thirty-six*•°✾°•* fuck off (diner version)

Li's POV

I should be driving home, but I'm not.

The meeting I had with my management finished thirty minutes ago, and I'm in my car, but I haven't moved. The keys are the ignition unturning, my gas tank is full, and I'm still, but my mind isn't still; it's racing as my phone stares up at me, but I won't touch it. It'll burn me, I'm sure of it.

Words can burn; I know they can

Words can burn; I know they can. He taught me that. He taught me they can hurt more than a fist to the gut or a harsh hand on my cheek. Even at my best, I won't be anything other than small to him. Can I feel anything other than small around him? 

I feel scared. Threatened. 

The contact is unknown, but I know exactly who it is. 

Minju.

I swipe out of the conversation, trying not to panic at how he'll be able to see my read receipts and how I chose not to respond, and I quickly navigate to the group chat with me and the guys.

I try to text them, not trusting myself to speak, but I can't fathom a way to put this into words, leaving my fingers to simply hover over the screen.

A few minutes pass before the reality of the situation slams into me, and I call them, breathing heavily as I wait for one of them to pick up. As the seconds pass and no one picks up, my anxiety does.

Realization hits me. They had their meeting today, too. They're probably still in it.

Maybe I can make it there by the time they finish. With trembling hands, I put them on my steering wheel and focus on taking a few deep breaths. With the key in the ignition, my foot on the pedal, and my mind set, I drive to their building.

It doesn't take me long to arrive; fifteen minutes, but it feels longer. Every time I glance at where I tossed my phone onto the passenger seat, it adds a minute to my car ride. When I park at the building, it feels like two hours have passed.

I show my badge to security, one Jimin gave to me when we started dating, and I'm ushered inside to reception.

The woman working there, a bleached blonde with eyes similar to mine, looks up when she hears me approaching.

Her features are blank before recognition floods through. "Li Hyun," she greets, and I wince when her words seem to echo off of the walls. 

I grip my purse tightly, nodding as I arrive before her.

"You're Jimin's girlfriend," she says brightly. "You know, Jimin from BTS."

I nod awkwardly. "Yeah, that's me."

"I was lucky to get this job," she tells me with a smile. "I've always admired their music, and you seem awfully close with all of them; not just Jimin."

When I blink, unsure of how to respond even after an extensive run down from my management, she's quick to assure me with, "I didn't mean to insinuate anything. It's just sweet to see how much they all care about you. I mean, anyone watching can tell you mean a lot to them."