FAULT LINES ━━ oikawa tooru...

By luckyvirgo

KATSURAGI MISAKI has one mission as the manager of Aobajohsai High's Volleyball team. Finish off her third o... More

𝐅𝐀𝐔𝐋𝐓 π‹πˆππ„π’
π„ππˆπ†π‘π€ππ‡ 𝐀𝐍𝐃 π’πŽπ”ππƒπ“π‘π€π‚πŠ
1 - A Long Couple Of Months
2 - A Manager's Job
3 - A Welcoming Team
5 - An Intense Practice
6 - A Tournament's Beginning
7 - A Familiar Routine
8 - A Team's Effort
9 - A Chance Lost (And A Chance Gained)
10 - A Day Shattered
11 - A Friendship Torn
12 - An Emotional Day
13 - A Good Cry
14 - An Unneeded Emotion
15 - An Argument Resolved
16 - A Friend's Comfort
17 - A Rather Good Day
18 - A Very Happy Day
19 - A Confused Heart
20 - A Mess Of Emotions
21 - A Walking ClichΓ©
22 - A First Of Many
23 - A Start Of Something
24 - An Everlasting Feeling
25 - A Day Of Feelings
26 - A Tournament's Start
27 - An Everlasting Promise
28 - A Positive Outcome
29 - See You Later
30 - EPILOGUE

4 - A Hardworking Player

6K 260 183
By luckyvirgo

CHAPTER FOUR

      Practice. Practice. Practice.

      That was the mantra followed by Aoba Johsai's volleyball team. The Inter-High prelims were drawing closer and closer and the entire team was completely invested in improving, even if they were already incredible. For the third years, this was a special tournament. It would be their last chance to beat Shiratorizawa and get to the Nationals. But with this current team, Misaki knew they could win. This was a team she knew had the maximum chances of actually getting to the Nationals. Every single one of the players had so much talent and potential and she knew all of them were practicing very hard.

      She sat on the bench, clipboard in hand as she watched the players. Usually, she would be sitting alone, noting down all data by herself. But since Yuki had joined the team, she had another person to share her burden with. Not that it was a burden in any way.

      "Uh, Misaki-senpai," Yuki suddenly spoke up. "Can I ask you something?"

      "Sure," Misaki turned towards the first year with a smile. "What is it?"

      "Everybody seems to be practicing really hard and that is good, but the third years seem to be putting in an extra effort. Is there a reason for that?"

      Misaki put down the clipboard in her lap, bringing her hands together as she sighed. "For the past two years, we've been getting to the finals and losing against Shiratorizawa Academy. But this time, I think we've got our best chance at winning and going to the nationals."

      "Oh, I see," Yuki replied. "I think we can do it too. I've not been with you all too long, but I can see everybody is a hard worker and they can beat this school."

      "Yeah, they are," Misaki answered with a proud smile, her gaze falling over the gym. Sounds of volleyball hitting the floor, being served, being tossed, being spiked or being blocked...these were her favorite sounds and this team was her favorite team.

      Mondays were a day off for the team, although sometimes, she'd find players practicing even then and she had to forcefully drag them away from the gym and scold them about the demerits of overworking. It was also a day she could relax and do something for herself. Like baking. She rarely baked, but when she just craved the taste of cake and going to the bakery felt like a pain, she made things herself.

      Her ingredients were all set in front of her in the kitchen and she was ready to start. But even as she went to grab the bowl, the doorbell rang multiple times, loud and clear and persistent.

      There was only one person who rang it like that.

      "Oikawa Tooru, what the hell are you doing here?" As soon as Misaki opened the door, she glared at the boy in question, who by the way, was dressed in volleyball gear, holding his bag and a volleyball. "Today is a day of rest. Rest. You know what that means, don't you?"

      "Misa-chan, but I'm so bored stuck at home! And I can't sit still when the Inter-High is so close," Oikawa sent her a pleading look. "I need to improve my serves so that I can beat that annoying Ushiwaka. And Iwa-chan refused to practice with me, so please practice with me."

      "Well, that's because he's smart," Misaki answered, crossing her arms. "And he knows that he shouldn't overwork himself. And besides, let's not forget what happened the last time you overdid things."

      Oikawa let out a whine. "Misa-chan, don't be so mean to me."

      Misaki let out a sigh. Why was it that her day off always ended up with her spending time with Oikawa? Either she would be playing volleyball with him or end up watching movies with him and Iwaizumi. She really needed time for herself, but nope, Oikawa would never understand that.

      "Okay," She finally said. "I'll make you a deal. You help me out in the kitchen and we can go to the park where you can throw your tosses. And I'll let you practice extra tomorrow because I'm nice like that."

      "Thank you, Misa-chan! You're the best," Oikawa said in excitement. Suddenly, Misaki found herself being pulled into his arms. Since she was shorter than him, her face ended up being pressed against his torso, a lemon-y smell filling her nose (probably the soap he used).

      She smacked his arm harshly. "Let go of me, you idiot! You need to stop hugging me like this!"

      "But I thought you liked my hugs."

      'I do like your hugs, but I will never say it to your face.' "Not if you surprise me like that. Next time you do that, I'll hit you so hard that you'll not think about volleyball for a week."

      "Meanie," Oikawa said as he let go of her. "You and Iwa-chan are always bullying me."

      "Well, you kinda deserve it," Misaki said, patting his shoulder with a mocking smile. "Now step inside, loser."

      Oikawa made a face at the remark, but entered the house nonetheless. He removed his shoes and kept his bag near the stairs along with the ball. He followed her down the familiar hallway, passing the living room and the master bedroom of the house. "Misa-chan, where are your parents? I wanna say hi to them."

