VILE

By Uche_Valery

Tomike is a young Nigerian programmer living in Boston, trying to pave a way for herself far away from her ho... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: The Present
Chapter 2: The Past
Chapter 3: The Present
Chapter 4: The Past
Chapter 5: The Past
Chapter 6: The Present
Chapter 7: The Present
Chapter 8: The Past
Chapter 9: The Past
Chapter 10: The Past
Chapter 11: The Past
Chapter 12: The Present
Chapter 13: The Past
Chapter 14: The Past
Chapter 15: The Past
Chapter 16: The Past
Chapter 17: The Present
Chapter 18: The Past
Chapter 19: The Past
Chapter 20: The Present
Chapter 21: The Present
Chapter 22: The Present
Chapter 23: The Present
Chapter 24: The Past
Chapter 25: The Past
Chapter 26: The Present
Chapter 27: The Present
Chapter 28: The Present
Chapter 29: The Present
Chapter 30: The Present
Chapter 32: The Present
Chapter 33: The Present
Chapter 34: The Present
Chapter 35: The Present
Chapter 36: The Present
Chapter 37: The Present
Chapter 38: The Present
Chapter 39: The Present
Chapter 40: The Past
Chapter 41: The Past
Chapter 42: The Present
Chapter 43: The Present
Chapter 44: The Past
Chapter 45: The Present
Chapter 46: The Present
Chapter 47: The Present
Chapter 48: The Present
Chapter 49: The Present
Chapter 50: The Present
Chapter 51: The Present
Chapter 52: The Present
Chapter 53: The Present
Chapter 54: The Present
Epilogue

Chapter 31: The Present

257 81 1
By Uche_Valery

"Tomike, what are we doing at the airport?" Todd asked as he and Tomike walked through glass automatic sliding doors that was the entrance to the crowded airport.

"There is someone coming from home to visit and I want you to meet this person" Tomike had a forced smile on her face, trying hard to convince herself that all would be well. She couldn't think of a better way to break the news to Todd asides facing him with it.

"Who is 'this person' you are talking about Tomi. You didn't mention this to me earlier, why?"

They both walked the shiny marble floors, Tomike checking for which gate Dayo would emerge, and Todd following closely behind, not sure where they were going.

"Because I didn't know how you would react. Just relax would you, all your questions will be answered soon"

Todd was now right beside Tomike, he halted and looked down at her, his brow furrowed and muscular arms across his chest.

"Wait a minute, are you dating someone? Did you meet someone on your trip back home? That must be it! You don't have to be so weird about it you know"

Tomike rolled her eyes as she looked away without a word, and continued her search. If only he knew. He had no hint whatsoever on what was about to happen.

Meet someone? Jeez, like I'm interested in anyone else. Clueless as usual.

"That must be it right? Right?" He said as he tried to catch up with her, taking long strides. And soon he did with a few steps, his long legs aiding him. He tried to push Tomike's face to look at his.

"Look, he'll be here in a couple of minutes, I'm sure his plane must have landed by now. That should be his gate" Tomike pointed as she finally came to a stop.

"He? I knew... "

"Dayo!" Tomike walked sharply towards her son who was carrying a bagpack as well as dragging behind him two large traveling bags. As she approached him, they hugged.

Their hug was quick as Tomike detached herself from it within seconds. She wasn't excited and the last thing she wanted to do was feign she was.

Dayo on the other hand looked like he had won the winning lottery ticket. He looked around as he admired in awe his new surrounding.

Todd was left in the midst of the crowd confused, and not sure what to make of what he was witnessing. "He looks too young to be her... " He shook his head as the idea was stupid. He decided to simply wait and see like Tomike had suggested earlier.

After Tomike and Dayo had exchanged pleasantries, they walked back to where Todd stood, a few meters away. She helped him with one of his bags.

"You surely packed a lot didn't you?" She blurted out in a sarcastic manner.

"Yeah, since I'm staying here permanently I didn't want to leave much behind" Dayo was smiling so much if he wasn't of African decent, a pink patch would have appeared on his cheeks.

Tomike ignored his comment of staying permanently as she swallowed hard. She had not yet come to terms with the fact that Dayo would be staying with her for a long, long time, not bound to go anywhere anytime soon.

"Hello there" Todd greeted a rather confused Dayo who was only able to reply "Hi". He now looked to his mother for an explanation and so did Todd.

Tomike was silent. She wasn't sure why, but she felt extremely nervous. She was tempted to lie to Todd but knew she couldn't because it would make things awkward between her and Dayo. Todd cleared his throat, reminding Tomike of her reality.

"Dayo, meet Todd. He's a friend of mine and has helped me tremendously since I moved to the US" She looked over to Todd, "Todd, this is Dayo..... My son" she paused as she dropped the last phrase, waiting for his reaction.

Todd's shock could by no means be hidden. He first looked confused, expecting Tomike to clear up the mistake she must have just made. But soon enough he realized it was no joke. He quickly collected his composure, so as not to look completely clueless.

"Oh, I see. Hello Dayo, nice to meet you"

"Nice to meet you too sir"

"Oh no, please call me Todd. Let me help you with that" Todd reached out to get Dayo's other traveling bag.

