Chapter Sixteen

Three weeks had passed since Tokuga's mysterious disappearance from Republic City. This also meant that three weeks had passed since Korra and Asami were accurately avoiding each other at all costs.

But today was finally the day when the newly elected president would be announced. This meant that Korra and Asami are both attending the gala waiting for the results.

Which they already were. But much to their dismay, they were still both avoiding each other. Amongst the full crowd, Mako approached his brother bumping him on the shoulder, "So when's the wedding, partner?"

"Oh. Beifong didn't tell you?"

"Beifong? Tell me what?" the firebender scrunched his eyebrows in confusion.

"Don't take this too hard, but now that the triad situation is under control, I've decided to move on. I'm quitting the force."

"Really? But I thought you loved being a cop."

"Yes, it was thrilling while it lasted, but I can't be tied down. This little bird needs to fly," Bolin chuckled.

"Okay. Whatever," he replied indifferently.

"Brave, brave, Mako. Please, don't make this any harder than it needs to be. What we had was a special partnership, but I'm afraid it's time we go our separate ways."

"But I'm going to see you at home in, like, two hours."

"I'll give you some time to process all this. Also, we still haven't decided on the wedding date."

Mako just sighed at his brother's melodrama while elsewhere Korra walked up to Asami.

"Can we talk?"

Asami nodded, "In a minute. The results are in! They're about to make the announcement!"

Shiro Shinobi read the results, "And with a whopping 79 percent of the vote, Zhu Li Moon wins in a landslide!"

The crowd roared in celebration. Most of the people chanted her name, as she walked up on stage looking emotionally overcome by the news.

"Thank you! Thank you, everyone! I stand before you, humbled and honored to serve as your next president, with no illusions about the challenges we face. If the events of the past several months are any indication, there are still dark times ahead. And our path is far from certain. Our republic and this city are unique in the world. There's no place elsewhere so many disparate groups and traditions have come together to live as one. But Republic City is only in its infancy and too often, our differences become a source of conflict. But it doesn't have to be this way. Next time you're walking down the street, look up. Say "Hello!" to that stranger passing you by. Imagine what it's like to walk in their shoes. If enough of us do that, we might someday find balance as a society, and with one another."

"But I realize that peace and harmony won't happen overnight. After all, the Avatar has been trying to achieve balance for millennia and there is still much work to be done. It will take all of us supporting one another to fight the forces of hate that seek to throw our lives into chaos."

"I know the portal has caused a lot of problems, and I will work tirelessly to rebuild and help the evacuees find new homes. A new spirit portal in the middle of downtown is not something any of us could have anticipated. But it's here to stay. And now that Wonyong Keum has generously donated his land to our city, we need to plan for the portal's future. And that is why, as my first act as president, I will bestow the spirit portal and the surrounding wilds to the Air Nation. I hope that the Air Nation continues to thrive and flourish in an area rich with spiritual energy."

Korra grabbed Asami by her hand and dragged her out of the room, "Follow me."

"I'd like to leave you with some wise words from Avatar Aang:" As Zhu Li recited her quotation, Korra led Asami out onto a balcony.

Asami looked confused for a moment, "What are we doing out here? The speech isn't over."

"I've been afraid to ask you something. But I can't keep it to myself any longer, I know we've kind of been ignoring each other since Tokuga went missing and I know what we had going on before all of this drama happened probably meant nothing to you-"

"Korra, what are you talking about?" she cut her off.

"I know it probably meant nothing to you, but it did to me... and I- uh... I wanted to ask you if you'd like to go on a date with me. A real date?"

Asami's cheeks glowed bright red. So much for no feeling involved, she thought. Korra was waiting for a reply and got nervous when almost several minutes had passed and the green-eyed girl still hadn't said anything.

"I'm fine if you say no-"

The nonbender shut her up by pressing their lips together. Korra, shocked by the sudden exchange kissed back sloppily. Her left hand rested on Asami's face while her right one cupped her cheek.

The engineer pulled back, smiling while still in Korra's embrace, she replied, "I would love to."