||You're Mine|| {Scrutinized:...

By xx_WriterChick_xx

(Y/N) is a 24 year old girl who is currently on the run. After a tragic family accident, she moves to Virgini... More

A/N
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
BoNuS cHaPtEr
Chapter 8
Bonus Chapter
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Bonus: Alternative Scenes
Bonus : (Y/N)'s Backstory
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Bonus!
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Bonus! Alternative Scenes
UPDATE PLEASE READ!
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Epilogue
Bonus! (And Goodbye)

Chapter 39

2.3K 111 199
By xx_WriterChick_xx

A/N : Here ya go! Double upload! Enjoyyy

(Y/N)

I threw open the office door, the cold breeze hitting my flustered skin as my heart pounded with fear and anticipation.

Tanner joined me shortly after, his face bright with excitement. "Oh... this is finally happening!"

I went to turn on my flashlight, but was immediately stopped by Tanner's hand. I turned to catch his brown eyes, which looked black from the darkness consuming us.

"Don't risk it, (Y/N). Just follow me until we return back to Adam and Clint." He whispered, offering me his hand.

Without even having second thoughts, I took it, feeling the warmth of his skin as he tugged me along behind him, carefully crossing the old bridge and back to where Clint and Adam originally were.

But, the bench was empty. I bit my lip, darting my eyes around the dark playground, and that's when I spotted Clint peeking his head out behind the slides. "Guys, over here." He hissed.

Tanner clenched my hand tighter as he followed Clint's voice, leaving me confused. I could see where I was going now. Why was he still holding my hand?

As we approached Clint, I saw that Adam was ducked down next to him, frowning. They motioned for us to crouch with them, so Tanner let me go first, and then he followed.

"What's happening?" I asked, my tone sounding alarmed.

Adam opened his mouth to explain, but through the dim moonlight, I saw his dark eyes flicker downwards, and his voice came out in a teasing manner. "Uh... did something happen while you two were exploring?"

I followed his eyes along with Clint's and to my embarrassment, saw that I was still holding Tanner's hand.

I yanked my hand away, blushing, while Tanner just smiled cheerfully. "No, he was just helping..."

"Whatever!" Adam waved his hand with a scoff. "A black suburban pulled in at the end of the parking lot above us. I texted you guys as soon as we saw them."

Clint sighed, practically hugging his shotgun to his chest. His voice quivered. "I knew they would get here early... does the killer not trust me or what?"

I felt my heart sink as Clint trembled, fear evident in his eyes. Adam put a firm hand on his shoulder. "Calm down. You said the killer was already like this. Let's just go through with our plan."

Clint drew in a deep breath, and then nodded. "Okay. So the men are still in the car, but once they've gotten out, (Y/N) and I will go and act like we're minding our own business, and once we've put on a little play, Tanner can make his shot on the first guy."

From next to me, I felt Tanner shift position, and his eyes were hungry, hands twitching. "So... does that mean I can...?"

With a heavy sigh, Clint took the strap of his gun off his shoulders, and then reluctantly handed it to potentially the craziest man ever.

Tanner's crazed smile widened, as his fingers ran over the surface of the weapon. "Using guns usually aren't my style... but this is an exception."

I shuddered, the sudden urge to run away from him growing inside my chest. "Okay... so what if things go wrong?"

Adam shrugged. "Then we all come running."

The four of us exchanged nods, and then Clint stood to his feet, offering a hand. "Come on, we need to act like we've been exploring the place."

I took his hand, and as he was helping me up, I just realized something. "Wait, does anyone need a defense weapon just in case?"

Tanner grinned down at the shotgun, voice dripping with anticipation. "I've already got one!" He then proceeded to pull out his trusty syringe, shaking it above his head. "And obviously we need this as well."

Adam pulled out his own knife from the inside pocket of his suit. "I'm good, too."

I turned to Clint, and he shook his head, nodding to Tanner hugging the gun. "My defense weapon was that..."

I stuck my hand into my front coat pocket, pulling out Olivia's pepper spray, and then tossed it to him. "Just take this! I've got the taser."

We all fell silent, the air tense as voices floated from the parking lot above. I drew in a deep breath, my heart thudding. "Okay... let's do it."

