Not with a Fizzle, But with a...

By Sara_Reed

Christian Clark has made it his mission to stay away from Emerson Sinclair in the office of his company, Harv... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61 Part I
Chapter 61 Part II
Chapter 62
Chapter 63

Chapter 52

872 9 6
By Sara_Reed

Once I've changed and come down the stairs I find Coraline at the bottom. I choose to ignore her, and start walking past but she stops me, "Christian wait."

I groan internally, "What is it Coraline?"

She bites her lip and looks down, "I'm really sorry for causing you problems."

I sigh, "It's fine Coraline. Just don't do it again."

She nods and says, "You like her more than any of us. I don't get it."

I frown, "Neither do I, but don't tell her that."

I'm sitting next to Emerson when Avery says, "Em, could you go get me an apple juice from the cafeteria?"

She nods, "Of course, you want anything else?"

Avery shakes her head and glances at me, "I'm sure."

When she's standing up I pull her to me and slip my wallet into her hand, "Christian I have-"

I give her a stern look, "No."

She rolls her eyes, "Hey Mr. I only have hundreds remember last night?"

I smirk, "I took care of that with your father earlier. Now go on baby."

I kiss the top of her head and she slides off my lap with a defeated sigh.

I look at Avery once Emerson is gone and say, "So what is it?"

She bites her lip, "Christian I don't understand...why try so hard with her, why be so good to her, if you have no intention of having a real relationship with her? Or making her believe in real relationships?"

I clear my throat, "I care about her Avery, and she deserves better than me. That's why I'm not pushing her."

"So you want more?"

I frown, "I'm not sure, and I'm sorry but it's really none of your business. I know you're happy with Jude, and I'm glad he makes you so happy and vice versa but Emerson has trust issues, and frankly so do I. It takes more than a few dates to figure things like that out."

"You flew to New York for her! You had me back you up on being her boyfriend, I want to understand Christian. If you have no intention of making her yours, why try so hard? Why do so much? You could have bought a ticket for her and sent her here by herself. You didn't have to fly her out here, you didn't have to come with her."

I sigh and rub my temples, "You're right. I didn't. But I care about Emerson, I can't explain how or why. But I do, and you just have to believe that Avery."

She nods and says, "Okay but if she ends up hurt I'm not letting you near her again. Do you understand me Christian?"

I nod, "Of course, and if I hurt her I wouldn't want to go near her and hurt her again. I couldn't bare to do that. So don't let me."

She nods slowly and looks up as Emerson comes through the doorway. Emersons eyes narrow and she says, "Avery you know I can tell when you lie to me right?"

Avery gulps and nods, "Yeah."

"Just checking."

Emerson hands the apple juice to Avery after opening it for her and I pull her into my lap as Adam walks in. He glances at my arms wrapped around Emerson and says, "Thanks for getting the hotel for us Christian, it was nice of you."

Avery looks over surprised, "You did that?"

I nod, "It was no problem, I have a hotel here, one I should probably check up on actually. Nothing like a surprise visit from the boss."

"Well the girls working there are pretty hot."

Emerson frowns, "Adam that's just..."

Avery mirrors her frown, "Rude? It's no wonder my friends aren't interested."

Adam glares at her and I can't help but chuckle and nuzzle Emerson's neck. She scoots back into my lap and wraps her arms around my neck as she turns in my lap, "Be nice," she mouths.

I smirk and kiss her jaw gently, "I try."

Adam rolls his eyes, "Oh please Emerson, if you didn't have Christian you'd be all over me. Again may I add."

Avery's eyes widen and she looks at Emerson, "When?"

Emerson shrugs guilty, "It was one kiss that was a big mistake, I was drunk. On my birthday may I add. I'd never had that much to drink and he knew that. He was drunk too and quite honestly I thought he knew it was a mistake. I guess I should have told you."

I kiss her jaw and Avery says, "It's fine. But Adam, God dammit you're suppose to stay away from my friends!"

Emerson turns her head and places a kiss on my lips, "We can check on the hotel tomorrow right?"

I nod, "Of course. In fact we can have lunch there tomorrow okay?"

She nods and brushes her lips against mine, "Okay."

