113 | The Vixens

"I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'RE a gaffer now. Last time I saw you you were still a serf," Cindy says as she glances at Max's new armband.

     Max and Cindy were having a stroll on the grounds of J.S High, enjoying the school's grand structure. Cindy explained that it's been a year since she last explored the school so Max was kind enough to show her around. Thankfully classes were already over so there weren't a lot of students left.

     "I actually just got it recently. Not to brag but it's from the fruits of my labor," Max confidently answers, making Cindy chuckle.

     "So I've heard," she replies. "You were featured in our newspaper ones. It was the time Jokers bowed to you. Everyone couldn't believe it; a brotherhood submitting to a white uniform and giving him his crown brooch. No one would have done it if it wasn't for you."

     "I just got lucky," Max humbly answers.

     "How about the time you fought at Mr. Brains and Brawn? Did you get lucky on that too?" Cindy sarcastically asks, especially when everyone watched the whole thing. "We even had a live-streaming on that pageant. Everyone was that excited."

     "Honestly I just got lucky there too. Asahi wasn't willing to fight at the end anymore. If he tried to fight, even if I had more bullets, he could have won," he explains, but then he suddenly remembered something, something about what Asahi told him after the pageant was over.

     "A huge storm will fall upon the five houses."

     "What did he even mean?" Max unconsciously asks out loud, making Cindy look at him.

     "What is it?" She asks, but Max shakes his head and brushes it off.

     The two were now at the pavilion. Some of the students were still doing group projects there, so when they saw Max with Cindy, they couldn't help but stop and look. Some even took out their phones to take a picture. After all, Cindy is still the queen of her house. Like Viktor, it's rare to see her.

      "I can't believe you and Gav have been talking again. When we were kids you guys were stuck with each other like glue. Gav didn't have any siblings so we were more like family to him, especially to you," Cindy explains.

     Max unconsciously smiles, but then the smile fades as he looks at Cindy and asks her, "Cindy, do you remember the conversation we had during the Welcome Ball? When I told you that I didn't know anything about Viktor, and you told me that it made sense that uncle Janus wouldn't say anything to me because of what happened in the past. What did you mean by that?"

     Cindy stops walking, and a sad expression instantly appears on her face.

     "Max I—" When Cindy was about to say something, a raindrop suddenly falls on her cheek. The two of them look up in the sky and realize that it has now started to rain.

     Max sighs and wipes the raindrop on Cindy's cheek. "Let's head inside first," he tells her. Max then looks around to see where they can take shelter, but then he sees a large building just beside the pavilion. "I know where we can stay for the time being. Follow me."

     Max grabs hold of Cindy's arm as he leads her to a newly rebuilt building, the Greenhouse, or better known as BND's brotherhood base.

     The two head inside, and lucky for them, all of the Dukes were still there, drinking tea and eating biscuits while some read books and answered their homework. They honestly looked more like a prince than PHD.

    "Mind if we stay here for a while till the rain stops?" Max asks, making them stop what they're doing to look at him.

     "Max! What are you..." Marcus happily puts his book down to greet his brother, but then Cindy appears behind him, instantly making him stop moving, almost like he turned into a statue. The other members of BND stare at them with shock too. Even Red, who was quietly drinking, spilled the tea in his mouth when he saw her.