The Hidden One

By idksomethingnotlame

"She'll be the most powerful witch to ever exist." "And he will be very upset about that if he ever comes bac... More

0. prologue and cast
1. the train ride
2. first day
3. moony's class
4. broom lessons
5. break-ins
6. private lessons
7. quidditch matches
8. getting the map
9. hogsmeade
10. awkward conversations
11. birthdays surprises
12. spilled secrets
13. fights and feuds
14. fear
15. coming home
16. the final match
17. anxieties
18. the reveal
19. the story
20. the rat
21. werewolves
22. important conversations
23. going home
24. summer
25. makeups
26. hospital visits
reunions
holding hands
water runs
world cup
dark marks
presents
adult conversations
back to school
first day
ferrets
arguments
new students
quidditch players and veelas
the goblet
cousins
saying goodbye
new home
daily prophet
fireplace conversations
the first task
house elves
dates
stupid boys
yule ball
awkwardness
baths
the second task
articles
hate mail
mr. crouch
practicing spells
visitors
the third task
the graveyard
angry ministers
memorials
failed powers
mirror conversations
nightmares
windows
revealed truths
food fights
new information
tapestries
the trial
boggarts
punches
ministry interference
throwing books
biscuits
detentions
final detention
high inquisitor
hog's head
hurt owls
room of requirement
lifelong bans
giants
thesterals
snake bites
big surprises
girl fights
valentine's day
the quibbler
last meeting
fireworks
office break ins
giant brothers
OWLs
orbs
archways
prophecies
arrivals
letters
alive
the burrow
birthdays
pygmy puffs
broken noses
amortentia
tryouts
kittens
captains
new rooms
warnings
Christmas parties
Christmas eve
rings
poisoned mead
cracked skulls
horcruxes
Jealousy
Astronomy towers
broken backs
funerals
missions
missing ears
wills
polyjuice potion
engagements
engagement articles
planning
dungeons
doubt
godric's hollow
sick
promises
shell cottage
parents
dragons
ariana
diadems
nagini
elder wands
memorials (epilogue)
note from the author
sequel
a quick message
Bonus chapter
Bonus chapter
bonus chapter
bonus chapter

revealed secrets

13.1K 506 216
By idksomethingnotlame

Rose slammed into the ground, her nose hitting the soft grass. She opened her eyes and sat up and saw Harry in a similar position to her, except his eyes were still closed. He was clutching the cup and Cedric.

"Harry?" Rose whispered. Harry opened his eyes and sat up and pulled her into a hug, sobbing into her hair as she sobbed into his chest. She opened her eyes and saw the cold, dead eyes of Cedric and she fell out of Harry's arms onto Cedric.

"Cedric, please...wake up...wake up! Wake up!" Rose cried. She didn't hear the cheers of the crowd.

"Harry! Rose!"

Rose looked up at Dumbledore and saw him crouched next to Harry. Rose finally noticed that they had landed on the edge of the maze. Rose sobbed and moved to hold Cedric's head in her lap as Harry clutched Cedric's chest. Rose closed Cedric's eyes as tears poured out of hers.

"He's back. Voldemort...he's back," Harry whispered. Rose let out another sob and leaned forward until her forehead was rested on Cedric's. She quickly sat back up when she felt how cold he already was.

"What's going on? What's happened?"

Cornelius Fudge appeared over Harry, his face white.

"My God-Diggory!" Fudge whispered. "He's dead!"

Rose faintly heard his words repeated, slowly growing in volume as more of the crowd heard. Some yells were accusing Rose of killing him, but she couldn't comprehend them.

"Harry, Rose, you have to let go," Fudge said softly. Rose stared up at him with wide eyes and shook her head no, more sobs coming out of her mouth. Fudge immediately knew that there was no way this girl had killed Cedric. Neither teen let go.

"Harry, Rose, please...you can't help him. Let go," Dumbledore whispered.

"I...I can heal him. He's going to wake up! He has to!" Rose sobbed. Fudge looked to Dumbledore in confusion but no one noticed. Dumbledore looked to the ground sadly and shook his head no.

"He wanted me to bring him back...back to his parents," Harry explained through sobs.

"That's right, Harry...just let go now..."

Rose watched as Dumbledore bent down and lifted Harry from the body. Harry started swaying as Dumbledore lifted Rose away too.

