to the trial right?"

Korra sighed and frowned. She knew how much the topic bothered the nonbender next to her so she just nodded in reply. Asami who was watching her girlfriend's movements shook her head, "I'm not going."

"What? Why not?"

"I'm not going to be in the same room with the woman who killed my father," she replied.

Tension flew over all of them. Bolin cleared his throat, "So, do we drop the Tokuga case or?"

"Yes, drop it," Mako replied.

"No, don't," Korra cut him off.

"Guys I need clear answers"

"Korra, why are you so determined to find this guy?!" the firebender yelled.

The water tribe girl's teeth clenched in anger. Mako was getting on her nerves and her not having a good answer for his question only fueled her anger even more.

"Forget it. We'll talk about this later, we have a trial to get to."