The Turbulence✔️ (#1 in the O...

By thedreamelixir_

Yemisi is a strong woman who has been sharpened through the hottest furnaces of life by having to deal with i... More

Introduction
1: The Betrothal
2: The Fattest Rum!
3: The Leader of the Rapists.
4: The Hotel Room
5: The Impromptu Investigation
6: The Employee
7: The Departure
8: The Mish-Mash
9: The Prayer
10: The Old Woman.
11: The Conversation
12: The Hot Seat
13: The Discovery
14: The Confrontation
15: The Conflicted.
16: The Outburst
17: Making Adequate Efforts
18: Testing Times
19: Investigation Barriers
20: Devising Dubious Plans
21: Bringing out the little girl
22: The Truth
23: Making Findings
25: The implications of overwhelming emotions
26: The limping man.
27: Crossroads
28: The Party.
29: Ransacking the fish farm
30: Dining with the devil
31: The Day of Doom.
32: Fishy Feels with The Fish Farmer.
33: The Mystery in Corruption
34: The Smoothest Vindication.
35: Frying Pan to Fire
36: Further Exposures
37: Going Back.
38: Twice as Brave
39: The Meeting
40: Battles and Defeats
41: Understanding the Assignment
42: Love Idiosyncrasies
43: Prison Reunion
44: The Last Turbulence
45: Family Reunion
Epilogue
Quick Note

24: An abrupt disruption of plans

22 3 12
By thedreamelixir_

Christopher
Bonn, Germany

My phone interrupted my sleep well enough for me to ignore the sound and go deeper into slumber. I opened my heavy eyelids. The morning was still early, intensely dark with the light from my vibrating phone being the only form of illumination.

It was a message notification. A very important one. A collection of missed calls followed. Quickly, I left for the bathroom, ensuring to be discreet about it so I wouldn't awaken my sleeping wife. The next time my phone chimed, I was fit and ready enough to answer it.

"Is there an update?"

"Yes sir."

"Should I come over now?"  I looked at the time, it was half-past four.

"Yes sir. Only feral cats are in sight."

"Wait for me."

I rushed back to the bedroom, noiselessly as I could to grab my coat from the sofa when my eyes moved to her peacefully sleeping form on the bed, believing that I was still next to her. I wished I would not have to leave her when we just had the most beautiful night together but I had to pay the price first so I could enjoy later with a clear mind.

I dropped a note by the table. An affectionate kiss came next. I covered her body with the blanket so she wouldn't catch a cold. I wore my coat over my pajamas and hurried down the stairs.

***

It didn't take long for my car to be covered in snow once I had gotten to the third street. Hurriedly like a homeless rooster, I rushed into the building and took the elevator to the fourth floor - where my office was situated. It was silent and dark with only the lighting from my phone aiding me to see the floor ahead.

I deliberately let it remain that way as I hurried to my office, my phone firm in my hand. I couldn't afford to be seen by an outsider. Bonn was a strange place as I had gotten to observe.

I opened the door with a bit of trepidation and turned on the light. The curtains were closed and the person who called was already seated. I was pleased to see that he was able to keep to a simple policy - secrecy.

"I didn't expect to get feedback so soon." and at such an early hour.

"Madam Irene is a force here in Bonn so it was easy to locate her enemies."

"Hm, " I settled on my seat and cleaned my eyes. "What did you find?"

"First, I learned from one of the informants who happened to live in Madam Irene's former neighborhood that she is a total villain and is very smooth about it. Normally, people saw her mother outside quite regularly and suddenly no one saw her leave the house ever again and that strange occurrence started after Irene came by to visit once. A witness saw Irene pack a few luggage that afternoon and assumed that she and her mother were relocating but the witness never saw her mother step out to join Irene in moving but as of then, it didn't seem too suspicious. Everyone just sorts of assumed that no one lived there again until a realtor as was told stepped into the house and saw her mother bedridden with smelling, rotting sores on her body."

"So...the probabilities are Irene knew her mother was sick before the time she stopped by and chose to leave her to rot or...she did something to her that must have caused her to be in that state."

"Yes, " affirmed the man.

"So...what did the realtor do after he found her mother? Were you told anything on that?"

"The realtor couldn't even touch the woman talk more of rush her to a nearby clinic for fear of contacting what must have looked like a disease to him."

"A disease. Hm."

What if Irene was the one who hurt her mother grievously and probably found out about the realtor and threatened him to tell that lie? I mean I'm not as good as my wife when it comes to being a detective but still, maybe this is just a matter that requires an application of common sense.

