Chapter 41: Captain

Spring Interhigh National Tournament
Day 2 – Second Round

"Inarizaki and the Miya twins, one of the teams favoured to win the entire tournament, eliminated in their first game!"

"This has got to be the biggest upset of the Spring High Tournament, on Day 2 nonetheless!"

The Inarizaki members pant heavily as they stare ahead, their exhaustion catching up to them as they vaguely see the Karasuno team celebrate.

Ojiro and Oomimi close their eyes as they slump down, trying to regulate their breathing as Akagi squats down tiredly.

Watching from the sidelines, Suna remains silent as he observes his seniors; the third years. He's acutely aware that with this loss, he'll never get to play a match with them ever again.

Ginjima lifts his head from the floor slightly as he grits his teeth, glancing up to see the ball that he failed to save. Panting heavily, Ginjima pinches his eyes shut as he clenches his fist, dropping his head back down to the floor.

If only he was fast enough. If only he was better. If only he was more reliable.

He always felt like he was never enough, and it seems like the universe agrees.

If only he was good enough... then maybe...

Maybe they'd all be smiling right now.

"C'mon Gin, we needa thank everyone." Atsumu says as he and Osamu help him up.

"Right..." He mutters in response as they all line up on the court, facing Karasuno's side as they bow.

"Thank you!"

Kita walks up to shake Sawamura's hand as they silently make eye contact, while Ojiro and Azumane quietly shake hands as well.

Walking up to the net, Atsumu boredly stares at Kageyama as he shakes his hand.

"See ya later then I guess, Tobio-kun."

"Ah, yeah." Kageyama responds as Atsumu turns to Hinata.

"Shouyou-kun."

"...Yes?" Hinata asks as he tiredly wobbles up to the net, glancing up to look at Atsumu. 'Which one is this again...?'

"I'm gonna set for ya, one of these days." Atsumu declares, pointing at Hinata as he and Kageyama look at him in confusion. Atsumu's gaze hardens as he turns away from them.

"But before that happens, I'm gonna destroy ya in next year's Interhigh, so you better brace yerself."

Osamu boredly watches Atsumu as he walks up to him, unimpressed with Atsumu's declaration as he glances at him.

"...Says the loser while backing away." He mutters.

The twins instantly start fighting and kicking each other as Y/N sighs and rolls her eyes, walking up to them and whacking the both of them on the back of the head. "Do you two ever stop fighting?"

"Only when 'Tsumu stops bein' dumb." Osamu says as Suna joins them.

"So that's a no."

"C'mon guys, we can talk about this another time." Ginjima interrupts tiredly as the turn to look at him, glancing at each other before nodding.

"Yeah."

"Gather up." Kita calls, waiting for his teammates to line up and thank their supporters.