"He'll need to go to the hospital wing!" Fudge said loudly. Rose could faintly hear people shouting about Cedric as she leaned on Harry. Both teens were swaying. "He's ill-Dumbledore, Diggory's parents, they're here..."

Rose could barely hear any of the shouts as she buried her head in Harry's chest. She could feel his tears dropping on her hair.

"Dumbledore said stay..." Harry mumbled. Rose lifted her head and saw Moody trying to get Harry and Rose to follow him.

"You two need to lie down...follow me..."

Rose and Harry stumbled after the Professor, as he was holding Harry's arm and Rose was clutching Harry's middle.

"What happened?" Moody asked as he lifted the two teens up the stone steps of Hogwarts.

"Cup was a Portkey...took us to a graveyard...and Voldemort was there..." Harry mumbled.

"The Dark Lord was there? Then what happened?"

"Killed Cedric..." Rose whispered, her voice thick with tears. She wanted to sleep in her dads arms with her mum and godfather around her. She didn't want to talk about what happened.

"And then?"

"Made a potion...got his body back..."

"The Dark Lord got his body back?"

"Then the Death Eaters came...and we dueled..."

"You dueled with the Dark Lord?"

"Got away...my wand...did something funny...I saw my mum and dad...they came out of my wand..."

Rose couldn't even find the surprise in her to hear that Harry saw her parents. She had been too distracted to notice in the graveyard and she was too tired and shocked to care now.

"In here, you two...in here...here, drink this," Moody ushered them into his office and gave them cups. Rose barely noticed Moody guiding her into a chair.

"Drink it, you'll feel better...come on, I need to know exactly what happened," Moody insisted. Rose heard Harry cough beside her and then the drink was forced down her throat. It tasted peppery, but Moody's office came into sharper focus. Moody was staring at them with wide eyes and his face was white.

"Voldemort's back, Harry? How did he do it?"

Rose zoned out as Harry continued to answer the questions. Rose was focused on a foe-glass when she heard Moody's tone made her zone back in.

"How did he treat them? Did he forgive them?"

Moody sounded way too hopeful. All of Rose's hesitations towards the man filled her head suddenly. Harry, however, didn't seem to pick up on Moody's tone. Rose slowly slipped her hand towards her wand but Moody's magical eye zeroed in on her hand so she awkwardly scratched her leg instead. Moody's eye didn't move from her hand.

"There's a Death Eater at Hogwarts! I gotta tell Dumbledore!" Harry exclaimed. Rose silently cursed herself for missing so much information in the graveyard. "They put our names in the fire and made sure we got to the end!"

"I know who the Death Eater is," Moody said quietly.

"Karkaroff?" Harry asked, shocked at Moody's answer. Rose once again tried to grab her wand but Moody refused to move his magical eye from her.

"Karkaroff fled tonight when he felt the dark mark burn. He betrayed too many followers...but the Dark Lord will find him," Moody replied, a sick smile on his face. Rose sucked in a breath as she realized that only followers of Voldemort called him the Dark Lord. Moody was the Death Eater.

"Karkaroff fled? But then...then he didn't put our names in the goblet," Harry said, looking confused.

"No, he didn't. I did," Moody said quietly. Rose tensed in her seat and grabbed her wand as Moody used both eyes to look st Harry.

"It couldn't have been you," Harry argued. He looked as exhausted as Rose felt.

"I assure you it was me," Moody said with a sick smile. His magical eye went to the door and he pulled his wand on Harry.

"He forgave them, then? The Death Eaters who went free?" Moody asked again. Rose twirled her wand in her fingers.

"What?" Harry asked. Rose held back a groan at his stupidity.

"I asked you," Moody growled. "If he forgave those who didn't go to Azkaban. Those who ran off when I cast the Dark Mark into the sky at the Quidditch World Cup."

"You fired...what?" Harry gasped.

"I told you! I hate Death Eaters who walked away free more than anything! They turned their backs on him when he needed them most," a sick smile filled Moody's face. "Tell me that he tortured them...tell me that he told them that it was I who remained faithful...prepared to risk everything to give him you and the Black girl."

"How'd you do it?" Rose asked, a force to her words despite her clear exhaustion. Moody turned to her quickly.

"I put your names down together under the name of another school. I heard Dumbledore tell you about the prophecy one day so I knew you were faking your identity, but I needed to be sure. I nudged everyone I thought might hurt you away. I nudged Hagrid to show you the dragons and I nudged you in the right direction."

