Here We Are

By universebunny

"We don't need things like memories" ~~~~~ Being one of Inarizaki's Volleyball managers is tough, the countle... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Routines
Chapter 2: I'll work hard!
Chapter 3: Foxes
Chapter 4: You haven't changed
Chapter 5: Inarizaki VS Shiratorizawa
Chapter 6: Inarizaki VS Shiratorizawa Part 2
Chapter 7: Code Blue
Chapter 8: Tokyo Teams
Chapter 9: Sakusa Kiyoomi
Chapter 10: Itachiyama Volleyball Club
Chapter 11: Tomorrow
Chapter 12: Seize Your Moment
Chapter 13: Behold Today's Champions
Chapter 14: Winners and Losers
Chapter 15: Summer
Chapter 16: Second-Year Shenanigans
Chapter 17: In Due Time
Chapter 18: And So It Begins.
Chapter 19: Reprise
Chapter 20: Turn it Around
Chapter 21: Intense Force
Chapter 22: The struggles of the weak-willed
Chapter 23: The 'Talented'
Chapter 24: Rivals
Chapter 25: Simple, Pure Strength
Chapter 26: Until We Meet Again
Chapter 27: Consequences
Chapter 28: Atsumu and Y/N
Chapter 29: Through the Time
Chapter 30: Rerun
Chapter 31: Love/Expectations
Chapter 32: Where Monsters Go
Chapter 33: Care
Chapter 34: Not Alone
Chapter 35: It'll soon be Spring
Chapter 36: Solitude
Chapter 37 - Finally Here; The Starting Point
Chapter 38: Challengers
Chapter 39: This is War
Chapter 40: Monster's Banquet
Chapter 41: Captain
Chapter 42: The Promised Place
Chapter 43: The Day of Change
Chapter 44: Those Who Have Lost
Chapter 45: Solace
Chapter 46: Our Spring Comes To An End
Chapter 48: Thank you, goodbye.
Chapter 49: Endings and Beginnings
Chapter 50: Rebirth
Chapter 51: Room to Grow
Chapter 52: Change
Chapter 53: Synergy
Chapter 54: Let The Games Begin
Chapter 55: Awkward
Chapter 56: Pushing Forward
Chapter 57: The Bonds We Make
Chapter 58: Preparations
Chapter 59: One Step Forward

Chapter 47: Love

4.8K 303 370
By universebunny

"The thing is Atsumu, when it comes to the love of the game... that flame burns a bit brighter in you than in me, y'know?"

"Nice serve!"

Riseki spins the ball in his hands as he concentrates, tossing it into the air as he sends over a powerful serve. In an instant, Kyoku shifts over and barely manages to get it up.

"Hnng-!" Kyoku grunts as the ball bounces away, sighing as Riseki cheers.

"Yuss!"

"Dammit Riseki! Yer gettin' so good at serving it's starting to piss me off!" Kyoku groans as Riseki laughs.

"Well, you're receives are also improving heaps, Kyoku-kun." Kagawa smiles as she shows them her notebook. "Both of you have been improving heaps these past few weeks, I'm super impressed!"

"Thanks!"

"I kinda wanna improve more though..." Riseki mumbles as he thinks to himself. "But I don't know who I should ask to help me..."

"Why not Atsumu-kun?" Kagawa asks as Riseki and Kyoku instantly start vigorously shaking their heads.

"Nope, nope."

"Aww c'mon, why not?"

"...He's scary." Riseki whispers as the three of them discreetly glance at Atsumu who's doing serving drills on the other court.

"Yeah, and askin' him for help will just boost his ego..." Kyoku mutters as he sighs. "I kinda wish Akagi-san stopped by the club more... I wanna learn from him!"

"I can help ya with that." Ginjima interrupts as the three of them glance at him. "Sure I'm not as great a receiver as Akagi, but I think I'm pretty stable in terms of receives."

"G-Ginjima-san!" Kyoku gasps as his eyes start sparkling.