      "Dad has a case today and mom is working on some big project so they aren't home yet," Misaki replied. There was no way she was telling him that her parents were not home for the next two days and she had the whole house to herself. Last time Oikawa had learnt she was home alone, her house had become an impromptu destination for a movie night with the current Seijoh third years on the team.

      Cleaning up the living room after that had not been fun.

       "Aww, I'm so sorry you are alone," Oikawa said with a teasing tone. "Do you want another hug?"

      "From your stick-thin arms?" Misaki said without looking back. "No thank you."

      "Hey, I have muscles too!"

      "Sorry to say, you don't. Compared to Iwaizumi, you're literally a stick."

       "Well, no one can compare to Iwa-chan's biceps, okay? Who even has arms like those?"

        "I bet you that if your fangirls saw Iwa's arms, they'd forget all about you and flock over to him."

      "Yeah, you're rig-wait, no. I love my fangirls! They are very nice people! I don't want them to leave me."

      "I'm sure they won't," Misaki said, turning around slightly with a grin on her face. "Now, enough chit-chat, Trashykawa. You are interrupting my off-day. Don't think I'm letting you go scot-free."

      "Wait, what do you mean? Misa-chan. Misa-chan!"

      One thing good about having Oikawa at her house was that Misaki had help in cleaning up the kitchen. After cleaning up the kitchen and finishing baking the cake (and putting it in a container for Oikawa's family), both of them ended up walking to the park that was near their home. It was the very park where Misaki had first met Iwaizumi and then later Oikawa.

      Thankfully, the park was empty today, though most of the times you would find one or two children playing here. Oikawa and Misaki stopped in the wide-open space next to the swings. Keeping their bags nearby, the two started tossing the ball between them . Well, Oikawa was the one tossing and Misaki was the 'receiver'/catcher.

      "Hey, Misa-chan," Oikawa asked as he tossed the ball towards her. She caught it with ease. "Can I ask you something?"

      "What?" Misaki answered as she returned the ball back. "And don't ask something weird."

      "It's nothing weird," Oikawa tossed the ball towards her again. "I just...do you think I am a good player? Do you think we'll beat Shiratorizawa and go to Nationals?"

      "Huh?" The ball almost slipped out of her hands. Where was this coming from anyway? "What kind of question is that? Of course, we'll beat Shiratorizawa and go to Nationals. We can definitely do it with this year's team. This Inter-High is in the bag for us."

      Misaki threw the ball back at him. Instead of tossing it again, Oikawa stopped, those soft brown eyes staring into her own. To describe the emotion in them would be hard. It always had been. She had never been able to truly understand what he felt, though she could see through his lies. Only Iwaizumi could understand what he felt and that made her a little jealous.

      But Misaki had known Oikawa long enough to understand that he happened to be insecure. He was no genius like Kageyama was and she was ashamed to admit it, but compared to Ushiwaka, his serves were a little weak (though they were strong on their own). He had worked hard to get to where he was and Misaki had watched him through everything. At Kitagawa Dai-ichi and now at Aoba Johsai.

      Behind that pretty face was a boy who still sometimes didn't believe in himself.

      "Oikawa, look, you aren't a genius like Kageyama. Right now, your serves are just below Ushiwaka's in strength, though they are strong."

      "Ouch," Oikawa interrupted, making a face. "That's mean, Misa-chan."

      "Will you let me complete what I was saying?" Misaki answered with a slight glare. She walked right to him, grabbing both his hands. The sudden force made the ball slip and fall to the ground. It rolled away, coming to a stop just a few feet away. "You are no genius, Oikawa Tooru. You are smart, you work hard. You practice so much. And even a non-player like me can say your tosses are incredible."

      She paused, looking up at those soft brown eyes. "The team and I believe you, so you have to believe in them. If you keep on acting like this, I'll hit you."

      To make him believe her, Misaki let go of his hands and then punched his right arms. "See?"

      "Misa-chan, that hurts!" Oikawa whined in his usual way. "What is with you and Iwa-chan and hitting me?"

      "You already know the answer to that question," Misaki grinned at him. She walked back to her original position, still smiling. Turning towards the pretty-faced boy, she grinned again. "Now, come on, loser. Toss to me before it's sundown and we have to return home."

      Oikawa hadn't said anything about their conversation yet. But Misaki knew that he'd eventually say it. Maybe not through words. Through his own Oikawa-Tooru-pretty-setter way.

      (Also, she really needed to stop referring to him as pretty. What was up with that?')

Both Misaki and Oikawa being in love with Iwaizumi's biceps? You bet. This story being a mildly fast-burn. That's also true

I know this was a more dialogue-heavy chapter, but this is my speciality and I always love writing dialogue, especially for Oikawa. Writing for him is kinda heard since you never really know what he is thinking, but I hope I managed to capture his personality well. Let me know your thoughts in the comments! And thank you for reading!

Also on a more important note, currentinfo.carrd.co has links to other carrds regarding various happenings around the world, including Black Lives Matter and the Yemen Crisis. Make sure you check out the link (which will be in the comments as well as the external link) and sign as many petitions as you can and help out in any way you are able to. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

439K 14.5K 49
[[COMPLETED]] (L/n) (Y/n), a third year from Aoba Johsai is also the manager for the Boys' Volleyball Club. Join her in their wacky and stupid advent...
232K 5.6K 48
After reuniting with your twin brother and meeting all his friends you only fall for one. Started~ Marβ€’11β€’2021 Ended~ Julyβ€’22β€’2021 #1 Aoba Johsai #4...
13.9K 413 13
The managers of the Boys Karasuno Volleyball Club have a field trip they need to go on. With the team practicing for big practice games with some of...
806K 22K 41
A haikyuu fanfic!! A normal girl, with a big passion for volleyball goes to Karasuno and she is determined to be the best volleyball player, even th...