As Clint and I walked out from behind the slides, he suggested we walk over to the swing sets at the edge of the woods, and I nodded, shivering as another breeze cut through me.

"Just so you know..." I whispered, turning to my friend with a sheepish smile. "I'm a shitty actor, so I'm quite sure they won't buy it for too long."

Clint shook his head, eyes gentle. "No worries, (Y/N). I promise, Adam and Tanner won't let anything happen to you."

I cocked my head at him, puzzled. With a nervous chuckle, he explained, "I'm... fairly weak. I can't fight, and I'm just a frail man by nature."

We stopped at the swings, and I tugged at my coat, feeling terrible for him. "Oh... but Clint, you're with us now. We won't let anything happen to you, either."

Clint gave me a warm smile, which I returned without hesitation. These people are quite different in terms of friends, but if they didn't mind having me around, then I was okay with it. I knew my morals, despite part of me going insane.

Clint casually stepped closer to the trees, leaving me to stand in front of a wooden swing, creaking as it swayed back and forth with the breeze.

He turned to look over my shoulder, and as I followed his eyes, I spotted Tanner and Adam peering out from behind the slides, nodding to us.

Clint stuck out a thumb, and I glanced nervously at the parking lot again, stomach filled with butterflies. The voices suddenly grew louder, as more than one car door slammed shut.

My blood ran cold as I heard menacing laughter. I exchanged another look with Clint. His expression matched mine ; scared and confused.

There were definitely more than just two pairs of voices.

Once a man's head came into view from the top of the hill, my instincts kicked in. I automatically turned to the wooden swing set, tracing my hand along the weak chains hanging down from the top. My heart was pounding, and out of the corner of my eye, I watched as Clint tensed up, hissing something from under his breath. "Fucking shit!"

The voices were now completely clear, ringing out through the park, and their approaching footsteps caused me to swallow. Why was Clint acting this way?

I was still pretending to check out the swing, until a man cleared his throat from next to me. I snapped my head up, eyes widening with fear.

That's when I felt my heart stop, now completely realizing why Clint looked so distraught.

Shit..

There weren't just two men like the killer promised. There were five. I forced myself to not look over my shoulder where Adam and Tanner were hiding.

The man standing in front of the four others flashed me a grin. "Ah! (Y/N) (L/N)! What a pleasure it is to finally meet you!"

I slowly turned my head to look at Clint, pressing my hand against the pocket holding my taser. Clint shot me a look of terror, before forcing a grin onto his face, turning to the man.

"Oh, you're earlier than expected." He said with a nervous chuckle.

The first man smirked, standing tall as he never took his eyes off me. I tried to look puzzled, rather than scared. "Well... boss's orders, Clint. What about you two? Both of you showed up quite early."

Clint blinked, expression remaining calm. "(Y/N) here, wanted to check this place out as soon as possible."

Clint shot me an uneasy look, but the way he spoke was on point. "Naive girl, isn't she?"

That was my cue to speak, to play along. "Clint? What's going on here?" I felt the waver in my tone, but I couldn't help it at this point. I was plagued with the idea that our plan wasn't going to work with five people.

A second man let out a wheeze. "Well... let's just say you're not going to be exploring this park this fine morning." He took a threatening step towards me. "The boss wants you gone."

I ground my teeth together, the urge to turn back to Adam and Tanner strong. I just had to get one man in position so Tanner could make his shot. We can definitely scare four other people, right?

I spoke again, voice raspy as Clint walked behind the group of men, joining the spot next to me. "Boss? Who exactly is that?"

The three other men were now laughing, muttering to one another, as the first and second man smiled darkly. One of them spoke up, voice harsh. "Doesn't matter. You'll be tossed in a ditch before having to find out."

I gulped, now breaking out of my fear as the first man marched toward me, smile firm and fists clenched. Now I just needed to put him in Tanner's view.

As he approached me, his taller frame looming over mine, I stumbled as I took a few steps, circling around him so that he was now in front of me.

The man raised an eyebrow and snorted. "Sorry. You're not getting away this time." He growled.

Then, in one swift motion, the man dashed forward and grabbed both of my arms. I cried out as his fingers dug into my skin, tears blurring my vision.

