when to let go | l.h.

By contem-plating

"it's hard to know when to let go.. but you deserve so much more." rankings: #2 in lukehemmings #1... More

one
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
twenty four
twenty five
twenty six
twenty seven
twenty eight
twenty nine
thirty
thirty one
thirty two
thirty three
thirty four
thirty five
thirty six
thirty seven

two

1K 29 23
By contem-plating

when i woke up the next morning daniel had already gone off to work and i was left lying in bed alone. i squinted over at the clock on the nightstand, reading that it was just after eight in the morning. rubbing my eyes, i sat up taking a minute to adjust to the brightness of the room before standing up.

today was the day of my last exam before graduation, but luckily it wasn't until 11' o clock so i had time to go for a run and do some last minute studying.

running always helps me to destress and not have to worry about anything for a period of time. it helped me to clear my mind and relax, which was what i needed before this last exam. so i pulled myself out of bed and changed before tying up my hair and heading into the kitchen. i grabbed my headphones and phone sending daniel a quick text before i went.

me
morning danny 💗

i have my last exam today so i'll be studying until then. i'll call you later when it's over.

have a good day !
delivered

when i realized he wasn't going to be answering anytime soon i just turned on some music and made my way out the door. since i had the time i figured a two mile run would be good for me and i went on my way.

the fresh air instantly filled my nose and already made my feel a bit better about today. the clear skies made my feel as if there was nothing weighing down on me despite the quickening of my breath as i ran and the responsibilities i had.

when i returned home, i headed straight into the kitchen to get some water and checked my phone once more. there was only one notification and it was from luke.

breadstick
you. me. breakfast and cramming.

9:30 sharp.

be there or be ◻️.

i replied to tell him i'd meet him soon before hurrying to take a shower in change. luckily luke only lived about 15 minutes from me so by the time i got to his apartment it was only a little after 9:30.

i got out of my car and made my way to his apartment, knocking on his door.

"boo, you whore." he pouted at me and pointed his spatula in my face. "you're late."

"i'm sorry lucas, i had to shower before i came or you would've been graced with a sweaty mess." i pushed my way past him and set my bag on the table. "it smells good though."

i smiled at the nice gesture and took a seat at the island next to him.

"luke hemming's famous pancakes don't wait for anyone." he scoffed and set a plate in front of me anyway before taking the seat beside me.

we both quietly began to eat before he spoke again. "so, how was your fancy anniversary dinner last night?" he asked wiggling his eyebrows.

i felt a small hint of disappointment spread back through me but i pushed it away and sent him a small smile. "daniel had a really busy day yesterday so he didn't really remember. he went out with some guys after work to relax." i shrug and take another bite of the food in front of me keeping my gaze off of luke. without even seeing his face i could tell he was looking at me disapprovingly.

"laila come on, you believe that?" he sighed. "what kind of person forgets their own anniversary?"

"he was busy luke, it must have slipped his mind. he felt bad about it and he apologized." i glanced over at him finally meeting his eyes.

again he sighed. "i don't know why you stay with him and make excuses for his behavior. that's just ridiculous."

"okay luke enough, i know you don't like him for whatever reason but he's really a good guy. it was an honest mistake." i stood up before he could say another word and took my plate to the sink to start washing the dishes for him.

he didn't say another word as he finished his breakfast as well and brought me his plate. when i dried my hands he pulled me into a hug.

"i'm sorry, i'm just trying to look out for you. i know you're more upset than you are letting on to me and i know how hard you worked on that dinner. you deserve someone who will appreciate your effort and not take it for granted," he hummed into my hair.

i hugged him back gently before pulling away. "i know you are luke but it's okay, really."

he nodded. "well let's go do some last minute studying yeah?"

***

"how do you think you did?" luke asked as we walked to my car after the exam.

"honestly, i feel really good about it. i can't believe we're done with college" it was a relief to be done even though it felt strange to think about.

"speak for yourself, i still have one more exam before we graduate on saturday." luke groaned and rested his elbow on my shoulder. something he did often because of our height difference. "speaking of graduation, the boys and i are gonna go to calum's for drinks to celebrate afterwards, are you coming?"

we stopped once we got to my car. "i'll let you know once i talk to danny." i smiled and wished him luck on his next exam. "let me know how it goes."

i met luke my freshman year of college seeing as we were both business majors. along with him came his other three friends from high school who i've grown to love just as much. but for awhile this had caused a huge fight between daniel and i, which is when i found out that he had cheated on me. he wasn't too fond of me having a bunch of guy friends so he wanted to get back at me. but when he finally met the boys, he wasn't too bothered anymore. i had still kept my distance from them for awhile but he eventually got over it.

once luke had left, i got in my car and made my way back home.  as i walked inside i made sure i called daniel like i told him i would, although he still hadn't replied. surprisingly, he answered.

"hey babe, what's up?" he sounded short so he must've been busy.

"i just got done with my last exam, i wanted to check in on you an see how work was."

"oh well it's still pretty busy, you know how it is this time of year. i'll see you later okay?"

"yeah okay, i love you." i mumbled and hung up the phone.

the conversation i had with luke earlier came to my head but i shook it off. if i got upset at him it would be selfish.

that night daniel came home with a card he must've got from the store after work and gave it to me. i smiled gently knowing he meant well and he felt bad for forgetting our anniversary. quietly, i stood up and pressed a soft kiss to his lips.

"thank you baby, that was sweet of you." i hum against his lips. i still didn't feel completely better about it and i didn't know why but, all those feelings were forgotten when he pulled me down into his lap on the couch without breaking the kiss.

his hands found my hips and quickly slipped under my shirt while his lips moved to my neck to suck on the spot just below my ear.

"i'll give you the rest of your gift later." he whispered before setting me down beside him on the couch. i felt the color rise to my cheeks at his words and quick actions and i nodded my head quickly.

"I love you." i breathed out.

"love you too liala." he said before heading to the kitchen to find something to eat for dinner.

{author's note}
idk how i feel about this chapter.
i hope you guys stick around though :)
(unedited)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.4K 942 46
in which three boys need to fix something and one girl needs to be something (disclaimer: angst + death) - highest rankings: #59 sadstory #65 micha...
80.7K 2K 49
I thought I had everything I could have ever dreamt of, the job, the house and you. But then you walked out on me and I don't know how to start over...
110K 2.2K 82
Does anybody know what it's really like to be famous? *COMPLETED* (Under Editing- Sorry for spell mistakes or grammatical errors, will be fixed soon...
14.2K 299 27
Looking after his dog was just supposed to be a job. it all started out just fine but somehow things escalated. I never expected for things to chang...