1. Well That Isn't Very Fair

The lightning cracked, followed by a distant thunder. It was a beautiful night for a storm. The clouds covered the dead scorch like a blanket and made everything more vibrant.

"You shouldn't be that close to the window," Brenda interrupted my pleasant thoughts. "The storm is really whipping out there huh?"

I nodded my head.

"Come on," she instructed, pulling me away from the window.

Just as I was about to turn away, I saw something moving in the distance.

I quickly grabbed Jorges spotting scope and pulled it to the window.

There, running through the storm were at least six people.

"Oh my," the words fell off my lips as I saw them.

"What?" Brenda asked as she pushed me aside to see.

Her jaw dropped as she spotted what I was looking at.

"People in the scorch," she said.

"No one has made it across the scorch in a long time," I tried to push her away so I could see again.

"Go get Jorge," she bossed.

"No you do it," I shot back with annoyance.

She was always telling me what to do. She has become incredibly protective over me ever since my twin, George, was taken by WCKD. I mearly escaped them by hiding with the help of a friend.

My heart suddenly hurt from the memory of my lost friend.

I know I am immune too, it has just been a miracle that they haven't found me and taken me like they did with him.

She glared at me before turning away to fetch Jorge. I pulled the scope back to my eye, squinting one while I searched with the other. There they were again. They were running full speed towards us. I suddenly was worried for them.

What was Jorge going to do with them. Some of the people that we have here aren't as kind as Jorge also.

What if they came from WCKD? The men would want to sell them back. I wanted to shout out to them to turn around. They wouldn't make it through the storm if they were laying on the ground though. The lightning strikes anything above the flat ground. I am surprised that they have made it this far.

"Let me see, hermana," Jorge walked in and I stepped to the side obediently. "Ah yes. I will bet they escaped from that WCKD compound."

"Are you going to sell them back to WCKD?" I asked nervously.

"We will see what we are dealing with first," Jorge replied stepping back from the scope and gestured Brenda to look.

I glanced to Brenda as she looked at them again. "They are getting closer."

"When they get here, Brenda you go get them," Jorge spoke quietly, seeming to be deep in thought. "I'll be in my office."

"I can get them," I snapped defensively.

"No," they said in unison.

"We don't know anything about them yet," Jorge stated.

"Jorge is right," Brenda added. "They could be dangerous. I'll be back with the newcomers in a few. "

I huffed and turned away from them.

•••●●•••

First one done!!

What do you all think? Are you going to like Beth?

The Gladers are in the next chapter so yay!!

Beth and Newt will meet...

Happy reading