10. Rude Awakening

Light against my eyelids was the first thing I knew as I became conscious again.

I heard mummbeled voices around me and focused on them until they were clear.

"How much longer Vince?" The voice was soft but demanding and brought butterflies to my stomach. It was Newt.

"She lost a lot of blood," who I guessed was Vince said. "She just needs to rest."

"It has been two days!" Newt was now yelling. That was a sound I never thought I would hear.

"Look," Vince was quiet. "With-" he stopped for a second. "Without Mary, we don't have a proper doctor. So, I can't promise you anything."

It was silent before Vince spoke again. "Excuse me," he whispered. Hurt was apparent in his voice.

"N-newt?" I attempted to speak. My mouth felt dry and my voice was shaky.

I heard he rush to my side and felt his warm hand wrap around my own.

"Hello love," he said softly. "How do you feel?"

How did I feel? That was probably the most stupid question he could've asked.

"Like shit," I chuckled but it turned into a painful cough.

"Shhh," he said and ran his hand over my forehead. "You are okay. I think we have spent more time together with you unconscious than with you awake."

I slowly tried to open my eyes so I could roll them, but the blinding sun made me shut them again.

Newt moved beside me and then it got darker. He had placed himself between me and the sun. "Better?" He asked.

"Much," I weakly smiled.

Pulling my eyelids open again, I looked to Newt.

He sat beside me, his hair was standing in different directions and his eyes held a gentle stare.

"Hello handsome," I smirked and shot him a wink.

A laugh came deep from his chest as if he was holding it in for a long time.

"You'll be the death of me, my beloved Beth," he replied with a hushed tone, kissing my knuckles.

I smiled. "What all happened?" I asked as I looked around.

His face suddenly twisted to pain. "We made it to the Right Arm," he said.

"But?" I asked.

"Teresa," he paused. "She called WCKD and told them out location. They attacked the camp. They took Minho."

I gasped. It was hard to believe Teresa would do something like that. Even after everything they had been through together.

"Oh Newt," I reached my good arm up and placed my hand on his cheek. He leaned into it and closed his eyes.

"No worries love," he said. "We are making a plan."

A wicked grin covered his face and I knew exactly what it meant. Revenge.

I smiled back.

"Kiss me," I requested.

"Gladly," he smirked.

He slowly leaned over, making me impatient for his touch.

In a quick motion, I grabbed the front of his shirt and yanked him the rest of the way down.

He kissed me gently then pulled away. I looked into his eyes and saw something. It was desire.

"Eager, are we?" He said with a smirk.

He leaned back over and placed his lips back on mine. Devouring me with a passion I had never felt before.

It was then that I realized that all I needed was him.