280 | Role Model

"WHAT'S THE POINT OF meeting with Klyde? To be real with you, there's no other reason for you to speak to him now that everything's cleared up in this house," Vesper Hugo Cinna, the Serfs Division's guard dog, truthfully tells Max as the two of them were having a smoke at the balcony of their dormitory.

     "And if I'm being honest, meeting up with him might only give you a reason to pity him. And believe me, Klyde is the last person who you should pity after the damage he did to St. George," Vesper continued to explain. 

    Max slowly exhaled the smoke out of his mouth, staring at the view of the Garden of Eden while the other students were eating lunch at the Dining Hall. After speaking with Reverend Mother Margaret earlier this morning, Max decided to talk to someone about what he'd do with the information given to him regarding Klyde, and seeking advice from someone like Vesper was the best option.

     It might look like an easy decision to make, but there's a reason why Mother Margaret gave him the option to choose between going or not. 

     Max thought about what he would even say to him. What are the questions he'd ask? Is it really a good idea to meet someone who hid from the public for years? Why does Klyde even want to speak with him alone? What is he planning to do or say to him? These questions made Max feel conflicted.

     "I mean, we listened to the same recordings, didn't we? Klyde did what he did because St. George Academy failed him first," Max explains.

    "And does that justify him fucking everyone else's lives?" Vesper answers back.

     "I'm not justifying it. I'm just...explaining. Villains are regular people who got stabbed in the back and thrown in the mud to rot. Sometimes when it's too much, they just give up on the world," Max explains further, and Vesper chuckles before inhaling the smoke from his cigarette stick.

     "We were both stabbed in the back, front, top, and bottom, but we didn't have the desire to just make everyone else's lives a living hell. Face it, some kids have natural evil in them. It's not their fault, but it's been innate in their system. You should know," Vesper clarifies next, and Max finishes his cigarette in frustration before throwing it inside the bin.

     "Klyde might know who this school was sold to, and that information can greatly help the Brotherhood Association, especially my uncle."

     "Or he might not know and you still went to visit him to wherever that address is, only to be spatted with bullshit. Remember Max, Klyde was trying to look for information about this school's mystery too and look what happened to him. It destroyed his life. There's something wrong in this house, Max. Something deeper than just the Ministry exploiting the students. Associating yourself with Klyde might put you in a lot of danger, and based on the path you're taking, you already have so much on your plate," Vesper truthfully says this time, making Max sigh while he continues to stare at the beautiful garden below them.

     "You did what you could for this school. There's no reason for you to associate yourself with someone who got tangled with dangerous people. I don't want you to—" Vesper stopped, finishing his cigarette and dropping it on the floor so he could step on it. After composing himself, he continued, "You asked for my advice, and as someone whose entire family got fucked up because I made a selfish decision to leave Crème de la Crème, I suggest you don't go. Your mission for this school is over. Let the association handle the rest. This is no longer your responsibility. Return to J.S High with the princes. That's all you have to think about now."

     Max carefully listens to Vesper's words of advice, reaching out to touch his necklace to make a final decision. But just as he was about to make up his mind, he suddenly felt the brooches in his collar, and the feeling of the cold metal on his fingertips made him remember that he didn't have to decide on this alone.