"So I'm suppose to tell you that mom and dad are rescheduling the trip for this fall. So whenever you can checkout you can head home and heal. Mom and dad are leaving in the morning."

Avery frowns, "They're just leaving?"

He shrugs, "Jude said he'd stay with you and take you home."

Avery pouts, "Are you leaving too?"

He shrugs, "If you want me to stay I'll stay, but tonight I have a hot date."

She scrunches up her nose and says, "Ew."

"Double ew," Emerson mutters.

Adam shoots them both dirty looks and says, "Well I'm sure Christian is happy for me."

I smirk, "Ecstatic. It gives you a reason to NOT hit on my girl."

Emerson rolls her eyes at me, "I think I gave you plenty of reasons earlier to not be jealous did I not?"

I nod and kiss her shoulder, "Yes, but I like reminders. A lot. Especially if they come in that form."

I nibble on her shoulder as she blushes and Avery raises an eyebrow at her and Adam says, "And here I thought you were still a little innocent thing. I sure hope you didn't give it up to some loser in a bar."

Emerson smirks and says, "No I didn't."

I run my hand up her leg, right to the hem of her shorts as I say, "Hmm I'm a very lucky man."

She grins and guides me to wrap my hand around her waist and up her shirt, "Hmm I think you're an extremely lucky man."

I trail my lips over her shoulder and up her neck right below her ear to the softest spot of her body. She squirms into me and Adam says, "I'll see you later sis."

Jude comes in and grins at us, "Well hello you two," he stops by Avery's bed and says, "The nurse said they're moving you to a new room tonight so I can finally bring you flowers."

Avery smiles and rolls her eyes kissing him, "You're so sweet. How are you doing with my parents though?" she winces.

He scratches his head, "Well...they seem fine now, and Adam...well Adam is pissed at me because he's jealous of Christian."

He shoots me a glare and I innocently shrug, "It's not my fault he wants what he can't have," I mutter before nibbling on Emerson's earlobe.

Avery laughs, "He's jealous?"

Emerson shakes her head, "No he's not. He walked out perfectly fine just now, and that's only because now he knows I'm not a virgin."

Jude frowns, "Do you have a lot of guys go after you just because of that?"

She nods and leans against me, "Plenty." 

He sighs, "I'm sorry Em. That's gotta suck."

She shrugs with a frown, "I'm use to it."

I kiss her jaw and Avery says, "Are you going to have dinner with my parents tonight?"

He frowns, "I wanted to eat here with you."

She frowns, "Jude you've been here all day."

He shrugs and Emerson says, "Jude come have dinner at my house."

"What about your sister?" I ask.

Emerson frowns at me, "My sister will behave, and if she doesn't I'll just kill her."

Avery frowns, "She wouldn't seriously hit on Jude knowing your best friend is engaged to him would she?"

Emerson shrugs, "I really don't know, but I wouldn't put it past her. Wait...why don't you seem surprised that she's out of rehab?"

Avery bites her lip and glances at me, "She um came by to see me."

Emerson's eyes widen, "What?! What did she say to you?"

Avery shrugs and says, "She told me to keep you away from Christian."

Jude looks just as surprised as Emerson and I. Emerson clears her throat, "Is that why you sent me out of the room?"

Avery shrugs, "Sort of, but I didn't yell at him like she wanted me too." 

Emerson looks visibly upset and she says, "Avery why the hell didn't you just tell me?"

"Because it wasn't that important. Look, if I thought any guy was bad for you, I'd yell at them myself. Your sister wouldn't need to tell me too, and it was obvious she was just jealous."

Emerson looks at me, "She really didn't yell at you?"

I shake my head and kiss her nose, "No baby. But if your best friend thought I was that bad of a guy, she'd be right. Best friends usually are."

She wraps her arms around me and sighs, "You're a good guy."

I kiss her gently and tug on her pony tail, "And you're a very good girl."

She blushes at the innuendo and hides her face in my neck.

Jude smirks and Avery says, "Jude, seriously, go have dinner with them. Please. Just get out of here for a few hours."

Em looks up, "You can go swimming," she then frowns, "Actually I want to go swimming we need to stop somewhere on the way back."

