Saving Melanie Deen

By ali_cher

"That's the funny thing, though. Loving me is a death sentence, isn't it?" *** Melanie Deen's world consisted... More

CHARACTERS
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56

Chapter 49

174 6 0
By ali_cher

Melanie's POV

I counted the money in my hands as I walked back to the motel. I took my mother's shift at the club, despite really not wanting to. I needed to pay for my room at the motel and I desperately needed a drink.

The boss was a complete asshole, telling me he'll beat the shit out of my mom if she doesn't come to work again. Jokes on him. She's never coming to work again. But he didn't need to know that. All I needed was cash and I got it. The tips were amazing.

As I walked, I noticed a liquor store across the street. It practically called my name, so I crossed the street and headed inside.

I picked out three bottles of whiskey and quickly paid for them. The nagging fear of meeting someone I knew, wouldn't leave me alone. So I hurried outside of the shop and took the shorter route to the motel.

''Here'' I dropped the right amount of cash onto the reception desk as soon as I walked in.

''Thank you'' The girl sniffled quietly.

This made me snap my head up at her. I immediately noticed the huge bruise forming on her cheekbone and the zipper from her skirt was ripped off.''What happened?'' I asked, suddenly feeling on edge.

''Oh, it's nothing'' She waved me off, pulling herself together. I furrowed my eyebrows, anger rising in the pit of my empty stomach.

''Who did it?'' I interrogated.

Her eyes widened, suddenly speechless. I wasn't sure what caused this reaction until I felt a big hand connect with my ass. This fucking asshole. ''Him?'' I asked her before turning to face the dipshit who dared to lay a finger on this innocent girl.

''Yes!'' She squeaked with fear.

I let my emotionless eyes bore into the vile man's bloodshot ones. He felt like a king. I could see it in his gaze. But hitting and sexually harassing young girls never made anyone a king. At least not in my world. I was about to wipe that smirk right off his face.

''You staying here, sugar?'' He slurred, placing a sloppy hand on my waist. I looked down at his hand, trying to suppress my disgust.

With one swift motion, I grabbed his hand with both of mine and twisted it behind his back, making him cry out in agonizing pain. I took that as my chance to lift my leg up and kick his spine. He collapsed to the ground with my determined frame right on his back. I pushed his hand further, causing an even louder cry to escape his drunken mouth. I grabbed a fistful of his hair and slammed his head against the ground multiple times, with all the strength I could muster. His face was immediately splattered with his own blood, probably from his broken nose and slit eyebrow.

It felt amazing.

It finally felt like I was winning. Like I beat all my abusers.

I felt euphoric.

''Watch out!'' The girl screamed, pulling me out of my ecstatic state of mind. But it was too late. Far too late. He was already on top of me, his hand had already curled into a fist and it flying towards my jaw.

I closed my eyes, accepting my faith. At least I stood up for her like I always wished someone would stand up for me. Like I always wished my mother would stand up for me.

At least I did something.

I felt good about myself.

***

''No, Officer, she did nothing wrong. She was defending me! And suddenly, he attacked her. It all happened so fast! As soon as he saw me calling the cops, he ran out''

I opened my eyes to the sound of the girl's voice. I groaned, turning over onto my side. My entire body ached as I moved, making me wince. Did he really beat me up that bad or was it the alcohol taking a toll on my body?  One of the whiskey bottles that I bought was shattered on the ground next to me, the brown liquid was mixed with bright red blood. Did this girl smash a whiskey bottle against his head?

Wow. I'm a bad influence.

''Melanie'' Tyler raced towards me, shocking me completely.''Are you okay? Should we call an ambulance?'' His eyes raced over me with worry as he spoke. I stared at him as if he was a fragment of my imagination. How the hell did he find me here?

''No,'' I shook my head, sitting up.''I'm fine. How did you...how the hell did you find me here?'' I asked with confusion.

He stroked my cheek with his cold hand, still examining me as if I were a fragile porcelain doll. As soon as he realized what he was doing, he dropped his hand and cleared his throat.''It doesn't matter. What matters is that you're okay. You're okay, right?'' He stared into my eyes intently.

