6 - A Tournament's Beginning

CHAPTER SIX

CHAPTER SIX

      The day of the Inter-High prelims was finally here and Misaki was up too early.

      She wouldn't lie to herself. She felt strangely jittery for some reason and the nerves had caused her to have strange dreams she no longer remembered. Just...they were strange dreams. And now, she was awake, at a time that was too early. She lay still on her bed, staring at the ceiling overhead.

      'What time is it?' Misaki sleepily thought. Yawning, she reached for her bedside table and grabbed her phone. When she checked the time, she felt like punching herself. It was 4:15 in the morning and it was too early for tournament days. She put her phone back, let out a small yawn and buried herself in the pillow. She had to fall asleep now, otherwise, she would end up sleeping on the bus ride. The last time she had done that, Makki ended up taking pictures of her sleeping with her mouth open and drooling and send them to the third years' group chat. Never had she felt more humiliated than that moment.

      (Of course, she had gotten her revenge on Makki later - but that was a story for another time)

      She buried herself further into her pillow. 'Sleep. Sleep. Sleep. Sleep.'

      She repeated the words in her head over and over again till she felt her eyes falling shut. She was on the verge of falling back asleep when her phone rang. She swore, very loudly and nearly fell off the bed as she went to grab the stupid little thing and yell at whoever was calling her.

       Steadying herself, Misaki picked up the call, barely glancing at the caller ID. "If you don't give me a proper reason as to why you are calling me, I will come over to your house and break every bone in your body so that you never play volleyball again."

      "Aren't you being a little too violent in the morning?" Iwaizumi said, as he yawned.

      "Well, someone decided to call me, didn't he?" Even if it was Iwaizumi, Misaki would not spare him. "Why are you awake and calling me? Shouldn't you be sleeping right now? Go back to sleep and leave me alone for the next hour or two."