"This way" was the only thing that Tomike could say as she led Dayo out of the noisy, busy airport. Todd slowly followed.

As they got into the car, Tomike tried to get a glimpse of Todd's face. He looked upset, although he was trying very hard to hide it. All through the ride as Todd drove, there was little to no dialogue between the three. Todd constantly avoided eye contact with Tomike, barely spearing her a glance.
Dayo who was too mesmerized by his new surroundings, barely noticed anything was wrong.

Tomike felt a tighten in her chest, there and then she knew she had messed up bad.

                   **********

"A son Tomike, a freaking son? How in God's name did you hide such a thing from me" Todd was obviously trying his best to calm himself down.

They were back at Tomike's apartment and Dayo was freshening up. They stood in her living space, Todd trying not to lose his cool, and Tomike ready to get on the defensive incase Todd was about to attack.

"I know you are already judging me for it, but can you please hear me out?"

"Judge you! Are you freaking kidding me right now? The fact you have a son is no problem, I mean these things happen, but you not telling me? That's treachery Tomike, come on!"

"I'm sorry, okay? I just wasn't sure how you'd react. This is exactly what I was trying to prevent"

"No, no, no, baby girl, you are not going to pin this on me. I would definitely not have reacted this way if you told me earlier this week, or you know what? How about the last four years we've been friends, if you had told me then I definitely wouldn't be this mad at you right now. I'm your friend for God's sake. I thought we were that close"

"Well it's not as if you tell me everything about your life Todd"

"Don't you even dare say that Tomike because you know I do" and Tomike knew he was right. From the fact he was adopted, to the family feud back home, and even the guilt he felt after he and an ex had decided to abort a child they had had together, Tomike knew it all.

"I'm sorry Todd, I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I was ashamed, I.. I... " Tomike slumped into her couch as tears started coming down her eyes.

She knew she had wronged him by not telling him. She knew he wouldn't judge her, he wasn't that kind of person. But she used that as an excuse to keep silent. She just wanted to escape her past, not let it stain who she had become. But alas, the two had become one, perfectly fused together by all that had happened that year including Iya Bose's death.

"Hey, hey it's fine, okay? Don't cry please, you know I hate to see you cry" Todd rushed to her side.

"You won't understand Todd" Tomike's effort to hold back her tears proved fruitless.

"Try me" he held her face up and looked into her eyes. Tomike almost got lost for a minute but soon recollected herself. She took Todd's hand that was rested on her chin and held it.

"Look I'm sorry okay? You have been my confidant for years now and you deserved to know. I was just really insecure about the whole thing" she wiped her face.

"How old is he?"

"He'll be 16 this year"

"Wow! Really? How old were you when you had him?"

Tomike hesitated before answering.
"Fourteen"

"You were really young. Is that why you didn't want to tell me about it?"

"Yeah, something like that"

"People must have judged you a lot, but Tomi, I'm not people. I get that life happens to us sometimes. I'm just proud of you that you didn't take it out. Unlike some of us" he looked down.

"Hey, don't do that. You made a mistake, but you're a much better man for it. You know better now, no need to do that to yourself, no need to feel guilty"

Todd nodded as a sad smile appeared on his face. Tomike soon realised she was still holding on to his hand and let go.
Lead us not into temptation Lord.
She swallowed hard.

"Where is his father?"

Tomike was ready to tell the truth, but knew Dayo could come in at anytime, so she stuck with the original story, which was of course a lie.

"He is late. He and I never saw eye to eye after Dayo was born though. He was never really a part of our lives"

"That's sad"

Just then Dayo walked in.

"I'm all done ma" he told his mother as he shyly walked across the room to where she was seating.

"I don't have anything at home right now, so we'll be going out to eat with Todd"

"Okay. I'm ready" he beamed. His smile irritated Tomike.

"Looking like this? It's late summer but I'll still advice you wear a jacket, or a long sleeved shirt at least. Trust me when I say the weather will be too cold for you"

"Okay ma" he sprinted into the room and was back a few moments later with a purple and black sweat shirt

"Much better" Tomike said as she stood.

The three were soon swallowed up by the door as they stepped out for dinner.

                     *********

I promised two chapters on Friday, but today is Monday and I updated just one chapter....
Forgive me guys 😭😭
But look on the bright side, this chapter is so long you can consider it a two in one package 😋😉... Lol
I hope you have a great week! Don't forget to vote share and comment. Don't just read and pass o! I'd love to hear from you.
Ciao. ❤❤

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

66.4K 18.5K 64
❝She was like a perfect paradise, tearing at its seam.❞ To everyone, Chimdi Gentry lived the perfect life with her Celebrity mom, godmother and her m...
58.9K 1.5K 115
Y/n L/n,a girl with a powerful quirk, was dreaming to go into UA, living with her mother : Sana L/n, and her older brother Siji L/n. She had a very h...
12.1K 1.9K 47
COMPLETED Elliana Williams has lived in Chicago all her life, but as punishment for always getting into fights, she is sent to Nigeria, Her mother's...
66.4K 16.9K 36
Aisha thought she had her whole life mapped perfectly but things weren't going as planned...and yes, in the worst way possible. She needed an escape...