6. What A Shit Hole

We were at a large building. Music could be heard from inside and weirdly dressed women and men stood out along the streets.

We walked to the doors just as the old man I presumed to be Marcus walked out.

When he saw Jorge, he quickly turned around and rushed back inside.

"He wants to play games," Jorge said with and evil laugh before he pushed past a girl and ran inside. We weren't far behind.

"That must've been Marcus," I yelled over the sound of music.

"Who is that?" Frypan asked. Well I think he was Frypan at least, I am horrible with remembering names.

"The guy who can get us to the Right Arm," I shoved past a girl the quickly froze as I saw her.

It was Brenda. In one quick motion, I pulled her into a hug and yelled profanities about how she worried me and she shouldn't have went back.

"The music is pretty," she said.

I pulled back and looked at her, she had a sullen look over her and she was tipsy.

I didn't even ask what she did to get a buzz, I just pulled her after us.

"Where is Thomas?" Teresa asked when we ran back into the others.

"Frys got him," Newt stepped into the conversation. "Jorge took Marcus upstairs."

We followed Newt, pushing through the crowd as I led Brenda behind me.

I was walking past a room when I saw it. They had a crank in the middle of a circle and a man was egging it on, once it lunged for him, the man slit its throat and it fell to the ground.

I let out a gasp. That was awful. I understand killing them when they are threatening, but they were doing it as sport.

A sob escaped my throat as Newt grabbed my head with one hand and pulled me into his chest. My shortness making it so my head layed a couple inches below his chin.

"Let's go," he said and pulled me away from that room, placing himself between me and it so I couldn't look back.

I felt sick. My stomach was doing flips and my head was spinning.

The sight I just saw mixed with the heat and the smell of this shit hole was not helping.

There was an ugly vase and I quickly rushed over to it, emptying my stomach into the bright pink pot.

Newt reached over took my hair into his hands. I felt Brenda rub my back as well.

"We need to go," she said as she stumbled away from me.

"You alright love?" Newt asked as I stood and straightened myself.

I nodded my head. "It just is hot."

He grabbed my hand and pulled me behind him.

By the time we reached the upstairs room, Jorge already had Marcus tied to a chair and was questioning him. Thomas was waking up.

I wasn't paying much attention to what Marcus and Jorge were talking about but I did catch Marcus say something about WCKD coming and my fight or flight response kicking in.

"When will WCKD get here?" I asked Marcus.

Between punches, Marcus laughed. "Someone is scared of WCKD, huh?" He spit out some blood. "Well let me tell you, little girl. They will eat you up. Pass you around like a useless toy before they kill you."

Newt stepped in front of me and Jorge shut him up with another punch and pulled out a gun.

I leaned my head against Newts back. I felt him tense up before relaxing and turning around, pulling me into a hug.

"I won't let that happen," he stated.

"You are absolutely amazing," I sighed then froze when I realized what I said. He wouldn't take that in a weird way, would he? I stepped out of the hug and saw that he had pink cheeks before he quickly turned away, walking to Thomas.

I couldn't help the small smile that crept onto my face. I had made the ever so stoic Newt blush.

•••●●•••

I honestly love how motherlike Newt is. He is a teddy bear.

Let me know what you guys think!

Also, the next chapter has some stuff go down:/

Happy reading