Moody's magical eye was now focused solely on Harry, not the door and not Harry. Rose moved her arm slowly to get in a better position to attack.

"It certainly wasn't easy, especially with Dumbledore already being suspicious. But I was able to get you two into the maze first. The second task was when I thought you would fail so I gave you the clue-"

"You didn't," Harry interrupted. "C-Cedric did."

"And I told him to open it underwater! I knew that he was too nice to not pass the information along, especially to his best friend and former crush. I gave the Longbottom boy a book with Gillyweed in it but you were too proud to ask for help. So I remembered you telling me about Dobby. I knew he was in the room so I started talking to Mcgonagall about whether you two would think to use Gillyweed and your little friend ran straight to Snape's office to steal it for you..."

Moody hadn't moved his wand from Harry's heart. Rose could feel her hand shaking. She glanced around the room for something that might help her in case she lost her wand, and she noticed shaped emerging in the foe-glass.

"You had an easy time in that maze. I stunned Fleur Delacour and then put the Imperius curse on Krum so he would finish Diggory off. Then you would have a straight shot at the cup."

Harry seemed to not be able to look away from Moody, and Rose understood why. This was Dumbledore's friend, and now a Death Eater. Rose glanced back between Harry and the rapidly approaching shapes in the foe-glass.

"The Dark Lord didn't manage to kill you, Potter, or take you, Black," Moody said, his normal eye wild. "Imagine how pleased he will be when I can deliver you two to him. I will be the closest to him...closer than a son..."

Rose moved her arm and had a clear shot on Moody, but she couldn't yet send a spell at him. His wand was still pointing at Harry and he might do something to Harry if she did.

"The Dark Lord and I have much in common...bad fathers...disappointing fathers...we both suffered from being named after such disappointments...and we both killed our fathers!" Moody explained gleefully.

"You're mad!" Harry yelled.

"Mad, am I?" Moody asked as his voice rose. "We'll see! The Dark Lord will rise and conquer all! For now, I will conquer you!"

Moody raised his wand and opened his mouth but didn't get much farther. Rose was able to stupefy him as the door was blown open and Dumbledore entered, his wand drawn. Moody was quickly wrapped in ropes as Dumbledore, Professor Mcgonagall and Professor Snape entered the room.

"Good job, Miss. Black," Dumbledore complimented. Rose shakily nodded and grabbed Harry's hand. Dumbledore and the other professors started examining Moody.

"Hey, don't do that," Harry whispered, his voice shaky.

"What?" Rose whispered back.

"...heal me," Harry said, looking unsure. Rose looked and saw that some of Harry's visible injuries were closing up. Rose quickly pulled her hand away as she swayed in her seat, exhausted.

"I...I don't know how to...not do that," Rose whispered, her voice cracking.

"Come on, to the hospital wing," Mcgonagall instructed before Harry could respond.

"No, they will stay and hear. They need to understand in order to grow," Dumbledore instructed. Mcgonagall looked upset but nodded and stood behind the two students.

"How is it Moody?" Harry asked.

"This is not Alastor Moody," Dumbledore replied. He leaned down and grabbed the hip flask and unclipped some keys from the fake Moody's body.

"Severus, please fetch me the strongest truth potion you possess and then go down to the kitchens and bring a house elf named Winky. Minerva, please go down to Hagrid's hut where you will find a black dog. Take him to my office and tell him to wait for me there," Dumbledore told the professors. They both nodded and quickly left the room.

Dumbledore turned to a trunk with several locks and stayed opening them, using the keys he had gotten earlier. He didn't stop until he got to the seventh and final lock. Harry let out a cry of amazement so Rose looked as well. The real Mad-Eye Moody was laying in the bottom of the trunk. The trunk, however, was a large room. Moody was missing his fake leg and eye and was much skinnier. He had chunks of hair missing as well.

Rose sat down in her chair again and pulled her knees to her chest. She stared at the wall until Dumbledore reappeared from where he had jumped in the trunk.

"Polyjuice Potion...brilliant. Moody is known for only drinking from his flask. This allowed the imposter to drink the potion every hour and not draw attention to it. However, we shall see...." Dumbledore explained and he sat down next to Harry. The three watched as Moody's face and body seemed to melt into a skinnier man that Harry seemed to recognize.

"Barty Crouch Jr," Harry whispered. Rose remembered Harry telling her about the memory in the Pensieve.

"Crouch!" Snape yelled. Rose turned to see him and Mcgonagall enter the room, both looking very shocked.

