Saving Melanie Deen

By ali_cher

"That's the funny thing, though. Loving me is a death sentence, isn't it?" *** Melanie Deen's world consisted... More

CHARACTERS
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56

Chapter 48

165 7 0
By ali_cher

It had been a few days since Meg told me to leave.

Yeah, I took it literally.

I stopped going to school and I hadn't been to the bar since then either. Why? You might ask. I figured everyone's life would be better without me. I was a burden and it was obvious. I ruined everyone's life with all my constant problems. I was the forever damsel in distress and I was so fucking tired of it. I just had to leave them all alone. It was for the better.

Why haven't I been going to school?

Well, what's the point? I mean, who was I trying to fool? I wouldn't graduate like I wanted to. I would never get anywhere in life even if I did because it's in my genes. It's in my genes to fuck up all the fucking time.

With that, I walked out of my motel room with a half-empty whiskey bottle in my left hand. I had officially lost count of how many of those I drank. Money was running low but I couldn't stop. I had to keep drinking. I felt as if I were drowning, and to keep my head up above the water...I had to drink. Only time would decide when I would finally allow myself to disappear under the water forever. And I couldn't wait much longer.

I also didn't have all my clothes, so I was stuck wearing the same outfit over and over again. Washing it when needed, of course. Today, I decided to ditch my usual leather jacket because it was rather warm outside. Comforting sun rays crept in through the windows as I walked down the narrow hallway, sipping every so often on my whiskey.

''Ms.Deen, I'd like to remind you about the payment for your room'' The young girl at the reception desk spoke to me in a mannerly way. I was taken by surprise. This motel was one of the trashiest and cheapest in our town. She was clearly new to this. No one would talk this way here. People who worked here hated their lives with passion. They certainly weren't going to sit at that reception desk all smiles.

''I'll pay when I come back'' I finally replied, still startled by her politeness. Her face fell a little at this, losing her polite smile.''I promise, I will'' I chuckled and headed out the door. I knew how bad some of the people, who stayed at motels like these, were. I wasn't planning on making this poor girl's life any worse than it already was. I just needed to get the money first.

And my mother taught me exactly how to do that when you had no other choice.

***

Tyler's POV

I swiftly parked my cop car outside the department and jumped out, finishing a quick call I had to make.

''Ah, Julia Burn'' I greeted the woman who was patiently waiting for me outside the department.

My shift just ended and I was honestly dying to go home and sleep. However, seeing Melanie's aunt waiting for me outside wasn't a good sign. I was in for some overtime and as always, I didn't even mind it. After all, this could be something to do with Melanie. And for Melanie, I would do anything.

''Nice to meet you, Officer Hunt'' She gave me a small smile and extended her hand. I shook it gently, watching her every move.''I'm here to speak to you about Victoria Deen's passing. I was told that you were involved in the Deen family matters'' She well-spoken and mannerly.

''I'm sorry but without the presence of Victoria's only living blood-relative, Melanie Deen, I cannot disclose any information'' I apologized, ready to get on my way. She frowned, stopping me in my tracks. Something was wrong. ''Is something wrong with Melanie Deen?'' I decided to address the issue straight away, no beating around the bush.

''Actually,'' She began, clearing her throat nervously. It was obvious, she was worried out of her mind.''She's been missing for a few days, according to her friends'' She let out a heavy sigh. I knew she wasn't okay...

We then discussed everything that happened between her and Melanie. She recently visited the bar again and the owner, Meg, told her all about the drama that happened between Melanie and her friends. She mentioned a drinking problem.

From what Julia told me, I could make a few precise assumptions.

The first being Melanie's unstable mental health taking a toll on her wellbeing.

The second being Ethan. He always managed to make matters worse, no matter how hard he tried to make it all better. They were similar in that way, as much as I hated to admit it. If I were him and if Melanie loved me as much as she loves him- nevermind, that's beside the point.

The third reason for her disappearance was obviously her mother's death. It was clear as day. She didn't tell anyone about her mother dying. She decided to go through the many stages of grief all by herself. Which definitely wasn't a good idea in her situation. She needed someone to help her through this. She needed me. I was sure of it.