"As for you Riseki, if ya don't wanna ask Atsumu, why not ask Osamu? His serves are really good too." Ginjima says as Riseki perks up slightly, but hesitates. Sensing his hesitation, Ginjima chuckles as he pats him on the shoulder. "How 'bout I ask Osamu for ya?"

"G-Ginjima-san!"

Shaking her head, Kagawa walks over to the other court that Y/N is overlooking, nudging her and gesturing to Ginjima and the first years. "I think all the first years are in love with Gin."

"Well yeah, who else would they be in love with? Atsumu?" Y/N mutters sarcastically as Atsumu instantly turns around and glares at her.

"I KNOW YER TRASH TALKIN' ME!"

"'Kay."

"DON'T IGNORE ME!"

The Inarizaki team sweat drops at this as they sigh. Just another ordinary day.

~  ~  ~  ~  ~

Atsumu huffs in frustration as he repeatedly bangs his head on the table while Suna sits beside him scrolling through his phone in a bored manner. Now that they're in their final term as second years, they have to take their studies seriously for their final exams.

The studying process would be much easier if they weren't so reluctant to do their homework. The only person actually doing their work properly in Ginjima, who for saw this situation and brought noise cancelation headphones while Y/N finds her patience slowly starting to drain as Atsumu continues banging his head on the table. Just before she's about to tell him off, Osamu kicks him under the table.

"Geh-! 'Samu!" Atsumu groans as he flops in his seat.

"What." Osamu deadpans as Atsumu rolls his eyes and glares at him.

"You kicked me."

"Did I?"

"Yes!"

"I didn't see anything." Suna pipes up, not taking his eyes off his phone as Atsumu turns and glares at him.

"Not you too Suna!"

"I didn't see anythin' either." Y/N says as Atsumu faceplants into the table.

"Not you too...!"

Rolling her eyes, Y/N kicks Atsumu under the table as he jumps, groaning as he glares at her while she smiles innocently in response. "Shouldn't you be, y'know, doin' yer homework?"

"But whyyy...!" Atsumu whines as they all roll their eyes at his childishness. "I just wanna play volleyball after I graduate! I don't needa study for that!"

"You need to study so you can pass and get out of school." Y/N deadpans as she sighs. "I can't wait to graduate so I can finally wipe my high school memories."

"We don't need things like memories." Suna mutters wistfully as they ignore him.

"Exactly! You don't wanna study either!" Atsumu exclaims. "Why do we hafta pass our exams anyway? You don't even needa study for the things you wanna do later, I don't needa study, 'Samu doesn't needa study-"

"Wait, why don't we needa study?" Osamu asks as they all glance at him.

"Uhh, coz we don't need good grades for volleyball?" Atsumu explains, a little confused. "As long as we get scouted then it's all good."

Osamu pauses for a bit as he internally sighs. "...What makes you think I wanna keep playing volleyball with you?"

"Huh?? What's that s'pose to mean??"

Y/N avoids eye contact as she puts her head down and goes back to blankly staring at her textbook.

Osamu still hasn't told him.

"Hey, Osamu." Suna calls as he quickly walks over, Osamu turns around and nods.

"Yeah?"

"What are you planning on doing after high school?" Suna asks, straight to the point as Osamu blinks in surprise.

"Why are'ya askin'?"

Suna shrugs. "I don't know, it just kind of feels like you and Atsumu aren't on the same page."

"...I'm quittin' volleyball after I graduate."

"Oh." Suna mutters simply as Osamu tilts his head in confusion.

"Wait, that's it? I thought you'd be more surprised."

"Yeah, I thought so too." Suna mutters as he shrugs. "I think I'm more surprised at the fact that I'm actually not that surprised."

"Huh, am I that predictable?" Osamu asks as he sighs. "Well, what d'ya think I wanna do after I graduate?"

"I don't know, disappear under mysterious circumstances then magically appear with loads of cash?"

"I think that's the life you want, Suna." Osamu deadpans as Suna smiles cheekily. "But no, I wanna do somethin' to do with food and food service, like own a restaurant."

"Ohhh, friend discount?" Suna asks as Osamu rolls his eyes.

"What if I never actually get the restaurant, Suna?"

