12. Food For Me

He turned and looked around the room until his eyes fell on me.

His face twisted with confusion until he lit up.

In only a couple quick strides, he was picking me up and spinning me in a circle.

"Beth!" He said through a large smile. "I never thought I would see you again!"

"Same about you! I thought I lost you," I placed my hands on either side of his face, just to make sure it wasn't a dream.

His electric blue eyes hadn't changed at all since we were kids, but his black hair had grown out and now fell over his forehead in curls. His once soft jawline was now sharp and his skin was olive from the sun.

He reached up and put his hands over mine with a sigh.

Newt clearing his throat pulled me from our moment.

"Newt," I grabbed his hand and pulled him to me. "This is Niko, he helped me escape WCKD when we were kids."

Newt nodded and put on a smile. "Well then I guess it is you I should thank."

"Why is that?" Niko asked.

"You saved my Beth," Newt said and put an arm over my shoulder.

Niko's face turned for a second before his smile came back. "Oh trust me man, the pleasure was all mine." Niko patted Newt's shoulder before turning his attention back to me. "Wow Beth, you grew up to be absolutely beautiful."

I felt Newts arm tighten around me and I yelped as pain erupted through my shoulder and back.

"Sorry love," he mumbled and moved his arm to my waist. "Are you alright?"

I nodded.

"What happened?" Niko asked.

"Oh I got shot," I said nonchalantly.

"What?" Niko snapped. "Are you okay? How long ago?"

"I'm fine, Niko," I laughed. "So what happened to you? How did you get out?"

He explained to me that he was in his own maze and escaped after they found the way out. He was the only one to make it. He just joined the Right Arm last week.

I found myself laughing as he told his story. He still made me laugh the same way he did when we were kids.

"Well," he said clasping his hands together. "I'll let you get lunch."

He leaned over and kissed my cheek before walking away.

He turned mid step, "We should meet up sometime, yeah?"

I nodded and smiled.

I couldn't believe Niko was still alive.

I glanced to Newt, who had a set jaw and a dark look across his face.

"You good?" I questioned and pulled him into a hug.

"Bloody perfect," he grumbled.

I heard the sarcasm in his response, but I was going to ignore it. Right now, all I could think about was food.