11.

Isabella

Isabella despised rumours, which spread like wildfire.

The day Draco and Isabella were trapped in school managed to remain a mystery for three weeks. Then it went up in flames.

The secret was entertaining while it lasted.

It was strange to walk through the halls while people stared at her. She'd been through the stares process before, but it was usually just a few here and there.

She had both of each student's eyes on her right now. Whispers flooded her ears, and nasty words made her cringe subtly. She quickened her pace and attempted to flee as quickly as she could. The longer she stayed, the more likely she was to be harmed in some way.

Her father enjoyed hurting her in places where she was already hurting. If she came home with a bruise on her hip, her father would probably find out and hit her in that spot.

She dashed into the janitor's closet, anticipating a similar situation later in the day.

She didn't mind if she skipped lunch. She'd done it before, and she'd been deprived of food on a regular basis, so going hungry was nothing new to her.

Relief flooded her veins as the door blocked the view of everyone gossiping about her as they walked down to lunch. She felt sorry for Draco.

She slid down the stairs and rested her back against the shelf behind her. She snorted and tried to calm herself. Her lungs were filled with anxiety and panic, and her breaths were short. Her hands began to tremble slightly. A whimper slipped past her lips as she squeezed her eyes shut. Tears blurred her vision as she opened her eyes.

A tear finally escaped by blinking. And there were many more after that.

"Stop." she said to herself.

If she went on, it would be more difficult to conceal the redness and puffiness around her eyes. Everyone would be aware of what they had done. That they had caused her to cry. They would all rejoice.

She heard footsteps as she wiped the tears that continued to fall. They got closer and closer until they finally came to a halt right outside the closet.

She tried to muffle her whimpers, holding her breath, so as not to reveal her hiding place.

A knock came at the door.

"Isabella." The voice was hesitant and soft.

She furrowed her brows while biting her lip.

"Draco?" Her voice was faint and almost nonexistent, but it was clear enough for him to hear.

"May I come in?" he asked softly.

She remained silent.

She wasn't sure if he was allowed in. What brought him here? She'd overheard all the harsh mutterings. He didn't have to be near her. She was already an embarrassment. But she didn't think of him or his reputation for some reason.

She reflected on herself. And how all she needed was a shoulder to cry on.

"Yes." She squinted as she watched the handle turn and light flood the room.

Draco entered the small space and shut the door before pulling on the small chain to turn on the old dimly lit bulb.

They made eye contact by her looking up at him. She didn't know why he had a frown on his face, but she had a feeling.

His association with her was wreaking havoc on his social standing. He'd said it before, and he was absolutely correct. She had pushed that thought to the back of her mind, but it was haunting her at the moment. It was so loud that she winced.