22.

Draco

Draco was irritated and confused.

Every time he looked at Isabella, a feeling surfaced. It wasn't like anything else, it was unique, and he wasn't sure what to make of it.

He couldn't believe it when he realised he'd kissed her. It just happened out of nowhere. He kept telling himself that he didn't like her, but it was difficult to believe his own thoughts when he had to remind himself of them all the time, as if to actually convince himself.

He left her alone once they arrived at the gala. He felt annoyance rise up alongside his desire to kiss her again. He kept looking around to make sure she was in his line of sight. He may have abandoned her, but he would not close his eyes.

"Come dance with me." He groaned as he looked over at Lily.

"You are aware that I do not dance." Lily pushed him out of his seat, rolling her eyes.

"Well, you do now." He didn't object when she dragged him to the dance floor as a slow song began to play, as he needed the distraction anyway.

As couples shuffled onto the floor, the people who were talking left.

Draco let his hands rest on Lily's waist, just above the curve of her hips, as she rested her arms on his shoulders.

Her gown was stunning, and she sparkled like a diamond. It was a simple silver gown that fell loosely after her hips, allowing her to move more freely. Her hair was up in a chignon bun, with a few stray hairs framing her face delicately. She wore a natural eye, and the bold shade of blood red on her lips enticed every man in the room.

Just not Draco.

Lily sighed deeply and flicked Draco's temple with her fingers. When he looked at her, she gave him a look that said, 'What the hell is wrong with you?'

"Seriously, what are you thinking?"

"Nothing." Ignoring her annoyed expression, he tried to cast a quick glance around for Isabella.

When he saw her sitting at one of the circular tables, picking at some food, he breathed a sigh of relief.

"That's what this is all about." He pretended to be confused as he looked at Lily.

"What?" She raised an eyebrow and returned her gaze to Isabella.

She turned around and gave him an unmistakable look.

"I just want to make sure she's doing okay." he said as she continued to stare daggers at him.

Lily scrunched her nose and snorted, indicating that she disliked Isabella. Of course, Draco was too dense in the head to realise this.

She spoke again, this time masked by her dislike for the girl he had brought along as a date.

"Why would you bring her if you were just going to leave her alone?" He didn't want to answer the question, so he clenched his jaw.

Particularly to Isabella. But he eventually responded.

"Something happened."

"What?" He groaned in frustration as he looked down for a second.

"I kissed her." Lily's form stiffened as the words tumbled from his mouth.

They were no longer swaying softly to the music, but rather standing still as she looked at his expression. As he told her, he wanted to see whatever it was he was feeling. Swallowing deeply, she nodded slowly, as if to accept this new information.