I could hear the four other men laughing as I wriggled and fought against the man's hold. Clint kept his composure, feet firmly planted in the grass below him, but as I glanced at his expression, I could tell he was getting ready to break.

Come on, Tanner...

"Fuck you!" I yelled, now thrashing against him. "Let go of me, now!"

The man laughed, baring his yellow teeth. I felt an intense pain surge through my arms as he picked my up, my feet just dangling above the ground. "Oh? Then what are you going to do if I don't?"

Then, he laughed, along with the other men from behind me. I felt my vision distort, as my mind started spinning, the laughter growing louder and more taunting. I shook my head, letting out a whimper, as the man's face was replaced with my brother's.

My heart skipped a beat, tears flooding down my face. No, not now!

"You're pathetic, (Y/N)!" My brother spat. "You still haven't saved me. You're going against the rules, and now you're gonna die. Pathetic!"

I turned my head to look at the men behind me, heart pounding. They were all now replaced with my friends, and I grimaced as they chanted alongside my brother.

"Pathetic."

"Pathetic."

"Pathetic."

I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to burn the false images I was seeing. "Stop it! Please..."

Then, the man who was holding me, let go, as his head exploded, gore spilling all over my face.

I hit the grass with a thud, and as my mind processed what just happened, my mouth dropped open, body trembling with horror and disgust, as the man's headless body fell in front of me, blood seeping through the green grass.

The man's blood on my own face was warm and sticky, a drop falling into my eye. The metallic smell burned my nose and lungs, and that was when I turned to the place behind the man, eyes wide as my breath stuttered.

Tanner stood very close by, stumbled back from the recoil of the shotgun, eyes hungry, and smile wide as the four remaining men cried out in surprise.

"Hello, gentlemen!" He greeted cheerfully as Adam joined him, looking at me with worry. "I apologize for killing your friend, but it appears that he had intentions to hurt (Y/N)..."

Then, his smile turned into a malicious scowl, reloading the shotgun and aiming it at the second man, brown eyes darkening. "And I think that is a very bad mistake on your part..."

My stomach lurched from Tanner's malice, and from the texture of the blood and skin running down my face, seeping through my shirt from underneath my jacket. The four men retreated, letting me know that they didn't come prepared.

Tanner fired another shot, hitting the second man right in the stomach. He fell to the ground with a groan as the three remaining men scattered out across the playground.

Tanner reloaded, but as he went to press the trigger again, I could hear an empty click. He looked at Clint with a frown. "What the hell is wrong with this thing?"

Clint, who was frozen in his spot, shivering violently, said, "I only loaded it with two shots. I thought there were going to be two..."

Adam yanked the shotgun out of Tanner's hand and threw it to the ground. "Fuck it! Just kill the others and take the injured one!"

I watched as Adam dashed across the playground, targeting one of the men as they attempted to climb up the hill. "Get your ass back down here!"

The man was rather large, so I gasped as he swung a fist at Adam, and to my shock, he dodged it with ease, jumping back up and throwing him back down the hill.

Tanner jogged over to me, reaching his hand out. I took it, and after I was on my feet, I felt my knees buckle as I retched, very aware of the blood covering me.

I turned to thank Tanner, but he was already pursuing the man waving a knife around as he about escaped through the trees.

"You son of a bitch!"

My attention snapped back to Adam, and I saw they were standing away from each other, ready to pounce. Then, I noticed the man had Adam's knife clenched in his hand, and I attempted to step towards them, but instead wobbled, Clint rushing forward to catch me.

As Clint helped me stand straight, I looked around the park, panic setting in. "Where... where's the third guy?"

I felt my breath grow heavy, and that's when Clint gently grabbed my shoulders, voice calming. "It's okay, (Y/N). You stay here, and I'll find him."

It was at that moment, I felt completely useless. These men were doing everything to protect me, so now it was my turn to help.

Turning to Adam, I felt my heart stop as he was way far ahead of what I was expecting. There was already a deep cut above his eyebrow, presumably from the knife, but his face remained calm, posture ready to fight.

The man brought the knife forward, and Adam swiftly caught his hand, twisting it around, causing the man to wince, and then he hit a hard blow to his stomach.