"Then just disappear under mysterious circumstances." Suna shrugs boredly as Osamu facepalms.

"You do that first then tell me how it goes."

"Alright~" Suna chimes as he pauses for a moment. "...So Atsumu the Dumb doesn't know yet."

"No, Atsumu the Dumb has no idea." Osamu mumbles as Suna nods solemnly and pats his shoulder.

"Tell me how it goes."

"...I think you'll see how it goes."

~  ~  ~  ~  ~

"..."

Atsumu and Osamu glare at the air in front of them as they refuse to face each other, sitting on the ground as they angrily ignore each other's presence. Filing his fingernails, Atsumu uncharacteristically remains silent as Suna and Ginjima notice their anger.

"Huh? Okay, what's set the twins off this time?" Suna asks.

"Apparently it's official now, Osamu's done with volleyball after high school." Ginjima mutters as they both watch them carefully.

"Ahhh... that." Suna mutters.

"I made up my mind a long time ago." Osamu starts as Atsumu finally turns around and glances at him. "I told myself that I was gonna get a job dealin' with food and food service. And that was that."

"Who says the one who sticks with volleyball is the more successful on by default, huh?" Osamu asks, slowly raising his voice as his glare becomes more intense. "I didn't pick this career outta some kind of compromise, or coz I didn't think I could make it."

Atsumu doesn't say a word as Osamu's emotions finally get the best of him, grabbing the collar of his jacket as his arms tremble in pent up rage.

"If you're so dang confident..." Osamu seethes. "So dang sure you'll be the happier one, then come back when we're 80-year-old geezers! Wait until then to laugh in my face and say you were happier!"

Atsumu's glare hardens at Osamu's words as he slowly lets out a heavy breath.

"Okay then. If that's the way you wanna do it, you're on." Atsumu says slowly as Osamu flinches in surprise, slightly loosening his grip until Atsumu suddenly jumps up and grabs his collar as well.

"When we're on our deathbeds..." Atsumu begins, sneering intensely at Osamu as he grits his teeth. "I'm gonna turn and look you right in yer face... and say I had the happier life!"

The two brothers glare at each other with pent up emotion before simultaneously letting go of each other's jackets as turning away, seething.

"Should I get Kita-san?" Suna asks.

"Nah, they're fine." Ginjima mutters as Y/N and Kagawa enter the gym, seeing the twins in their bad mood.

"...Well this isn't something I wanna deal with." Y/N deadpans as she starts walking backwards. "So I'm gonna pretend I didn't-"

"Not so fast." Kagawa deadpans as she grabs her sleeve, pointing at Atsumu who's stomping around, fuming as he finally has enough and storms out the gym, not acknowledging anyone as Coach Kurosu enters with Coach Oomi.

"Alright what didja do?" Coach Kuorus deadpans, looking at the crossly. "What's wrong with Atsumu?"

"Pfft- so many things-"

"What Suna's tryna say is, he and Osamu had a fight." Ginjima interrupts as they glance at him. "Uhh, Osamu kinda just said some stuff that set him off, but they'll be fine."

Coach Kurosu pauses for a moment as he sighs. "Is this about...?"

"Yeah." Osamu mutters as he nods, avoiding eye contact as Coach Kurosu sighs and pats his shoulder.

"It's alright, I understand." Coach Kurosu encourages as Osamu shrugs in feigned disinterest.

"Yeah, whatever. Let's get ready for practise." Osamu mutters as he walks away to start warming up, the rest of the team watching him worriedly as they glance at each other.

"Is he gonna be okay...?"

"He's gonna be fine." Y/N sighs tiredly as she glances at the door. "Atsumu though... is he really gonna skip practise like that? I never in a million years would've thought that Atsumu would even think about skipping practise."

"Yeah..." Coach Kuorus trails off. "...Can you go get him?"

"Me??" Y/N groans as everyone nods in agreement. "Why me??"

"You're like, the only person that Atsumu listens to sometimes other than Kita-san, who's not here obviously." Suna smiles as he starts pushing her out the door. "Anyway have fun bringing him back~"

Y/N sighs tiredly as Suna pushes her out the door and closes it, facepalming before glancing around. Time to find the drama queen.

