Chapter 185 - Legend of the Ten Holy Paladins

The fragment of Splitting Edge was a silver-white, rhombus-shaped shard of metal. Its surface was meticulously scored with shallow grooves, forming Yemos Runes which were named after their creator-Legendary Blacksmith Yemos. According to historical accounts, Yemos was still an Advanced Blacksmith when he first forged the Splitting Edge. Its blueprints would later be copied and passed down to a few, select Blacksmiths across the continent.

The Splitting Edge was a rare, low-level Charge Weapon which came with a supplementary skill. The charge referred to the fact that the weapon had to be charged to a certain extent for the skill to be activated, so the wielder couldn't abuse it as they pleased. After the skill was released, the weapon would be drained of its energy and the player would have to wait for it to slowly replenish.

While Charge Weapons could be found at higher levels, the Splitting Edge was the only available weapon of its kind for low-level Thief players, and it had amazing properties to boot. Outside of Sub Legendary and Legendary weapons, it ranked as the number one Thief weapon below level 50. It was no wonder players nicknamed it the best vegetable knife[1. The character for vegetable in Chinese is slang for noob. So vegetable knife means noob weapon in this context.] in the game!

In the previous timeline, Nie Yan at Level 39 had run the Blood Marsh over half-a-dozen times and spent over 3 gold in the loot auction in order to finally obtain twenty fragments of Splitting Edge. He wasn't nearly as rich back then, so the endeavor had directly transformed him into a penniless wretch.

Under normal circumstances, Nie Yan would have to bring a task force of three twenty-man teams, composed entirely of Level 30 players, in order to clear out all the mobs in the central hall of the Light Monastery. However, since he had the Silk Spinner Ring and Crawler Ring, things were much simpler.

With several teams working together to clear out an area, a player who wanted a certain drop would have to divvy out money to everyone else in the group as compensation. Even then, they might not necessarily end up with it because others would undoubtedly be eyeing the same thing as well.

However, solo-clearing was different. All of the drops would belong to Nie Yan.

Who knows? Maybe after clearing out all the Corrupted Silver Paladins in this place, he'd have a complete Splitting Edge to himself.

Having taken down the Corrupted Silver Paladin, Nie Yan glanced at his experience bar. It had filled up to about 17%. These guys give pretty good experience. I guess this isn't a bad spot to do some levelling.

Nie Yan began the process of clearing out all the mobs in the area. He employed the same method as before, as a stream of crossbow bolts sent Corrupted Silver Paladins collapsing to the floor one after another.

After killing his fifth Corrupted Silver Paladin, a bright radiance enveloped Nie Yan as he levelled up to Level 19.

He was fast approaching Level 20.

Nie Yan had collected five Splitting Edge fragments so far, one for each Corrupted Silver Paladin killed. He scanned up ahead. Many more were still left, especially around the two dark gold chests. Both chests were surrounded by hosts of monsters.

The drop rate for fragments is decent.

「Thud!」Another Corrupted Silver Paladin collapsed. Walking to its corpse, Nie Yan picked up a piece of equipment and a small book.

Paladin's Prayer (Quest Item)
Description: Carry the Paladin's Prayer with you on your journey to seek out the true fates of the Ten Holy Paladins. You will uncover astonishing truths.