Chapter 39: This is War

Spring Interhigh National Tournament
Day 2 – Second Round

Round 2: Inarizaki – Karasuno Match – First Set
Inarizaki [03 – 02] Karasuno

"What a giant waste...!!" Hinata dramatically sighs as he clenches his fists.

"He's being wayyy too dramatic about this." Atsumu and Tanaka say in unison before turning to each other. "Yeah, I know right?"

"Umm... seems like Hinata Shouyou has miscoordinated the timing for their Quick Attack. Karasuno still seems to be trying to catch their bearings on the start up... Perhaps that's what's going on here...?"

"...I'm not even on their team... but the second-hand embarrassment..." Y/N mumbles as she holds her head in her hands, causing Coach Kurosu to laugh.

"You say that like our team doesn't have our moments too."

"Please don't remind me."

"Nice serve!"

Suna boredly stares across the net as he receives the ball to serve, not caring about the Inarizaki band blasting music behind him.

'I couldn't care less whether the spectators are quiet or loud when I serve.' He internally deadpans as he instantly sends his serve over. Sawamura watches as the serve flies to the edge of the court, quickly shifting his body to the side.

'Damn that's a tough spot...!'

"That was a very risky serve he just pulled off there! That receive broke their formation, that last goes to Tanaka!"

"One touch!" Osamu and Oomimi call as they get a hand on the ball.

"...Got this." Suna calls, before glancing to the side and noticing Atsumu, moving out of his way as he watches Atsumu jump in front of him and set the ball.

Setting the ball, Atsumu takes Karasuno by surprise as Ojiro jumps up and spikes the ball down onto their court.

Inarizaki [04 – 02] Karasuno

"The first touch turns straight into a set! Miya Atsumu!!" The commentators cheer as the crowd goes wild. "The set up is turned into an intense score by Ojiro Aran! Karasuno High School is in stunned silence!"

"Nice kill!" Atsumu cheers as Ojiro turns around.

"That caught me by surprise! Oi!"

"Ehehe~" Atsumu laughs as Ojiro groans and moves back into position.

"As usual, Inarizaki doesn't restrict themselves to playing by the expected norms."

Moving to the back line for his second serve, Suna watches the referee closely for the signal.

FWEET!

Instantly sending his serve over, Suna serves on the whistle, catching Karasuno off guard as Sawamura stumbles to receive the ball.

"Kuh...!"

"This time he's aiming for the front! He's keeping Karasuno completely off balance!"

"Sorry! That's a bit long!" Sawamura calls as Kageyama jumps up and reaches for the ball, Oomimi and Osamu quickly following as they jump up to block him.

Spinning around, Kageyama hits the ball on Oomimi's outstretched hand as it rebounds back to Karasuno's side, taking Osamu by surprise.

'A spin around rebound! He's good!' Osamu thinks to himself as Nishinoya receives the ball.