I drove to Meg's bar in complete silence, with Julia sitting in the passenger seat. It was always the Deens sitting in the passenger seat, huh? 

''Are you and Melanie close?'' Julia spoke up, testing the waters.

I smiled to myself.

''Just doing my job, ma'am'' I replied casually. I could feel her watching me. She had a very stern yet wise gaze. It made me picture Melanie's life if Julia had taken her away when she had the chance. She would've had a decent childhood, with the possibility of a bright future. Instead, she was all alone. She never learned what love was and it made me feel sick. I wanted her to feel loved. If only she gave me a chance...

''You're a good liar, Officer'' She noted, pursing her lips into a thin line. I could see Dominic Deen in every expression she made. It was fascinating. Despite the crimes he committed, he was a good guy. I was never the type of cop who judged criminals. I always tried to see the human behind the crime. Everyone has their reasons.

''I don't quite understand what you mean, ma'am'' I responded, keeping straight face.

''You love her'' She stared at my side profile boldly. My jaw clenched at this, desperately trying to suppress the emotions swirling in my mind. It was true, and I knew it.

''Ma'am, that is impossible. I am only just a police officer, an acquaintance at most'' I explained, keeping up the act. Working as a cop really teaches you a lot. Lying was one of those things. Sometimes you had to lie for the better of everyone. I didn't want Melanie to feel obliged to pay attention to me only because I had feelings for her. I knew they weren't mutual and I knew her heart was taken. I didn't want to force her into anything. Besides, we have a good friendship. It should stay that way.

''Liar'' She insisted, her tone calm and collected.''I can tell by the look in your eyes when we are talking about her. You look like a man who loves a woman with all his heart. With his pure heart, I must add. I can see right through you, Officer''

I was baffled.

''Mrs.Deen-''

''Burn'' She corrected me with slight annoyance.''Mrs.Burn''

''I beg your pardon, Mrs.Burn'' I apologized.''Melanie loves someone else. So, even if I did...love her, nothing would be possible''

Julia was taken aback by this.''Loves? Who is this boy that she loves? Why isn't he with her at a time like this? That is not what love is-''

''This may sound rude, and I am sorry if it will, but you know nothing about Melanie. She likes to suffer alone because she's used to it being that way. She hardly ever lets anyone in and when she does, it is really hard for her to recover. This boy, Ethan, he loves her just as much as she loves him. But as we all know, nothing in life is as easy as it seems'' I interrupted her, refusing to listen to all the assumptions she had about Ethan. As much as I wanted Melanie all to myself, I knew that Ethan was a good guy. I knew that he loved her. If I swallowed my pride and drowned my feelings for her, I'd even call them soulmates.''He is also just as broken as she is'' I added.

''I must say, you are a very goodman'' She complimented me with a tinge of surprise in blue eyes. They were very similar to Melanie's and for a moment, I felt lost in them.''Not all men can love a woman like you love my Melanie. I respect that, Officer'' She gave me a tight smile before averting her gaze to the window next to her. My Melanie. She thought of her as hers. It warmed my heart. Maybe Melanie had a bright future ahead of her after all.

''Thank you, Mrs.Burn'' I sighed, staring at the road ahead of us.''Call me Tyler, by the way''

''In that case, call me Julia'' She chuckled at our formality. I could tell she would give Melanie a good chance at a new life. And it made me undeniably happy.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

177 8 8
Melanie is a shy girl with a very kind yet soft heart. She just started her first job at a Café and is really excited about how she will start her fi...
649K 21.7K 53
"Do they not say that a good friendship builds on a ground of lies?" I joke, lightening the mood immediately as his green eyes glint in humor and a s...
5.2K 181 66
Seventeen-year-old Rylee Evans just moved back to her hometown of Charlottesville, VA, with her dad and sister after being gone for three years. She'...
2.6M 58.3K 56
Olivia Riley feels as if she is nothing. She's constantly abused by her father after her mother's disappearance. The scars on her wrist are the only...