16.

Isabella

Isabella sat with boredom as the diner had no business at night.

Isabella used to think she enjoyed her alone time, but she didn't. When there is too much silence, people can go insane because they start hearing voices. Just to make themselves feel like they have company, but it's always strange in the end.

Sighing, she wiped another table furiously as the clock ticked slowly towards 1:00 a.m.

"Are you alright, honey?" Ruby asked, a comforting hand resting on Isabella's shoulder.

Isabella forced a small smile as she turned to face her.

"Yeah, why do you ask?"

"Well." Ruby began, her gaze flickering down to the spotless table.

"You're wiping down tables that you've already cleaned. Is there something distracting you? You appear to be deep in thought." Her voice was concerned and gentle, coaxing Isabella to reveal what had upset her.

"I'm not sure." Isabella whispered quietly.

"I guess I'm just tired of everything." Ruby pursed her lips and nodded.

"Why don't you go home? Tonight I'll close up." Isabella's eyes widened, and she shook her head.

"No, no, no. Anyway, today is my day." She wrapped up with a reassuring smile.

Ruby scoffed amusingly,

"What's the big deal? Friends help each other out. Isabella, you need to rest." Ruby was convincing, but Isabella was adamant about being the one to close the deal.

Isabella knew she worked herself too hard, but she also knew that if anyone needed to take an earlier shift to get home earlier, it had to be Ruby.

"Ruby." Isabella began as she took her hand in hers.

"It's alright." Isabella cut Ruby off as she opened her mouth to speak.

"I understand you have a makeup test tomorrow. Last time, the professor let you off with a warning, but if you don't do well on this test, that could be it. You should also return home to Riley. He won't sleep without you, and I know the babysitter left as soon as she put him to bed. He's probably sitting on the couch, trying to stay awake until you get home." She paused and squeezed Ruby's hand.

"Go home. I promise I'll be fine." Ruby blinked and shook her head after exhaling a deep breath she'd been holding.

"Thank you for being concerned and caring, Bell." she said, her smile quivering.

"But I'm not going to leave you. Why don't we finish together so we can get the job done faster? And you're welcome to stay over as well; Riley won't be happy about my need to study, so you could keep him company." With a shrug, she stated.

Isabella chewed the inside of her lips as she considered the invitation. She didn't see why she shouldn't stay with Riley. It was a Friday, after all, and Ruby probably needed someone to watch Riley while she was away taking her test the next day. If Isabella was already there, she could simply babysit him. There's no muss, no fuss.

Her eyes twinkled as she returned her gaze to Ruby.

Riley yearned for Isabella.

"What's the harm?" Ruby squealed and began talking about how much Riley missed Isabella.

Her heart swelled as she laughed lightly, knowing that there were few people she had befriended and who had the courage to befriend her, but those people were genuine and kind. They didn't leave her.