8 - A Team's Effort

CHAPTER EIGHT

CHAPTER EIGHT

      Misaki first met Iwaizumi and Oikawa when she was six, having moved from the concrete jungle that was Tokyo to the mountains of Miyagi.

      She remembered that she had been rather self-conscious, hiding behind her mother's legs as her parents introduced themselves to Iwaizumi's family, who lived just a turn down the road from them. Iwaizumi had been nice and introduced himself with a rather soft voice (this was much before he became the gruff Iwa she knew today) and had asked her if she liked volleyball. Misaki had nodded and muttered a quiet 'yes'.

      "Okay!" Iwaizumi had said with excitement. "You can meet one of my friends and the three of us can play volleyball together."

      Her parents had never been more eager to send her away with a stranger. But later it would turn out that her mom had gone to college with Iwaizumi's mom, so technically they had a connection there.

      Iwaizumi, though...he was loud, unlike her quiet cousin back in Tokyo. He smiled often, laughed loudly. And that was the reason kids wanted to be friends with him. But really, in their locality, there weren't many kids of their age. Instead, it was just Misaki, him and his friend.

      Who was his friend?

      Was Misaki friends with Iwaizumi already? (They were kids and kids formed friendships with few words, silence or excited sentences)

      His friend...his friend was Oikawa Tooru.

      From the start, Misaki disliked him. He was so loud, and this was not like the comforting loudness Iwaizumi had. And he was mean. He made fun of her hair and her front teeth that happened to be slightly crooked. She hated him; she really hated him. But he was Iwaizumi's friend and so she would try to be friends with him

      But Oikawa didn't like her either. For some reason, he was jealous of her though she had no clue what jealousy was back then. (The worst part then, was when they learnt they shared the same birthday)

      "I don't like you, because Iwa-chan always wants to play with you," He had said. "And I don't want to play with you."

      Stupid, kiddish reasons...but six year old Misaki thought Oikawa really hated her and so she cried. Then Iwaizumi hit Oikawa for making her cry and all was well in their little kiddish bubble.