I blinked, feeling amazed at how well he could fight. A killer who knows hand to hand combat is inescapable.

Once the man was on the ground, coughing, Adam took the knife from his limp hand, and then stabbed him in the back of the head.

I immediately turned my head away, the awareness of the blood on my face present again, and my eyes caught Tanner, who was taking hits from the other man he caught.

Adam joined me, grabbing my chin to turn my head to meet his eyes. "(Y/N), are you alright?"

With a shaky sigh, I nodded. "It doesn't matter right now, we need to help Tanner and Clint."

Adam's eyes widened once he saw Tanner across the playground, dodging hits from the other man.

The both of us ran forward, and I made sure not to trip over the second man, who was still groaning in pain from the gunshot.

Adam made it to Tanner first, his longer legs carrying him to his friend faster than I ever could. By the time I reached them, I was panting, and Adam had pulled the man away from Tanner.

Adam threw strong punches to the man's face, and then quickly ducked away as he tried to hit him back.

"Adam! Watch out!" Tanner threw his arm out in front of me as I tried to approach them, and he gave me a warning glare.

"He can take care of himself."

Tanner was right in the end. As the man tried to run forward, his knife thrown to the ground, Adam brought his leg up higher than I would have imagined, and kicked the man in the face.

He fell to the ground with a grunt, and before he could beg for mercy, Tanner bent down and snapped his neck, unable to suppress his laughter.

"Bye bye!" He said in between giggles.

I felt sick from his amusement, and wiped away another drop of blood that fell into my eye. I looked around, heart racing. "Where the fuck did Clint go?"

Adam looked around the park with worried eyes. "There was a fifth man, correct?"

That's when my heart stopped, and my eyes widened. "Shit! He went to look for him!"

Tanner finally stood from his feet, regaining composure, but he looked as if he were in a daze. "So, are we looking for Clint now?"

Adam sighed, making a run towards the trail leading into the woods. "Yes, come on, they have to be in here."

I swallowed back the bile in my throat, and followed behind, Tanner not too far away from me. I've been exposed to the cold air for so long, that my skin felt numb. The only thing I could feel was the blood on my face and neck, now cracking as it dried, red flakes falling every so often.

Once the three of us entered the trail, we were silent, listening for sound. We all perked up as the sounds of panicked yelps echoed from everywhere around us.

"Guys! Help!"

My stomach lurched, instincts kicking into overdrive as my head turned in a random direction, and took off running.

"(Y/N)! Wait!" I heard Tanner call out to me, but I didn't care. The adrenaline was pumping through my veins, pushing through leaves, brush, and sticks.

I grunted in pain as a stray branch scraped against my cheek, but even as fresh blood trickled down through the dried blood smothering my face, I didn't stop.

Clint was risking his life to help me, and now it was my turn to do something, instead of just standing around, waiting to be captured.

I brought the taser out of my pocket, and then burst through a few thin branches, leaves falling from my impact. I was in a clearing, and in front of me, was Clint and the final man, who had my friend pressed against a tree trunk, hands squeezing his throat.

Clint was trying to gasp for breath, clinging to every little ounce of life he had left, as his eyes rolled up.

In one swift motion, I marched up to the man's back, breath heavy, face scowling, and I pressed the taser up against his neck. Then I pressed down on the trigger.

The man jerked, dropping Clint to the ground as his whole body went into a spasm. "What the hell?"

Clint's hands rubbed his throat, going into a coughing fit as he choked for air.

Once I made sure he was alright, I grabbed the man's shirt collar while he was still stunned, and smashed my head against his face, causing him to cry and and fall to the ground completely.

I stepped over his body and knelt down, using both of my fists to throw two punches to his head.

All the while, I was surging with fear, anger, and determination, adrenaline still kicking as I panted, not even shocked that he was knocked out.

My knuckles throbbed along with my head, but all I cared about was that my friends were okay.

My friends.

I stood up, just in time for Tanner and Adam to finally catch up, their faces panicked and confused.

Tanner and Adam glanced down at the unconscious man, and then back up to me. I was still tense, fight or flight mode still coursing through me, as I glowered down at the ground, breathing heavily.

"(Y/N), you okay?" Adam stepped forward, Tanner still looking dazed from behind him.

