TRAVELER

forty-three | Traveler

Two weeks later

The moon was hidden behind large rain clouds, their greyness painting the dark sky, shading it lighter than what it should be. It would sprinkle every now and then, but Technoblade wasn't worried, it shouldn't rain until morning anyways. I had no clue how he was able to tell, but I didn't say anything, and kept Carl following slightly behind his horse. There wasn't much to look at in the plains, an oak tree here and there, a few patches of flowers scattered about, a bat or two flying around. There was a village a few miles back, we didn't stay for long, but restocked our supplies, then left when we had everything we needed.

That was how the travels went so far, we'd travel on our horses for miles, or until we ran low on supplies, then we would find some place to restock on food and fresh water. If there wasn't a village near by, Technoblade would set up some traps for food, and I would get water to boil over a fire. The food didn't taste as good as it would with proper seasonings other than salt and pepper, but we couldn't be too picky. We were in the wilderness after all, we didn't exactly have the privilage of being picky. The water was always a little too warm to be refreshing, and the food a little too bland or too salty to taste good, but we made do. Technoblade and I have made do for a little over two weeks, and we have yet had a stable conversation that hadn't fallen in.

He would ask if I was alright every now and then, I would say yes and ask the same, with the same reply. He would ask if I wanted to stop at the village up ahead, and sometimes we would, sometimes we wouldn't. I would ask if he wanted more to eat, and the answer was always yes. It was never more, never less.

Awkwardness lingered in the air every time we didn't speak, and tension when we did. There was a history begging to be brought up, but it always stayed buried in the dark, no matter how many times I tried to put my thoughts into words. Technoblade would glance over his shoulder while we rode, and while we ate, but never said much, as if he were afraid it would drive me away. It was as if saying anything at all would send me running back to the nation we left behind.

I couldn't blame him, I was on the verge of madness, the darkness of the abyss pulling me in every time I close my eyes. I couldn't blame him for not holding a conversation for longer than a minute, I could barely do the same.

Technoblade stalled his horse, His head tilted to the sky. Carl stopped just right behind the man, stomping at the ground. The wind picks up, throwing my hair over my shoulder, blowing behind me. Technoblade shields his eyes with her hand, clean from his golden gauntlets. His pink hair flows in the wind, blocking my view of him. I close my eyes, feeling the slight spray of rain hitting my face.

I guess it was going to rain a little earlier than we expected.

"I think we should find a cave or something to camp out for now. It looks like its gonna get pretty nasty out here!" He shouts over the loud wind, I hear the jingle of his saddle against his boots, the clanging of his sword.

Opening my eyes I see him staring at me, his mouth parted and hand holding onto his saddle bag in fear it would blow away. The wind dies down just as thunder rumbles in the distance, lightning following shortly after. I find myself staring at the flashing lights in the clouds, feeling the vibrations of the trees as the thunder rattled the earth. I felt leaves on the trees as they fell from the branches. I felt the lightning spiderweb through the sky, glowing as it hit the ground. I was enchanted by the way nature seemed so destructive, yet it was so beautiful. So self destructive, yet so beautiful.

"Vienna?" I heard Technoblade say, a hand laying onto my shoulder. I could hear the rain, see how it darkened the other side of the plains. We'd be drenched, the horses were starting to stir, starting to move away from the deafening sound. "We should move."

"Yeah.., yeah, lead the way.." I whisper, still staring into the rain.

It was calming.

772 words.

I'm alive.

I've got two weeks off of school for winter break, and now it's time to learn to write again.