I grin, "Can I help you pick one out?"

She rolls her eyes, "No."

I pout, "Why not?"

She brushes her nose against mine and says, "We'd never get out of the dressing room."

I groan low in my throat, "Hmm you know me so well." 

She nips at my jaw and Avery says, "You could just borrow one of mine. My whole bag is packed back in the hotel." 

Em shakes her head, "I'll pick something up."

***Emerson***

A few hours later we're outback at my house, me in shorts and my bikini top, which my dad did not seem to approve of, Christian in swim trunks and a t-shirt, and my brother in the same. Coraline wears her swim bottoms, top, and a tank top.

When my brother brings out glasses and a bottle of wine I look at Coraline, "You're not abusing alcohol like mom right?"

She shakes her head, "No, it was just the drugs. I really don't drink much."

I glance at Christian who is laughing with my brother over something and I say, "Fine. Just be careful."

I stand up to help my dad and take my wine with me, "Have you talked to your mother?"

"No why?"

He shrugs, "She's with Mr. Brown this week, up in Seattle."

My jaw drops, "Mom is in Seattle with Mr. Brown?!"

My voice has risen because Ben goes, "Wait that old dude?"

I nod and Christian frowns, "He just signed the deal with me yesterday, why wouldn't he have told you?"

I frown and shrug, "I don't think he knows I know. Wait...he offered me a job before. Does he know who I really am?"

My dad nods, "Yes, that is why he offered you the job and why I offered you the other."

"All the way in Paris," Christian points out.

"With Cole," I snap.

Ben frowns, "Who's Cole?"

Christian frowns and Coraline says, "Wait...Cole...Cole Simone? As in Mr. Simone?!"

Her jaw drops and she looks at Christian, "Oh there is no way you were her first. If Mr. Simone had offered up to me I would have taken it."

"Coraline!" I yell.

She shrugs and Christian shakes his head, "Drop it Coraline." 

Ben glares at our dad, "Did you know about Mr. Simone?"

My dad shoots me a look and I say, "Ben just let it go okay? I didn't want anyone knowing."

Ben looks at Christian as Christian wraps his arms around me, "Why do you seem fine with the fact that she slept with her teacher?"

Christian rolls his eyes, "First of all, she never slept with him. Second of all, we've discussed, although I don't think that is any of your business. It's between Emerson and I."

Ben frowns and leans back, "Fine, but if I see that guy I'm kicking his ass."

I look up at Christian and mouth, "Thank you."

He kisses my jaw gently and murmurs, "You're welcome baby."

I take a sip of wine after Christian hands me my glass and my dad says, "It's weird to see all three of my children drinking."

Christian chuckles, "And this one doesn't hold her liquor very well."

I shoot daggers at him and say, "I can out drink Coraline so shush."

Coraline frowns, "She can, at least in hard liquor. She gets tipsy with wine and champagne."

I smirk, "I'll show that to you again on Saturday. We're going out with Avery and Jessica, and Matea."

Coraline nods and says, "Well...I might not be able to go out."

I frown at her and Christian looks at her questioningly, "If you don't think you should-" he begins.

She shakes her head, "No it's not that. I have a date."

My jaw drops, "What?"

She shrugs eating a sliced pickle, "Someone I ran into while they were doing volunteer work. I think you know him really well actually."

I frown and look at her questioningly, "Coraline the only single guy I know is personally is Brady and he doesn't-"

"Date?" she finishes with an eye roll, "He said you'd say that."

I look at Christian and he says, "I kind of forgot to mention that Brady volunteers at the clinic. I'll be more careful from now on."

I smack his arm, "Nice move."

He shrugs and says, "She can't cause any harm to Brady. Trust me."

"Your friend is going after my sister," I groan.

He rolls his eyes, "And your friend is going after mine. Now we're even babe."

He plants a kiss on my cheek and my dad says, "Food's done!"

I glare at my sister and say, "If you do anything to Brady I'm kicking your ass."

She rolls her eyes, "Whatever. Oh by the way, I heard you ran into Kierra."

