2. How Shocking

I wanted to argue that I was more than capable to retrieve the mysterious people. I was only one year younger than Brenda, so why does she have so much maturity over me.

There was no point in trying to convince them, so with a sigh of defeat, I nodded my head and turned back to the spotting scope.

Brenda sat her hand on my shoulder in attempt to be comforting, but I shrugged it off. She acted like she was the only one that lost someone all those years ago. I was closer to George than she ever was. I mean, we shared a womb together for heavens sakes. And her act of stepping up and being mom was not what I needed. I needed a sister, not a replacement.

I looked back through the scope just in time to see lighting strike down upon one of the people.

I let out a squeak and stepped back. They were probably dead, or extremely injured. My mind was racing.

"That's it," I said out loud. I was done sitting around and watching. I was going to go with Brenda and make sure that the person was okay.

I rushed out of the room and down the hall. The old warehouse seemed to be larger than normal this night as I raced to catch up to Brenda. As I got closer to the main entry way, I could smell the rotting flesh of the Cranks.

As I ran around the corner into the guard dog room, I ran into Brenda face first and fell to the ground.

"What the hell Beth," she groaned as she rubbed her forehead.

I sat up and rubbed my temples also.

"One of them got struck," I mumbled. "I came to see if they were okay."

"That would've been me," one of the boys from the group said.

I looked up and met his eyes. He looked tired, but other than that he was fine.

"Are you okay?" I asked and rushed to his side. "Do you have movement in all of your limbs?" I threw out questions as I grabbed his arm all held it up. There was a burnt spot on his shoulder where I assumed he was hit.

"Yes?" he said and carried out the s. He obviously was confused. Brenda must have not been to nice to them.

"Will you stop," Brenda snapped as she yanked me back by my arm.

I had done my part of making sure he was okay, so I had a feeling of accomplishment.

When she pulled me back, I finally got to look at the rest of the bunch. They all looked to be arond the age of seventeen. My eyes first landed on a girl. She had long brown hair and large doe eyes. Something was off about the way she looked at me though. The looked confused, well more confused than the others.

Next I saw a boy. He had brown hair also and pale skin. He seemed to be standing in front of the others like their protector, and I instantly thought that he must be their leader.

Then there was the boy that was struck. He just looked tired and his black hair stood at strange angles.

A darker skinned boy was standing guard by him. His face seemed to hold the memory of laughter. I could tell he was a happy kid.

A shorter skinny kid stood next to him. He looked to be scared. He had blonde hair and sunken cheeks. What had this kid been through.

Then I saw him. He was standing off to the side, staring at me intensely. His dirty blonde hair was shaggy and he had lines between his eyebrows as if he was in serious thought. He was taller than the others and had a lean, but muscular frame. His square jaw was set.

I don't know what it was about him, but I was instantly in a trance.

They way his chest moved as he breathed and the way he lips were pursed as he thought was all it took for me to get a crush. I noticed he had a small scar under his left eye. I wondered what happened to him.

He shifted nervously under my intense gaze, and I realized how creepy I must have looked at that moment. I was just staring at the boy.

I cleared my throat. "I'm Beth," I said sticking my hand out to any of them.

I could hear Brenda scoff behind me.

The one I assumed to be the leader reached out and shook it. "Thomas," he shook my hand once before he dropped it.

"Well Thomas," I smiled. "Welcome to the warehouse."

•••●●•••

And they have met!

Well Beth obviously likes Newt, so how long do you think it will take Newt to like her?

Don't forget to vote and comment♡

Happy reading