22. Sis

Waking up for the second time was just as unpleasant as the first.

The pain was even worse than last time. My leg burned and my jaw was incredibly sore.

I wiggled my toes and was relieved that I still had a leg.

I felt a hand in my own, and I knew it was Newt.

I decided not to move for a moment and just enjoy his touch. He probably still was mad and as soon as I woke, he would resent me again.

After a while, he pulled his hand from mine and got up.

It was now or never.

"How long this time?" I asked. My voice was shaky and hoarse.

"Beth?" Newt asked.

"Whose Beth?" I asked and opened my eyes to see Newts face twist with concern.

I chuckled. "I'm joking Newt."

He sighed and kissed my hand. "Jackass," he mumbled.

"How long?" I asked again.

"Only a couple weeks," he replied. "If you spend anymore time in comas, I swear, I will beat you."

"Kinky," I said with a smile.

Newt rolled his eyes and chuckled. "Glad to see you haven't lost your sense of humor. And you got to stop getting hurt to make me forgive you."

"Never will loose it. And it worked didn't it?" I said with a smirk. It suddenly fell when I thought about the little girl.

"What is it?" Newt asked.

I told him about the night. Every little detail.

He pulled my hands up to his face and rested his cheek on them.

"If you get hurt again... it will hurt me. And not just 'cause I will jump in front of whatever is gonna hurt you," Newt said with tears in his eyes.

"I know, Newt," I whispered as I kissed his forehead. "I love you too."

He let out a shaky breath.

"I didn't mean it, I never could hate you," I whispered as I pulled him in for another kiss.

He furrowed his eye brows and kissed me back.

"I'm so sorry about the night of the party, Newt," I sped talked. "I will never do something like that again. I am yours, I always was yo-."

"Will you be my girlfriend?" He cut me off.

I laughed, "Even though we are toxic?"

"I wouldn't want to die from any other toxin," he kissed my knuckles again.

"I love you, Salamander."

"I love you, beloved Beth."

"Isn't it a little early for the L word?" Brendas voice suddenly cut in, ruining our moment.

"No sister," I mocked. "In a time like this, it is better to say what is on your mind because we are never guaranteed tomorrow."

She smiled.

"Speaking of which, Newt will you give us a moment?" I asked.

"Of course love," he kissed my forehead and walked out.

"Of course love," Brenda mocked his accent. "I don't know how you like that, but it would drive me crazy."

I laughed. "I think his accent is hot."

She rolled her eyes, "Of course you do."

"Hey," I said and cleared my throat. "I am sorry for always being cranky with you. I guess I just wanted you to act like a sister, not a mother. But now I see I needed a mother figure more."

She nodded her head and climbed into bed with me. "I love you sis," she said and stroked the top of my head.

"I know," I replied and curled up in her arms.

She was my sister. My last relative. And I couldn't be more grateful.

"How is your bite?" I asked.

"I am doing good," she laughed. "When I start to Crank, you will be the first to know."

I smiled.