Chapter 45: Solace

"It isn't today, but one day I'll play my last game... and you better believe I'm gonna finish that one with a smile!"

Sakusa trudges down the hallway alone, lost in thought as he thinks over Iizuna's words, thinking about his ideal last game. What would be his ideal ending?

Perhaps... going out with a smile, ending on a victory. Would either be necessary? Would having both be his ideal?

All good things come to an end. There are many things in your life that you can control, but there are equally as many things you can't control. As long as you do everything to the best of your abilities, then you'll be satisfied no matter what, you'll be able to live without regrets, right?

But Iizuna...

Iizuna did his best, he did everything he could. However, there was an accident, and everything came to an abrupt and unsatisfying end. Sometimes you're just... unlucky.

Luck is an interesting concept. You get far in life because you work hard, but also because you're lucky. There are people who are simply born lucky, and excel ahead of their peers. Sakusa subconsciously rubs his wrists as he thinks back to his last Interhigh.

"Wakatoshi-kun, how did you get so good?"

"...Because I got lucky."

Luck. Anyone could see it, and Sakusa knows it's true. Sakusa is one of the lucky ones. But surely, there will be a time when that luck runs out? Where his fate will boil down to preparation and circumstance?

What is the future that Sakusa is dreaming for?

"Hey."

Sakusa turns around at the sound of the voice, blinking in surprise as he straightens up and nods.

"Hey." He responds, turning around fully to face her as she approaches him.

Y/N fiddles with her fingers as she contemplates her words, glancing up at him as he watches her silently. After a moment, she sighs slightly as she smiles. "Your team played well."

Sakusa takes a few seconds to process her words as he nods again. "Of course."

Y/N shifts slightly as she tries to think about what to say next. What is there even to say in this situation? How did he do such a good job at making her feel better when she was in this situation?

"I'm not upset, if that's what you're concerned about." Sakusa says as she snaps out of her thoughts. "There's no reason for you to worry, I was just... unlucky this time."

"Yeah..." Y/N mutters. "Are'ya sure yer alright though...? You seemed deep in thought earlier."

"Ah, I was." Sakusa confirms as he frowns. "After the match, Iizuna-san said something and it got me thinking about my ideal last game... What would you consider to be ideal?"

"Me?" Y/N questions, tilting her head in surprise as Sakusa nods in confirmation. "Well... I was never really passionate or deeply invested in volleyball, so I can say for certain that I personally do not care much for victories or losses... I just think, as long as you do well and yer happy, then it's fine."

"Oh."

"Yeah, I know that for someone like Atsumu though, who lives and breathes volleyball, I'm sure that his ideal would be to end on an amazing win at the world stage or somethin'. I know he dreams about it now." Y/N smiles before faltering a little. '...I'm sure he dreams of a win, with Osamu by his side...'