7. Good Ol' Bertha

Before I knew it, we were all crammed into a car. But this want any old car, this was Bertha. She was a 1985 Chevy Suburban. She had long horns tied to her front and she was Marcus's only thing left from the old world. Sure, her windows where foggy from cigarettes and the sour bread smell of moonshine filled the long cab, but she was beautiful.

I, of course, was sat between Newt and Brenda. Newt had declined the chance to sit up front and slide into the seat next to me.

The tension between me and Brenda was palpable. I was mad at her for running of and putting herself in danger, and she was mad at me for God knows what. That is how we seemed to be quite often.

I still hadn't told her about George yet, and I decided to not tell her anytime soon. I loved her, but her obsession with George was beyond normal. I think she was stuck in the old days when it was here and us twins.

Now that he was gone, nothing seemed normal. If she found out that George was gone, she would be crushed.

I was chewing on the inside of my cheek, deep in thought, when I felt someone touch me. I looked down to see Newts hand placed over mine. He wrapped his long fingers over my hand and squeezed gently.

He seemed to sense my stress and gave me a soft smile.

I saw Brenda from the corner of my eye. She was giving me a sly look, but once I looked to her and glared, she looked back out the window.

Teresa, Minho, and Aris were all crammed into the back. Minho was sleeping now, with his head against the window.

Thomas was up front between Frypan and Jorge, making small talk with Jorge about he Right Arm.

In this moment, everything seemed pretty alright. Not quite perfect, but only because the feud between Brenda and I.

I was slowly relaxing, drifting closer and closer to sleep. I could feel my head nodded slightly as Bertha hit a pothole.

Newt pulled his hand from mine and I quietly whined from the lack of his touch, but then his arm snaked around my back and he pulled me closer to him. I rested my head on his shoulders and completely relaxed. A small smile pulling at the corner of my lips.

I could hear Brenda speaking to Newt lightly, but sleep overcame me before I could catch what they were saying.

Newts P.O.V.

Her mouth parted as she drifted to sleep. I couldn't help but smile.

She really was the most beautiful girl I had ever seen, and it scared me how bloody much she already had me wrapped around her little finger. I hadn't even known her for three days, but she had this hope that draws me to her. I didn't see much hope anymore.

I would've never expected to feel this way for a girl. I always thought that the maze and my life running from WCKD would take too much of my time, but here I was fancying her.

"You like her?" Brenda asked. She was eyeing me down like a mother would.

"I do," I whispered with a chuckle.

Her eyed got wide and she was scaring me a bit. "No reason to get your panties in a twist," I mumbled. "I highly doubt she feels the same way."

Brenda sighed and seemed to be pondering her reply. "If you know what is good for her, you wont do anything about it. She has gone through so much, heartbreak isn't something she needs as well."

Her words pained my chest. She was right. Beth didn't need me to be making a move on her right now. Especially after she just found out about her brother. In that moment, I promised myself that I would back off and let her be.

But first, I was going to hold her while she slept. The promise would start when she woke up.

•••●●•••

Damn protective Brenda!! How long do you think he will last being distant from her?

Let me know what y'all think:)