Amariya: The Runaway Bride

By KTheWinner

AN AREWA STORY NEEDS HEAVY EDITING! I had been running for a very long time and I was tired already. I panted... More

Introduction
1• An Ungrateful Friend
2• My Troublesome Sibling
3• I'm Sorry
5• We've Landed In Trouble
6• Everything Happens For A Reason
7• Danger
8• Opening Up
9• Plans And Schemes
10• Khadijah's Special Day
11• CAST
12• Change Of Plans
13• Divorce 1
14• Divorce 2
15• Reminisence
16• Where Is She?
17• Mission Accomplished?
Character aesthetics ✨

4• ... Now They Know

207 54 35
By KTheWinner

~Khadijah~

"Okay, I'm sorry for how I reacted, Mama," I said trying to calm myself
"So, we made profit right?" I asked looking at her frowned face.
"Right?" I repeated and Mama started sobbing.
She sobbed loudly. I understood the message she was trying to pass across. I became angry but I tried not to show it and behaved as understanding as I could so she could feel better. I wanted her to tell me exactly what was eating her up.
Why did she do this?

"The day before yesterday..." She began and I listened attentively.

"...I went to Umma godiya's house to talk with her. I was telling her about our current situation and she suggested I sold the land and the farm produce we just harvested so I could buy a bigger land from someone else at a better rate. She promised to introduce the person to me and she said that the man lived in Abuja and he will have to come the next day. I thought it was a good plan so I agreed."

"She called the man whose name was hamza and we spoke through the phone. He agreed to sell our land for five hundred thousand Naira and offer us a much bigger one at the same amount.
Umma godiya called me yesterday and told me that the man couldn't make it here but he had already sold our land and he will use the money to get us another. He promised to call today."

"Today, I decided to visit Umma godiya and spend some time at her house again. I waited patiently for hamza's call but he never called. It turned out he was a fraudster and he ran away with all our money but he already sold the land to someone else. I felt ashamed for what I had done and blamed Umma godiya for everything, " I felt really sad for her, for us.

So we are now victims of fraud?

Mama sobbed loudly and I pattted her back slowly.

"Umma godiya said she never knew who the man really was but it was her son in Abuja that told her about him. Now what do we do Khadijah. What have I done? I'm so happy that I didn't sell our farm produce if not, we won't have anything left. " She said sobbing loudly.

"Mama, Allah will help us. We will solve this problem Insha Allah." I said trying to console her.

When she had finally calmed down, I walked out of her room and back in with her food. I forgot to get a basin of water so she could wash her hands before eating so I ran out and came back with it. She washed her hands and thanked me before I left her room.

I didn't feel like eating anymore after hearing the sad story mama told me which I couldn't believe was our current situation, I prayed silently and laid back-down on my mat to do what I could do best, think.

Now we've lost our land which was all we depended on and we have no money at all. The only thing we have now is food. At least we're sure we'll survive for a certain amount of time but what will happen when it's all gone? How will we survive? Mama has ten other siblings and four step-siblings They all live in big cities and forgot about her. She doesn't even have their phone numbers. They only visit us during the holidays with their children and they would give us some money for sweets before going back to their base. Mama's parents died a long time ago even before I was born so there was no running to them for help. They died in a ghastly motor accident and Mama grew up in her uncle's house with four other siblings while the rest live with other uncles and aunts. Uba has four siblings and eight step-siblings. Five of them live in the village and the rest live in cities outside Kaduna. We could go to them for help! They'll probably rebuke us for selling our father's inherited land to an unknown person.

I let out a sigh.

'We're really in big trouble'. I said then gave out another sigh and adjusted the piece of folded material under my head before I slept off.

~°~°~°~

Khadijah set off for the little journey to the well with two buckets and a rope in her hands. Hassana was talking to her and Fatiah and Habiba were with them. She didn't seem to mind, she looked so engrossed in whatever Hassana was saying and so were the other two. After much laughter in between Hassana's tales, there was silence.

"Have you heard the latest news?" Hassana asked. They shook their heads and she went on.
"The newly elected commissioner is coming to town."
"The commissioner for what exactly?" Habiba asked
"The commissioner for water resources, Idris Muhammad. He's finally here to fulfill his political pledge to provide pipe-borne water in all the local governments. It's finally our turn!" Hassana said excitedly.
They all smiled and kept on walking.