"I don't think Irene knew her mum was ill and left her mum to die. She seemed to be a healthy woman before that afternoon, " my informant seemed to have read my mind as he spoke.

"What about her father? Where has he been?"

That was who I was the most concerned about and the answer I get might prove some of my thoughts right.

"I didn't get any exact news about him. However, I asked three people and got different answers that somehow still serve as clues. One said that his death has been rumored for months with his body nowhere in sight. Another said he saw a body that looked familiar to her Dad's with gory, decayed sores all over while the third said something similar."

"Did you ask the second person more questions? Like where her dad was when her mother stayed all alone in that house."

"No, because first, the informant wasn't even sure the body was Irene's dad's but I'm guessing Irene's dad got hurt before her mother."

"So he's either dying or he's dead."

"Yes."

I had the sick feeling that Irene was doing the most to get rid of every evidence that might aid the nullity of the 'betrothal' she claims to have with me. The likelihood that she has done the same harm to her father could not be overlooked looking at how possible it is that she hurt him first since he was the one who had the power to nullify the engagement between us and then went ahead to hurt her mother just in case she wanted to take her father's place.

But still, I had to be sure about her dad so I could know what decision to make.

"We have to be certain though, " I sighed.

"I know that sir. I would do some more digging today."

"Yes, you would. I'm impressed with everything you've told me so far but If I don't get confirmation soon, I would be the edgiest man alive."

My thoughts were already running wild, wondering who Irene would hurt next. The options that came to my mind hit closely. My mother came first but It didn't seem likely, seeing that she was in support of the betrothal but it wouldn't be impossible especially if it turns out to be that Irene's dad is dead and my mother happens to change her mind and switch sides.

My mother hurt me badly but I couldn't help but feel the need to protect her from a Beelzebub like Irene which was why I had to know if her dad was dead or not as soon as possible.

The need for urgency accelerated even higher when I thought of my wife and her being a prospective victim in Irene's grasp. The corrupt ones were always afraid of good, incorruptible lawyers and would do anything to eliminate them.

Geez... I wouldn't be happy with myself if I let things get out of hand when I have the power to act quickly.

"It's five forty-five. Some residents would be awake by now. I have to get going."

"Yes, you should. You might get accurate information this time."

We shook hands and he left. I decided to stay back and get some work done so I could leave work early since I was already there.

**

By three, I was satisfied with how much work I was able to accomplish and was set to leave. I saw a strange vehicle at the very front of the parking lot outside. With a suspicious gut feeling, I fastened my steps outside of the building.

I was just about to knock at the tainted windscreen of the car with hopes that its owner was at the front seat when the front door opened and she stepped out of it, slowly.

She. She whom I was trying so hard to eliminate from everything that pertained to my life.

"What is it?" I gritted my teeth, thoroughly annoyed.

"I was going to walk in if you came out any later."

"My employees wouldn't have let you in. What. Is. It?"

"I'm not here for long talks. Not at all. Of what good would it be?" she laughed, took a pause, and then smiled dreamily, gazing into my eyes, her red lipstick, glossier than ever. Then she stopped smiling. "I just thought to let you know that I'm fully aware of what you're doing."

"I dare you to tell me what you think it is."

Yes, Chris! You didn't stammer! Way to freaking go!

"Not that I think, " she smirked. "I know."

She gazed into my eyes and I kept firmly to my stance as well as I gazed back. The cold fire in her eyes was out to test every emotion that I failed to hide properly beneath my expression and any emotion that couldn't withstand the fire nor get refined by it would have to succumb to defeat, exposed and burned into ashes.

Our staring contest continued for a while and when she seemed to be satisfied, she smiled swiftly and grazed her hands over the collars of my coat. My mind went atwitter. I couldn't wait to see what the result would be.

"I'm pregnant with your child, Christopher."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

85K 2.8K 87
[START : 21 JULY, 2020] [COMPLETE : 19 AUGUST, 2023] #1 in murder #1 in Possessive He kissed me back with urgency, at last pulling my bottom lip bet...
Duby's Doctor By Iris Chacon

Mystery / Thriller

149K 11K 40
Winner The Crystal Awards 2016, Best Multimedia Story (3d Place). A spinster doctor rents her spare room to a brain-damaged patient who doesn't...
528K 27.4K 83
She is stubborn, hot-headed and hard to control. She is very arrogant and savage like her mom. But she is everything of her family. Specially, her da...
13.2K 3K 31
In a quest for an heir, Mr. Obed's daughter, Folakemi Obed became betrothed to Olamide Garba. Fola had a distaste for Olamide's personality and she c...