8. Bout Blown Our Heads Off

I woke up to feeling of the car stopping.

"Well," Jorge said as he opened his car door. "I guess we are on foot."

I looked up to Newt and smiled, but he only glanced at me in return. He pulled himself away from me and walked out.

"Well that was rude," I whispered to myself, following everyone else.

I was rummaging around in the trunk of some abandoned car when I noticed the bullet hole in the side door.

"What the," my sentence was cut short by the sound of a bullet rickashaying.

"Get down," Thomas screamed and I quickly obliged.

I was running to a car when I felt a sudden pressure through my shoulder.

At first, I thought I was hit by some random pebble and dove behind a car. I scooted farther behind it on my butt, just to be safe.

Then the low burning started. I looked down at my right shoulder and saw blood coming out of a small hole.

I had been shot. "Son of a bitch," I said through clenched teeth as I looked at it closer.

A deep burning sensation traveled from when the bullet hit to down below my shoulder blade on my back.

It must be were it exits.

"Hey," I heard Thomas yell. "Is everyone okay back there?"

I didn't answer his stupid question, but I heard others do so.

"Anyone know where those bloody shots came from?" I heard Newts soft voice ask.

I looked up to the cliffs. My exit wound was below the entry, so they definitely came from their. "Above us," I said. "On top of the cliffs."

I heard Jorge and Thomas talking, but my mind was on other things.

I looked back down to my shoulder. Blood was soaking into my gray shirt and running down my front.

The burning from it was nothing like I have ever felt.

I pulled myself into a sitting position, screaming out in pain as I did.

"Beth?" I heard Brenda say but I didn't answer.

Jorge said something, but then I saw the girls.

"On your feet," one of them snapped. "Lets go."

I got up, blood spurting from the hole, and walked behind the group. None of the looked back to me, which I was greatly thankful for. I didn't want them to see me like this.

"Aris?" One of the girls asked.

I heard them exchange greetings before one of the girls mentioned that Aris was lucky they didn't shoot his ass.

Now was my chance to say something.

"I wasn't so lucky," I loudly said so the girl would hear me.

Newt quickly turned around, his eyes growing large when he saw me.

"Shit," one of the girls said.

My head began spinning as I took a step forward. My legs suddenly felt like jelly.

"Beth," Brenda said and rushed towards me.

My legs gave out and I leaned to the side. Newt quickly ran forward and caught me. Sparks shot through my body from his touch.

I looked up into his eyes. They were frantically looking me over, until they fell upon my own. We seemed to be staring into each other's souls, catching all the little mistakes.

"You are okay," he said, but it seemed more for him than me.

I smiled at him. "Salamander," I whispered and placed my hand on the back of his neck. "Kiss me," my voice came out as a horse whisper.

He looked down to my lips, but didn't make any move.

I felt my brows furrow and complete concentration consumed me.

In one quick motion I pulled him down and pressed our lips together.

He froze for a moment before his lips moved against mine, sliding his hand into my hair.

In that moment, all pain disappeared. Everything around us dissolved and I focused completely on him. A feeling of warmth and comfort replaced any feeling of doubt I had about us. I was exactly where I was supposed to be. All it took to bring me completeness was his kiss. It was all I felt as the darkness sounded me.