"Master Barty, what is you doing here?" Winky asked as she ran over from Snape's side. She started shaking the man but she flung herself on his chest when he wasn't moving.

"You is killed him! You is killed master's son!" Winky cried.

"He is simply stunned, so you need to step aside so I can wake him up," Dumbledore told the house elf. "Severus?"

Snape reached forward and gave Dumbledore a vial with a clear potion in it. Dumbledore then sat Crouch Jr. up and gave him a few drops of the potion before waking him up.

"Can you hear me?" Dumbledore asked as the man slowly opened his eyes.

"Yes," Crouch Jr. mumbled.

"How did you escape Azkaban?" Dumbledore questioned.

"My mother saved me. She was dying already so she convinced my father of a plan. They came to visit me and my mum drank Polyjuice Potion to look like me and I her," Crouch Jr. started to explain. Winky started pleading for him to be quiet but he kept talking. "I left with my dad and my mum stayed. She died in Azkaban not long after carrying my appearance."

"What did you father do to keep you hidden?" Dumbledore inquired.

"Once Winky brought me back to health, he put the Imperius curse on me...I only wanted to help my master...he wouldn't allow that. I wore an invisibility cloak all the time. I could never leave the house and Winky would make sure of that. She fed me and everything. I got treats every once in a while for good behavior," Crouch Jr. explained.

"Master Barty, please stop! Say no more!" Winky sobbed again.

"Did anyone other than the house elf know you were alive?" Dumbledore asked softly.

"Bertha Jorkins. She came to the house needing my father's signature but he wasn't home. Winky showed her inside and returned to me and Bertha heard Winky talking to me. When my father came home he put a Memory Charm on her but it was too powerful. Damaged her memory forever."

Winky was continuing to sob but nobody paid any attention to her.

"Tell me about the World Cup," Dumbledore demanded, his voice still soft.

"Winky talked my father into it," Crouch Jr. explained. "He let us go as I hadn't been out of the house in years and I love quidditch. I just had to wear my invisibility cloak. Winky and I were left in the top box and no one knew I was there. They thought Winky was just saving a seat for my father. But Winky didn't know I was getting stronger. While in the top box I was able to escape the Imperius curse. I took a wand out of a boy's pocket. Winky didn't know."

"You bad boy!" Winky cried.

"We went back to the tent," Crouch Jr. continuted. "Then we heard the Death Eaters, the ones who betrayed the Dark Lord and never went to Azkaban. My mind was clearer than it had been in years and I was angry. Winky used her magic and pulled me away from the people into the woods. I cast off the Dark Mark, wanting these who betrayed our noble cause to suffer. When the ministry workers sent off stunning spells, one of them hit me. My father knew that I would've been near Winky so he searched for me and found me and put me under the Imperius curse again. Winky was given clothes, as she had failed in her task."

"It was just father and I, alone, in the house," Crouch Jr. explained. His head fell back and a wide smile filled his face. "And then my master came back...he put father under the Imperius curse and he concocted a plan. I was to pretend to be Mad-Eye Moody and make sure that the Potter boy and Black girl were in the tournament and they made it to the cup. Wormtail was supposed to watch my father, but he failed. Master warned me and I waited, using Potter's map. I saw my father in the woods with them and I ran out. I stunned Krum and then killed my father."

Winky let out a wail of despair and Rose had to bite the inside of her cheek to stop the sobs from leaving her mouth. Mr. Crouch might have been part of the reason why she was going to have to live with Death Eaters, but he was still a person.

"I carried the body into the forest and covered it with the invisibility cloak. When everyone was gone I went back and transfigured the body into a a bone and buried it."

"And tonight?" Dumbledore said softly, as if he couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"I put the cup in the middle of the maze and turned it into a portkey. My plan worked, the Dark Lord is risen."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

162 0 33
This is a collection of Harry Potter One-shot Fanfics. I have used ChatGPT as a creative assistant in my efforts to learn more about the capabilities...
8.2K 255 15
Where Harry James Potter hopelessly pines after a girl and won't stop asking her out. When history repeats itself and a certain arrogant boy with eme...
14.8K 234 25
Alexa Lupin a mega-witch like her mother and werewolf like her father She was far stronger then any witch or wizard to have ever existed with her mot...
90.1K 1.5K 91
In which the blindness of uncertainty became clear with the love of one's heart and love did conquer all fear. "It's so clear with you. Always" ...