282 | Greatest Secret

"VIKTOR!" SOMEONE SHOUTED, KNOCKING on a door which leads to a bedroom that showed no signs of life. "Viktor Ivanovich Stepanov, if you do not come out of your room right now I would—" the man stops and massages his temple before turning to the maids standing behind him.

     "What happened this time?"

     "We don't know, sir. When he came back from school, he didn't say anything. We've been knocking on his door but the master hasn't answered it yet. We tried bringing his dinner inside but we were too afraid of opening the door because he might throw a tantrum again," the maid answers, making the man in a red suit sigh again.

    He glances at the door and adjusts his glasses. After a while, he looked back at the maids and said, "Key...bring me the key to his room."

     One of the maids nodded their heads before running off to fetch the said key. When she returned, the man quickly grabbed the key from her hand and opened the door, no longer warning the person who might be inside.

     As soon as the door opened, they were welcomed with a dark room that smelled like cigarettes. For a second he thought that no one was inside, but when he opened the door, he found Viktor sitting on the floor, leaning on his bed and holding an empty pack of cigarettes on his right hand, a bottle of whiskey on his left.

     "Akim, how many times do I have to tell you that—"

     "Shut up," the man named Akim, Viktor's 68-year-old butler since he was in his mother's womb, says in such a commanding tone that it instantly made Viktor stop talking. "You have no right to say anything, not when you've given me another set of problems. You might have inherited the Stepanov's entire riches, but this money isn't increasing. You're wasting funds for stupid reasons, which you're supposed to use to reopen your family's company."

     "I just hired a couple of people for my investigation. You know I'm getting closer. If I could just—"

     "I told you to fucking shut up," Akim commands again, and Viktor stares at him in silence before suddenly throwing the whiskey bottle against a wall, the shards hitting Akim on the face, making the maids gasp in shock, but Akim did not flinch at all.

Akim pulls a handkerchief from his pocket and wipes the blood off his cheek from the cut. Then he turned to the maids who immediately left the room and closed the door without hesitation.

     As soon as they were left alone, Akim grabbed Viktor and forced him to stand from the floor, gripping his collar as he stared directly into his master's face. "How many times do I have to tell you to stop this fucking nonsense? The more you dig deeper, the risk gets higher. You're already lucky that Janus is protecting you. But if you end up pulling the wrong strings because of your reckless investigations, none of us will be able to help you, do you not understand that?"

     "And why are you assuming that I wanted help in the first place?" Viktor asks back in an almost empty expression, making Akim push Viktor away so hard to the point where the young master stumbled and fell on top of the bed. If Akim didn't push him away from him, he might have punched him.

     "For god's sake Viktor, when are you going to learn!?" Akim shouted angrily, his face slowly turning red as he looked down at his drunk master. "You are being targeted by dangerous people. I already told you that I will handle everything. You only need to stay low, fucking graduate, and then—"

     "And then what?! Huh, Akim? I continue to hide like a wanted criminal? I'll just hide while the people who killed my entire family are out there? While the people who killed Grey are free? This isn't the life I want," Viktor answered.