4 - A Hardworking Player

CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR

      Practice. Practice. Practice.

      That was the mantra followed by Aoba Johsai's volleyball team. The Inter-High prelims were drawing closer and closer and the entire team was completely invested in improving, even if they were already incredible. For the third years, this was a special tournament. It would be their last chance to beat Shiratorizawa and get to the Nationals. But with this current team, Misaki knew they could win. This was a team she knew had the maximum chances of actually getting to the Nationals. Every single one of the players had so much talent and potential and she knew all of them were practicing very hard.

      She sat on the bench, clipboard in hand as she watched the players. Usually, she would be sitting alone, noting down all data by herself. But since Yuki had joined the team, she had another person to share her burden with. Not that it was a burden in any way.

      "Uh, Misaki-senpai," Yuki suddenly spoke up. "Can I ask you something?"

      "Sure," Misaki turned towards the first year with a smile. "What is it?"

      "Everybody seems to be practicing really hard and that is good, but the third years seem to be putting in an extra effort. Is there a reason for that?"

      Misaki put down the clipboard in her lap, bringing her hands together as she sighed. "For the past two years, we've been getting to the finals and losing against Shiratorizawa Academy. But this time, I think we've got our best chance at winning and going to the nationals."

      "Oh, I see," Yuki replied. "I think we can do it too. I've not been with you all too long, but I can see everybody is a hard worker and they can beat this school."

      "Yeah, they are," Misaki answered with a proud smile, her gaze falling over the gym. Sounds of volleyball hitting the floor, being served, being tossed, being spiked or being blocked...these were her favorite sounds and this team was her favorite team.

these were her favorite sounds and this team was her favorite team