Finding Atsumu isn't difficult, he has three designated sulking areas depending on the severity of his dejection. Y/N easily finds him in the most severe sulking area, glaring at the floor as he ignores her.

"Atsumu." Y/N starts, sitting down beside him as he turns his back to her. "Atsumu c'mon, you know you can't ignore me."

Atsumu grunts in response, still not turning to look at her as she sighs, also turning away from him as she leans back on his back, staring up at the sky as he stares down at the ground.

"You alright?" She asks quietly.

"...Why wouldn't I be?" He mutters as she sighs. "Doesn't bother me at all."

"Ya sure?" Y/N asks as Atsumu pauses for a moment.

"...No." He mumbles quietly. "Guess it does bother me just a bit..."

"Just a bit." Y/N repeats as he shifts slightly under her weight. "I know it's a surprise but, Osamu's really happy with his choice, y'know? And well, we can't really help it if our passion lies elsewhere..."

"...Yeah." Atsumu mutters as he sits up and leans back, forcing Y/N to bend down as she scowls.

"Oi, yer heavy."

"Well my back hurts because of you!"

"And now my back's breaking!" Y/N groans as she tries to push his back up, but she's no match for his strength as she elbows his side.

"Ack-! Rude!" Atsumu huffs as she rolls her eyes.

"You were tryna break my back."

"Yer just weak!"

"What didja say??"

"Never mind." Atsumu huffs as he stands up, dusting off his pants as Y/N stands up as well, falling into another silence as Y/N looks at him with concern.

"...Are'ya gonna be okay?" Y/N asks tentatively as Atsumu pauses for a bit, shrugging absentmindedly.

"I don't really have a choice, do I?" Atsumu mumbles as she grimaces slightly, patting his back in comfort. "I just..."

Atsumu sighs as he shakes his head.

"I just thought we'd keep doin' everything together... Guess I was stupid to think so."

Y/N feels her heart drop as she struggles to find the words to respond, not knowing what to say as Atsumu shrugs.

"...Let's get back to practise." Atsumu mutters quietly as he stuffs his hands in his pockets and starts heading back to the gym, Y/N following behind slightly as she watches him, wishing she had the right words to comfort him.

She just wants Atsumu to feel okay.

Practise is tense and awkward as the twins ignore each other's presence, not talking to each other as everyone glances at them worriedly. They're doing their best to pretend that nothing happened, doing their best to pretend that everything's normal.

But it's not normal for them to stop talking like this.

Because volleyball always brought them together.

Even in their biggest fights.

Volleyball always brought them together.

~  ~  ~  ~  ~

It is a surprise to discover that studying without Atsumu banging his head in the background is much easier for Y/N's concentration as she quietly does her homework while on call with Sakusa. Studying alone is distracting, studying with people is distracting, but she finds comfort in company, it's a bonus that they only have quiet discussions every now and then before falling into prolonged silence.

Her slightly productive homework session would have been much more effective if she wasn't rudely interrupted by the buzzing of her phone.

"Who is it?" Sakusa asks.

"Atsumu." Y/N deadpans as they both sigh.

"Are you going to pick up?"

"As if I have much of a choice." Y/N mutters as she answers her phone. "Hello?"

"N/N! I uhh... Are'ya free to talk at the moment? If ya wanna meet up and stuff..." Atsumu trails off as Y/N blinks in surprise.

"Like, right now?"

"Yeah, if yer free I guess..."

"I needa think of an alibi if I wanna leave my house y'know..." Y/N sighs. "When and where d'ya wanna meet up?"

"Oh, I'm actually already in front of yer house right now."

"You're in front of my house??"

"Sounds creepy." Sakusa mutters as she facepalms.

"Wait, is that Sakusa??" Atsumu asks, having heard his voice through the phone.

"Doesn't matter." Y/N deadpans as she sighs. "Argh... Atsumu, stay out of sight, I'll think of somethin' and go to ya, 'kay?"