I nodded, feeling speechless all of a sudden.

''Mel! Thank God you're okay!'' Meg rushed in through the door, followed by Julia and Dylan. I stared at them, not believing my eyes. How the hell did they all find me here?

''What are you...what are you guys all doing here?'' I raised an eyebrow.''Julia? You-''

''It's okay, Melanie'' Julia kneeled down to me, wrapping her slender arms around me. She pulled me into a heartwarming embrace and I lost the ability to think straight. For the first time in my life, I felt like a child. A child who was loved. ''Everything will be okay, you hear me? You'll be okay. I'll do everything I can to make it be okay, I promise'' She whispered into my hair, petting my head in the most comforting way.

At that moment, I broke down. I wasn't sure what made me break down. I just let it all go. I let all my emotions go as I shook with every sob. Julia held me tightly, whispering sweet nothings into my ear to make me feel better. And I loved the feeling of being held like a child, even if I was technically an adult. It still felt nice.

***

''So let me get this straight,'' I strolled behind Julia and Tyler on our way to Tyler's cop car.''You're my legal guardian now?'' I asked Julia.

She glanced over her shoulder as we walked, giving me a reassuring smile.''Yes, if you're okay with that'' She nodded.

''Yeah... I think...'' I scratched the back of my head, feeling slightly uncomfortable.''I think I'm okay with that'' I let out a deep breath, coming to terms with the news. Maybe this is for the better...

Tyler gave us both a once-over before opening the car door for me.''How are you feeling?'' He asked me once Julia was already in the car.

''I guess I'm alright'' I shrugged, flashing him a smile.

''That's good to hear'' He nodded with a hopeful stare. I could tell he was hiding something from me but I didn't feel like nagging him about it.

Soon, the three of us were on our way to my house. A place I never thought I'd go back to. But nothing happens the way we want it to, huh?

When we walked into the house, I couldn't help but feel overwhelmed.''So,'' I cleared my throat, walking cautiously by Tyler's side. The entire floor was covered by various types of drugs and empty bottles of alcohol.''How did it happen?'' I asked him, finally.

''Overdose'' He sighed, kicking through the trash as we walked. He was tense. Very tense. The idea of asking him what the matter was, kept creeping up into my mind. But every time it did, I just shook it off.

''Not surprised,'' I also sighed, making Julia give me a sad frown.''It was bound to happen sooner or later'' I shrugged, making sure she understood that I didn't care anymore.

''Hey,'' Julia placed her hand on my shoulder, earning a look of surprise from me.''If you ever feel a certain way, don't keep it a secret from the world. Let someone in. Trust me, it'll feel much better than suffering on your own'' She gave me a warm smile and I could tell she was trying really hard to be supportive. She looked worn out but determined. I never felt this from an adult before. I never felt like my mom tried for me. It was always me trying for her.

''Okay,'' I said, keeping my eyes on hers. I felt small.

With the corner of my eye, I could see Tyler smiling at us. If I was completely honest, I'd say it was the most adorable thing I've ever seen. ''What are you smiling about?'' I smirked at him.

''I...I uh-'' He froze like a deer in front of headlights. Gotcha!

''He's happy for you'' Julia pursed her lips, obviously hiding something from me.''Just like everyone else is'' She added casually.

I raised an eyebrow at that but shrugged it off, heading upstairs to my former bedroom. It was completely untouched since I was there last. Realizing this, made my head spin a little.''Let's get your stuff'' Julia sighed, visibly concerned by the room I used to call my bedroom. I could definitely see why. It was grey and gloomy, with barely anything but a bed and a closet.

''Yeah, sure'' I let out a breath as I took the suitcase Tyler brought in. It was far too big for the amount of clothes that I had, but I wasn't going to say anything. I quietly brought my little bunch of wrinkled clothes out of the closet, ignoring their stares.

''Melanie,'' Julia began as she helped me fold the clothes.''Are you sure this is everything?''