I swallowed, unable to speak with my dry throat, so I nodded weakly, lip quivering.

Then, Adam double checked to see if I was okay, and he quickly went over to Clint, who now just caught his breath, head lying back against the tree.

I watched them from over my shoulder, Tanner approaching me gingerly.

"You okay, bud?" Adam offered Clint his hand, and he took it.

"Yeah... I think so..."

Then, everyone turned to me, and the intensity of my emotions faded a little, and that's when I felt a rush of pride and relief wash through me.

We did it. Everything went right. Just another step closer...

The thought caused my knees to wobble, and Tanner was quick to steady me. "(Y/N)... it's okay. We can go home now."

Clint and Adam joined us, and we all just stood there in complete silence. It was like we were celebrating, the fact we managed to follow through with the plan, despite there being more people than what was expected.

I turned my gaze up to Tanner, and in his eyes, I could see the anticipation and excitement glinting, but he held back a smile.

Probably for my sake.

With a final sigh, I turned away from him, and looked back down at the man. "So, are we taking him? Or the injured one?"

Tanner spoke, a strain in his voice. "I would like to take the uninjured one..." A glint of hunger passed through his expression, and once again, it made me feel sick. "I want to start from scratch once we get back."

The four of us walked back out of the woods, Adam carrying the unconscious man over his shoulder. Clint had glanced up to the cut above his eyebrow, voice concerned.

"Um... Adam, are you alright? You're cut."

Adam chuckled, shaking his head. "No, I'm alright. What about you? Those bruises on your neck are much more concerning."

Clint shrugged, turning his gaze to the ground. "We'll worry about that once we've returned to the house."

I had asked them not to ask about me, because my mind was still trying to fully process everything. From when I got covered in someone else's blood, to when I managed to knock that man down, due to my own adrenaline.

And I didn't want any of them to see that another part of my sanity has been ripped away from me.

I especially didn't want Tanner to see that. I know he likes the sane part of me. But, even as I am desperately clinging on to my own sanity, I can't help but wonder, if I will ever be able to go back to the way I was once we've caught the killer.

What if my brother wakes up? What would he think of me, if he saw I became friends with two killers, and one semi crazy person?

My swirling thoughts came to a halt as we all looked down at the man Tanner shot earlier.

"Hm... I guess we won't have to worry about taking him anyway." Tanner murmured passively, a smile spreading across his face.

The man must have bled out, arms and legs sprawled across the grass, eyes glassy and lifeless, staring up at the dark sky.

Seeing him so still, and all of that blood caused me to look away, blinking rapidly.

"Adam, we should clean up the evidence." I muttered, ignoring the throbbing in my head. "We can't risk getting tracked."

From the cold wind numbing my skin, and the blood of another person covering my face, plus everything else I had went through... made my body feel so alien to me. I felt sick, and dizzy.

For a split second, I reconsidered everything, the urge to run home and lock myself away forever. But, in the end, I was expecting this. I knew working with criminals would change me, and I knew searching for a well hidden serial killer would be exhausting, but in the end, I was doing it for the people I loved and cared for.

So, I pushed the feeling of doubt away, and moved on, ready to interrogate the man we've captured.

Adam finally nodded in agreement. "Okay... come on guys, let's get rid of the bodies, and then we'll have our talk with him."

Tanner practically bounced with excitement. "You don't have to tell me twice!"

A/N : Next chapter's the interrogation. Tanner's crazy side returns! And maybe even a glimpse at violent Adam?? 👀

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

296K 14.1K 52
#1 Mature #1 Suspense #3 LoveStory #3 Conspiracy #3 Murdermystery #1 Romancereads2020 #1 Bestseller #6 Undiscoveredgems #7 Conspiracy #1 Adultromance...
14.8K 520 21
22 year old Y/N is a kind, charismatic, and caring young college student. She's an artist with a kind heart and an old soul, though she can be snappy...
217 34 23
***THIS STORY IS INTENDED FOR MATURE READERS ONLY*** There are the following triggering themes included in this story: violence and abuse; mentions...
1.7K 38 11
(Y/N) (L/N) is your average socially awkward girl living in a world alongside superhuman Countryhumans. She expected to graduate from High School, fi...