I cross my arms and Christian shoots a glare at Coraline as I say, "Yeah, that girl is a pain in the ass."

"She's the worst," she nods, "But she said you were nice to her. I was just wondering why when you have every reason not to be?"

I frown as I sit down across from her, "Honestly? I'm not really sure. But I don't think that girl has ever had a real friend. And she needs a real friend. Desperately."

After we're done eating dinner Christian looks at my dad, "I have something to ask you. It's about EmmaVee."

My father frowns and nods, "I suppose now you understand why I wanted it so badly." 

I look over at the other end of the pool where Ben and Coraline and sitting talking, "Dad do they know what happened?"

He frowns and so does Christian, "If you're wondering if your sister knew who Christian was the answer is yes."

Christians eyes widen I say, "How is that possible?"

My father clears his throat, "She threatened to remind you when you were little, it was too traumatizing for you. Especially since you would have been reminded that your friend was gone. I had to tell her about Christian in order for her to shut up. We never talked about it again."

Christian closes his eyes briefly and I say, "I'm sorry I asked. I did not need to know about her stalker tendencies."

"Seriously," Christian mutters taking a swig of his wine.

My father nods, "Anyway, you asked about EmmaVee. I knew it was your mothers."

"Did you know there is a second part of the company out there and that I'm pretty sure my father has it?"

My dad looks shocked by this, "What? Which part?"

"The recording company," Christian sighs, "I have to have it for my sister. She's counting on this and has no idea it's technically missing."

My father nods, "I'm guessing you want me to find out if he has it?"

Christian nods, "Or if you knew who does, but evidently you don't."

"If your father doesn't have it, has anyone from your past made a reappearance in your life?"

Christian gets a wry smirk on his face and lifts my hand to his lips, "You mean besides both of your daughters?"

My father rolls his eyes, "Ha. Ha. Ha. Now seriously."

Christian frowns, "I don't think so. I don't have anyone from my past besides..." he looks at me, "Besides you. You're the only one."

I sigh, "And I'm definitely not smart enough or dumb enough to buy a company out from under you."

He grins and kisses my hand again, "I know. Plus, you're too nice for something like that."

My father frowns, "Is there anyone from college? Or maybe someone you've fired? Anyone close to you that could be angry enough to find out who you really are?"

Christian's gaze hardens, "All I was, was a boy that was raised in a home where my mother didn't care enough to not sleep around and my father was a drunk druggie."

My father shakes his head, "You were also the son of a very rich family Christian. Could it be your Aunt?"

Christian shakes his head, "She's dead and has no children. I have no biological family left." 

"What about a foster home?" I ask, "You had to of been in one Christian. They wouldn't just hand you over to Callen and Ella."

Christian frowns, "I'm not sure where I was Em. I was seven when it happened, I think, and I was eight when I was living with Callen and Ella."

I frown thinking of the dates, "Christian, if I'm counting right that's a whole six months missing from your life."

He looks at me a bit shocked and says, "I hadn't thought of it like that."

My father says, "Christian, you need to find out where you were, and who you were with. Someone could be after your money, or willing to expose who your father is."

Christian frowns, "You never told Victoria did you?"

My father frowns, "I...I did."

I look at Christian, "As much as I hate her she wouldn't do that to you."

He frowns, "I know, but who would? I've done anything to anyone Em."

I look at him and say, "Did any of those girls have ex-husbands for boyfriends or anything like that?"

His jaw drops, "Em!"

I give him a pointed look, "It's possible. You need to be careful."

He nods slowly and takes a drink of his wine, "Yeah, apparently so."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

247K 3.8K 40
An interview as Theo James' personal assistant goes awry when Ellie realizes that the job details include much more. With her eye on the paycheck and...
11.9K 495 24
When Lydia's scream causes Sara to shift against her will, while struggling to find where she fits in Derek's pack, and as Scott's Guardian, things b...
269K 5.2K 21
When Ana found out she was pregnant Christian wanted nothing to do with her, not out of hatred but out of fear of becoming a father. As he walks away...
1.5K 20 46
Thanks to E L James for Fifty Shades Trilogy and your wonderful characters. Once again I am using some of your main characters. Anastasia Steele 18...