"Fine fine, I'll be waitin'." Atsumu mutters as she hangs up, groaning as she holds her head in her hands, trying to think of possible excuses to leave her house that her parents will accept.

"Sorry Sakusa..." Y/N sighs tiredly. "I really needa go talk to Atsumu now..."

"It's fine, it sounds important." Sakusa says simply. "Are you going to be okay getting out of the house though? Your parents want you to quit so they're not going to like it if you say you're running volleyball errands."

"...I know." Y/N mutters dejectedly. "I've lost my greatest alibi."

"Do you think you can think of another way?"

"Well, I could jump out the window and hope they don't notice I'm gone."

"I wouldn't recommend that." Sakusa deadpans as she shrugs.

"Oh well, I'll just have to come up with something on the spot." Y/N sighs as he nods. "Anyways, I'll talk to ya later."

"Yeah, I hope it goes well."

"Same."

Finally making it out of her house alive, Y/N glances around quickly before spotting Atsumu's piss yellow hair and walking over to him. "You owe me big time."

"What? Why??" Atsumu groans as she rolls her eyes.

"Nearly got murdered on my way to get out of the house, but I'm here now so we won't talk about that." Y/N mutters as she and Atsumu start walking aimlessly. "Anyway, what didja wanna talk about?"

"Yeah, what did I wanna talk about." Atsumu repeats sarcastically as she elbows him. "Ack-! Oi! That hurt!"

"Your pain is not my problem." Y/N deadpans. "Now, what didja wanna talk about?"

"...As if you don't know." Atsumu mutters as he scowls at the floor. "...'Samu and I aren't really talking at all, even mum's worried and weirded out coz we don't even fight..."

"It's pretty awkward huh?"

"It's never awkward with 'Samu!" Atsumu insists, taking her by surprise as he suddenly stops walking and hesitates. "...At least, it was never awkward with 'Samu..."

'Wow, the news is hitting him pretty hard.' Y/N thinks to herself as she pats his back.

"...D'ya think he's joking? Like, maybe he's just pulling a prank on me like always! Y'know? I mean like... we're still gonna keep playin' together, right?" Atsumu asks as Y/N hesitates for a moment.

"...Atsumu. You already know he's not joking." Y/N mutters tentatively as Atsumu deflates.

"...Yeah I know." Atsumu mumbles as he suddenly turns around and starts walking again while Y/N speeds up a little to catch up.

"I... don't really think it's my place to say anything." Y/N begins after a while as he glances at her briefly. "But... Osamu's really happy with his decision, he really wants to do what he loves, and I know the two of us know what it's like to have somethin' yer really passionate about, y'know?"

Atsumu nods along to her words as his shoulders slump down. "...D'ya think he even likes volleyball?"

"Atsumu, we both know that Osamu loves volleyball." Y/N says sincerely as she moves ahead to face him. "He just found something he loves more."

The two of them stand in silence for a few moments as Atsumu slowly comes to terms with reality. He was so sure that he and Osamu would keep playing volleyball together, far beyond high school. He was so sure that they'd keep pushing each other, he was so sure that they would reach the world stage together.

But he was wrong.

Osamu had something else that he loved more, he and Atsumu were never destined to walk the same path. And even so...

"I'm happy for him." Atsumu murmurs quietly as Y/N blinks in surprise, not expecting that. "Of course I'm happy for him... I've always dragged him around everywhere and made him do a buncha stuff, I always dragged him along so we did everythin' together! And... he's got somethin' he wants to do and that's great! But... but..."

Y/N holds her breath as she watches him, Atsumu looks so sad in that moment as he stares blankly at the floor.

"...We've always done everything together... Even if there was no one else, I knew I'd have 'Samu, y'know? He was always with me..." Atsumu mutters quietly as Y/N feels her heart drop. "But now... he's leaving me and... and we're not gonna be doin' stuff together and... I'm gonna be alone and... He's gonna be alone and..."

Y/N pulls Atsumu into a hug as she holds onto him tightly, he instinctively returns the hug.

