Chapter Nine

Team Avatar headed to Wonyong Keum's office building the next morning. They've been waiting on the ground floor for twenty minutes already, but finally met with the receptionist who was previously on a lunch break.

Mako showed her his badge, "We need to speak with Mr. Keum."

"Do you have an appointment?"

The firebender looked baffled, did she not just see his badge? "This is a police matter. It's urgent."

"If you don't have an appointment, I can't help you."

The four of them glared at each other. Korra was about to intervene but two security guards stepped between them, stopping her in the process.

"Please follow us, Sir, Ma'am."

"Fine. We're leaving," Mako spat and Korra was about to punch him. Does this man not know how to do his job or something? She thought bitterly.

The brothers and two girls make to leave but the security guards continued to hover around them. Prompting Mako to turn to the first one with an annoyed expression, "Back off. I said we're leaving."

One of them spoke, "Actually, can we ask you a question?"

"Excuse me?"

"Is Mr. Keum in some kind of trouble?"

The firebender looked confused, "What do you mean?"

"Mr. Keum hasn't shown up for work the past couple of days. We haven't informed his employees yet. We don't want to alarm anyone."

Asami's eyes widened, "Your boss has been missing for two days and you didn't think to call the police?"

"Mr. Keum's a private man and doesn't like to involve the authorities, so we've been investigating on our own. We've checked his home, but his wife hasn't seen him either."

Bolin looked at his brother, "You don't think-"

"Tokuga," the firebender finished his sentence.

-----------------------

"Where's our food? You said it would be here by now!" an evacuee yelled.

Zhu Li looked at the man in pity, "I know, I know. Please, be patient. The supplies should be here soon."

"You've been telling us to be patient all day! I'm sick of being patient!"

"Yeah!"

"We want to eat!"

"What do we do? This horde already devoured my whole supply of varri-cakes!" Varrick mumbled as he pulled out a cake from his pocket, "My whole supply, except one... I saved your deliciousness all for me."

Zhu Li, Tenzin, and Kya all stared at Varrick, equally unimpressed by his antics. He glanced back at them as he unwrapped the cake, "What?! You can't expect me to work on an empty stomach!", he shoved the cake into his mouth and mumbled, "Mmmm... get into my mouth..."

"It's all Raiko's fault we're in this mess. He assured me those supplies from Ba Sing Se would sail through customs. I swear he's holding things up just to spite me."

"This is unconscionable, even for him," Tenzin muttered.

"Not only two days ago he was acting like he had the evacuees' best interests at heart. What a hypocrite. I guess he only wants to help people when it suits his needs," Zhu Li snapped.

Korra, Asami, Mako, and Bolin entered the tent. Asami glanced at Zhu Li, wondering why she's in such a bad mood.

"Why is everything around here so tense?" Korra voiced their presence.

"Raiko didn't keep his end of the deal, we're running low on supplies again."

Team Avatar awkwardly looked at each other. Korra broke the short silence, "Uh- haven't you heard..."

"Heard what?" Kya mumbled.

"Raiko is dead."

"What?!" Zhu Li and Kya yelled.

"What do you mean he's dead?" Tenzin blabbered out.

"The new Triad leader, Tokuga, killed him," Mako explained.

"You four, are explaining everything, so sit down and start talking."

A/N

a little short filler chapter