I nodded, placing the last t-shirt into the suitcase. Including the clothes I had on, there was a grand total of three plain t-shirts, two pairs of jeans, one pair of leggings, a leather jacket, a skimpy skirt I wore to the bar, a skimpy top I wore to the bar, combat boots, and old beat-up trainers.

''Well, I guess it just means that we'll have to go shopping!'' She quickly masked her shock with excitement. I gave her a look. Shopping? Oh dear God...

''It's alright, I have enough clothes'' I waved her off and started placing my three books into the suitcase. She watched me carefully as if I was going to break at any given moment.

''There's something I need to tell you'' She blurted out, making me look up at her. Tyler took this as his queue to leave the room as if he knew what was to come.''After you graduate, we'll have to move back to my home. I'm going to stay here with you while you finish school, but I can't stay here longer. I have a business back home that needs me, my husband needs me...''

I opened my mouth to speak but I suddenly felt at a loss for words.

''I was thinking,'' She continued, taking my hand in hers.''You could find a college...and we could pay for it. Have you been looking into any colleges?'' She asked.

I gaped at her. College? I have never in my life even considered going to college, simply because I couldn't even imagine to afford it.

''I know this is overwhelming, Melanie. But I think you need a fresh start, don't you?'' She smiled, squeezing my hand in the most comforting way.

''I don't...I don't know what to say'' I shook my head, thinking I was in a dream or something. Her eager stare brought me back to reality.''I don't want to be a burden. Making you pay for college would be...too much.I'm already wasting your time, keeping you here with me. I don't want to cause any problems....'' I hurried out nervously.

''Don't be ridiculous!'' She scoffed in a nice way.''Vincent and I will be thrilled to give you the future you deserve. Trust me, there won't be any issues. Money isn't a problem in our house. Besides, since we don't have any children of our own...you're our only little rascal to spoil'' She winked, nudging me with her elbow. It was the first time I had seen her this playful.

I gaped at her.

''Melanie, I know this is strange for you. But we love you, even Vincent does. And he hasn't even met you yet!'' She chuckled, reassuring me.

''You said...you said you don't have kids of your own?'' I tried to change the subject, suddenly feeling like I didn't deserve their love. I wouldn't fit into their perfect picture.

''Ah, yes'' She frowned, looking down at our hands.''We tried but...God had other plans for us, as you can see'' She gave me yet another warming smile. Woman, where have you been all my life?

''I'm sorry'' I spoke sadly.

''Don't be!'' She shook her head and got up off the bed, straightening her pencil skirt.''Now we have you and we couldn't be more delighted'' She admitted truthfully.

I gulped, feeling a big load on my shoulders. I felt like I had all these expectations to meet...and it felt impossible. Me? In the role of a rich couple's daughter? Yeah, right! ''I don't want to disappoint you, Julia'' I confessed.

She stopped packing all my little miscellaneous items and gave me a look of confusion.''Why would you ever think you'd disappoint me?'' She asked, generally confused by my words.

As cheesy as it sounds, I was constantly disappointing everyone. I couldn't help it. That's the way I am. ''I just...I do it all the time. I disappoint'' I looked away, gazing at the wall in front of me. I had stains on it, reminding me of the beatings.

She caught my gaze, sighing heavily. Slowly, with caution, she sat back down beside me. She pulled me into her side, waiting for a comfortable silence to pass before speaking.''Melanie, you definitely won't disappoint me. If anything, I'm afraid of disappointing you!''

With that, I let a single tear escape my eyes. And no, I wasn't sad at all.

I was happy.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.8K 1K 30
In which the victim, becomes the accused. *** Naomi Ryan thought she was in love. T...
862K 24.4K 30
"They always say that a bad boy is like a fire and he needs snow to tame him and calm him down. Some may call me the snow to his fire. But that's not...
112K 3.2K 48
Everlee Bridge, a scared, lonely, heartbroken girl, is in a mess she never asked for. Seven years in a place she never wanted to be in broke her into...
4.7K 320 59
Omg I'm going to die! "I can't! Jesus! I'm not going down there" "Oh come on Rue, it's not even that way down". I turned to look at those hazel eyes...