"I can't wait to say goodbye to that old well at least we can all rest." Fatiah said and they all laughed. Soon they were at the well and Khadijah tied a rope on the handle of one of her buckets and threw it in the well. She had forgotten to hold the other end of the rope and it fell together with the bucket into the deep well.

"Ooooh!My bucket just fell into the well!" she exclaimed and they ended their discussion to help her. They had finished fetching their own buckets of water and other girls who were waiting for her on the line were becoming impatient.

"What's all this. You'll make us late for school!"
One of the girls said.

Hassana immediately dipped her hand into her bucket and brought out a big hook attached to a line. She threw it into the well and slowly steered it until it landed beside the handle of the bucket. She finally hooked it and brought it out with the bucket then handed it over to khadijah who took it happily and expressed her gratitude with a "thank you."

"Khadijah, next time you're coming remember to bring a rope and a hook just incase something goes wrong. I don't want what just happened to repeat itself ." Hassana scolded playfully.
"Yes ma. I have heard you."

"But there will be no need for that. We'll finally get access to tap water," Fatiah reminded.

"Let's get going before we're late." Hassana said.

"That's true." Habiba said. They helped each other to lift their buckets on their head and quickened their steps while Khadijah silently wished she could be a student just like them.

~Khadijah~

Hauwa salam-ed when I walked into the compound and helped me to lift the bucket down from my head. I appreciated her and kept my rope and the second bucket on the concrete floored frontage. I walked into Mama's room and greeted her. she replied coldly. When we were all done with our various chores, Hauwa reminded me to get ready so we would leave for the farm.

Then I remembered that my siblings were not aware of the unfortunate situation we had landed in. I just nodded and told her that I needed to change first. I rushed into the room I shared with my siblings and changed from a long skirt and blouse made of Atampa (colourful decorated fabric) and a black hijab to a long hijab with long sleeves which covered my whole body from head to toe.

My sisters were waiting for me and Maryam screamed my name one more time to confirm if I was still going with them. "Ya Khadijah, har za ka sa ke tafiya da mu?(Are you still going with us?)"

"Yes!" I shouted. I came out some minutes later and we left for the farm leaving the twins alone with Mama.
We were unusually quiet as we walked on our way to the farm.

I was shocked although I had no reason to be when I saw unfamiliar people working on the land once owned by us. I looked beside me to see my sisters dumbfounded. They didn't understand what was going on. I did but tried not to get their attention.

This might be our chance to finally know who currently owned this land and what he or she planned to do with it. I cleared my throat to get their attention. One of them looked at me.

"As Salamu Alaikum."
"Wa Alaikum Salaam." He answered and kept on cutting the grass with the cutlass in his hand.
"If I may ask, what are you planning to do with this land? And who owns it? You're doing a pretty good job" I commended trying my best not to sound suspicious. My sisters looked at me in confusion.

"We're clearing the land for our oga in Abuja who wants to build a house here." He answered and kept on slashing the tall grasses as sweat beads dripped from his forehead.

I felt disgusted by their appearance. They looked so rugged and I was sure they wouldn't be paid much for all this. They're working for a criminal or even an accomplice. What's the difference? and they don't even know. The present owner might know that he bought the land from a fraudster but it's not fair. What if they planned it? What can we even do? Their oga is a rich man for sure and we're just... Nobodies. I sighed and replied.

"okay, well done. Do a good job ooh." I said and smiled sheepishly drawing my sisters to a corner.

"I know you'll hate to hear this but...,"
I said as I began to give them a summary of what transpired between my mother, Umma Godiya and the fraudster. They were as shocked as I had been yesterday night when Mama explained the ordeal to me. We walked back home and I could tell my sisters were frustrated.

A/N: Hey gems 💎, I hope you like the chapter.
Will they be able to recover their land?

Don't forget to hit the star button and leave a comment. Also Spread the word about this book. Sorry that this book is mostly in Khadijah's POV and from the Narrator's point of view. There'll be chapters in other characters POV soon. I promise 😉

Remember, I update at least twice a week.

This chapter is dedicated to itz_leeyah, Ethanayaoyao and Fireball_Storm10

All the x's all the O's ❤️
-Kosy 💎

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 36.3K 61
WATTYS WINNER When her fiancé ends up in a coma and his secret mistress, Halley, shows up, Mary feels like her world is falling apart. What she does...