"I... I'm bein' overdramatic about this, aren't I? You guys always said I'm really dramatic..." Atsumu trails off shakily as Y/N shakes her head.

"You're not bein' overdramatic at all." She says slowly. "You and Osamu have always been together, so it's understandable..."

"I really did think we'd always do everything together." Atsumu mumbles. "And- and suddenly we're just gonna stop doin' everything together. I... don't know if I've ever done anything without 'Samu."

Atsumu sighs dejectedly, before shaking his head, letting go and slapping his face.

"I'm gonna win against him!" Atsumu declares as Y/N tilts her head in confusion.

"Win what?"

"I don't know... life?? I'm gonna be the bestest volleyball player ever! I'm gonna win everything and show him that I don't need him!" Atsumu declares loudly as Y/N winces, mentally apologising for the noise. "I'm gonna be so good he'll wish he was me!"

"Atsumu, I don't think anyone wishes-"

"And I'll say, see? Look what I did without ya! This is everythin' you missed out on!"

"Well technically you would have also missed out on Osamu's achievements-"

"Just hype me up will ya??" Atsumu groans as Y/N laughs. "Argh, I'm tryna turn this into a competition here! I'm gonna finally do things without 'Samu and walk down the volleyball path! And... and he's gonna walk down his own path, and we're gonna both be mega successful and amazin'!"

"Aww you included himmm~" Y/N smiles as he huffs and rolls his eyes.

"No one with my face is allowed to be a scrub! He's got no choice!"

"I reckon Osamu doesn't wanna think about the fact that you both have the same face." Y/N chuckles as Atsumu rolls his eyes.

"Whatever~" He chimes half heartedly before sighing slightly. "...Y'know, I guess I'm kinda scared."

'??? Atsumu's being honest with his feelings??' Y/N thinks to herself in shock

"We're the famous Miya Brothers that do everything together!" Atsumu declares before pausing slightly. "But I think it's time we became just Miya Atsumu, and Miya Osamu."

"Yeah... I think so too." Y/N smiles before karate chopping his back.

"Ack-!"

"Alright then, time to take you home so you can cry and hug yer brother as you spill out all yer feelings." Y/N smirks as she starts pushing him along.

"Ewwwww no!! And I'm the one that's s'posed to be taking you home! I can get to my house myself thanks!"

"Are'ya sayin' I can't get to my house myself?"

"No! It's just easier and safer." Atsumu groans as she chuckles.

"Fine fine, let's go."

"...And don't tell 'Samu anything about what I said!"

"You'll have to pay me to shut up."

"...How much?" 

~~~~~

Mmmm I love writing joyful chapters with no sadness whatsoever <3

Anyway! How we feeling about the chapter :D I have been eagerly waiting to write it and now I have OuO I cannot wait for the next chapter :)

Speaking of writing, I have officially posted a different fic! :D It's an Osamu x Reader oneshot called "Through the Night" which you can find on my profile. It's quite a bit different from this fic but I hope you like it if you decide to read it! :D

Anyway~ I also drew headshots of all the Inarizaki boys so you can see that here:

You can find the individual drawings on my Instagram and Twitter =w=

That being said~ Hope you liked the chapter! :D I have so many things packed into my schedule until the end of the year but I will still do my best to keep updating regularly =w= I have some stuff planned for the next chapter so stay tuned :)

Thanks for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

152K 4.6K 47
Suzume grew up playing volleyball with her brother. She was right-handed, but after being so inspired by her brother, she was determined to make her...
260K 7.5K 38
"I love you y/n;)" "Aw I love me too!<3" π™Žπ™π˜Όπ™π™π™Ž: completed IN WHICH, some of the members of the Inarizaki volleyball team fall for the pretty...
110K 3.6K 56
Kita Shinsuke is a captain of Inarizaki Highschool Volleyball Club. Meanwhile, Miya Ayumu is Miya twins; Atsumu and Osamuγ…‘ youngest sister. Ever sinc...
2.1K 75 19
Suna x fem reader. "Holy shit! You're a chick?" In which Y/n had recently won her battle with cancer, but it left her body unrecognizable. When the p...