1928 ✓

By highfoxes

Rose Davies, a modern-day university student, finds herself trapped in the body of a 20s Lady, who had been b... More

preface
epigraph & playlist
intro: a poem
01 - leap in time
02 - odd
03 - resolute
04 - white shore
05 - distrust
06 - see again
07 - onus
08 - waver
10 - mirrors
11 - promises
12 - facades down
13 - puzzles
14 - alias
15 - veracity
16 - reminiscences
17 - suaveness
18 - daring exploit
19 - bruises
20 - resilience
21 - greens
22 - offence
23 - capture
24 - burn
25 - farewell
26 - leap in time (II)
outro: a letter

09 - turbulences

2.3K 189 99
By highfoxes

Meet Robert Winston.

Meet Thomas Lester.

———————

Do you want me to save you out of this tonight?

Esmé was at a loss for words, watching the blonde man in front of her, unable to comprehend what he was trying to do. She opened her mouth to say something but nothing came out. Her hands tightly grabbed the counter behind her back as her knees seemingly slacked under her. Was he willing to help?

A sudden grin spread on Dean's lips. He leaned back, snorting. Then he laughed. Esmé was completely bewildered.

Then it hit her.

"Why are you looking at me like you really want me to save you?" The look in his blue eyes mocked her. "You think, I care?"

He chuckled still amused, making her feel even more embarrassed as she bit the inside of her cheek hard.

"What's up, Esmé?" He hummed, "Cat's got your-"

She didn't let him finish as her hand collided with the side of his face, startling him. His head flew to the side, his eyes wide as he realized that she had just slapped him. as hard as she could.

His jaw hung open, shock written all over his features.

"You arsehole," Esmé hissed, turning on her heel to leave. This was the last thing she needed. She walked away, still unsatisfied with what she had done. He deserved more. She wanted to smash something into his pretty face - to demolish it.

She sensed him staring after her as she left. Her face felt hotter than ever from all the fury building inside her. Slamming the door behind her shut, she felt dizzy. She stopped in her track to take a deep breath.

"Esmé," She looked up to meet Jack's worried gaze, "Are you ok?"

Shaking her head slightly, Esmé had to pull herself together, "I am." She tried to lighten up, linking her arm with his - but it was more to keep her balance and steady her posture.

Jack nodded only, leading her towards the long table. Everyone was seated already, immersed in their conversations. Some watched as the pair approached the table, smiling and congratulating them again.

Esmé had plastered a smile onto her lips but mostly ignored the comments she was receiving, her mind anywhere but here. Arriving at the very end of the hall, Jack pulled her a seat, gesturing her to sit down. She thanked him in a low voice, almost inaudible, sitting right across an old man. She noticed that he looked like Jack's older version.

It was Robert Winston, Jack's father. He had the same grey-ish eyes as his son, crinkling at the corners when he smiled brightly at Esmé, quickly filling her glass.

"How are you feeling, Lady Esmé?" He asked with his head tipped to the side. He looked at her warmly as she gulped the water, wetting her dry throat.

"Excited," She brought out. It wasn't a lie. She felt agitated even, not knowing what to expect tonight.

"Do you like the dress?" She looked down her body, nodding with a small smile. Leslie had told her that the Winstons' company made it in only a day as her mother had instructed them.

"It's beautiful," She said, staring back up.

"I'm glad you like it." Robert leaned back in his seat, satisfied, "We don't usually make women's clothing. You know, we focus on uniforms. But I have recruited a small group of seamstresses for the time being. They'll do all your dresses for you." Military uniforms, Esmé wanted to add.

The Winstons worked with her father on attire for the military, mainly on the protective clothing underneath. They were a wealthy family that was well known in London. And Jack was their only son.

"Thank you," Esmé mumbled, turning her attention to Jack who had finally sat down next to her. She noticed the black-haired man next to him, who watched her intensely with a wide grin. Lots of new faces.

"Finally we get to meet," He held out his hand, reaching over Jack. She shook his hand with a questioning look when Jack chuckled.

"This is-" Jack was cut off as the man decided to introduce himself,

"Thomas Lester, my Lady," He grinned and Esmé noticed the two golden teeth shining. "I'm Jack's closest friend."

"How come he never told me about you?"

"I don't know," Thomas hit the back of Jack's head playfully, snickering, "Maybe he was scared that I'd steal you away." He winked at Esmé.

"Nonsense, I was always the more charming one," Jack said defensively, staring intensely at Esmé. He was the more handsome one that was for sure. She smiled at him, watching him ease.

"No, mate." Thomas sighed, "You're the nice one out of us. But ladies don't like nice guys. They often fall for the other one." He smirked, his eyes never leaving Esmé, waiting for her reaction, "But she's different. The first one to appreciate your kind nature."

She chuckled, seeing Jack's cheeks turn a slight pink. He didn't seem like the man to be easily flustered.

Esmé didn't know what to think of Jack's friend yet but Thomas' presence was enjoyable, he wound up the tension in the air. He asked one of the waiters for some champagne. They clinked their glasses and Esmé tried to loosen up. But her eyes searched for Leslie or Charlotte. Having them around gave her some sort of comfort. She spotted Leslie standing in front of the door to the kitchen with her mother. Charlotte was next to them.

"Can I get everyone's attention, please?" Esmé turned her head to the voice. It was Mr Schubert with his thick German accent. He tapped against the glass in his hands and waited for the people to fall in silence. He gestured to Alder Benson for everyone to listen.

Esmé's father nodded at her with a smile tucking at the corners' of his lips. But she tried to avoid his gaze, not wanting to get provoked by him. If this had happened in her world, she would have strutted out already.

Robert Winston had stood up, walking next to her father to shake hands with him - both more satisfied than ever.

"Welcome everyone," Her father began, "I'm happy to see you here tonight and to share this great news with you. Thank you for coming here to celebrate the engagement of Jack Winston and my beautiful Esmeralda Rosé Benson. Special thanks to Sir Colonel Benedict White for taking your time and being here," Esmé's thoughts drifted away as Alder continued to thank each member of the military that was present as the lieutenant colonel he was.

She felt how Jack's hands traced her hers under the table, engulfing it as he gleamed at her with a bright smile. She bit the inside of her cheek, hoping her misery didn't show on her face. She tightened the hold, trying to play along as she remembered Dean's words. You should at least try to act. 

Thinking of devil, she spotted him standing near Leslie - his eyes fixed on her father, clueless to Esmé watching him. His head rested against the wall, his expression unreadable.

"I want us all to enjoy tonight to its fullest. Here's to you, my princess," Esmé's eyes locked with her father's sincere ones again. She smiled slightly, trying not to break his stare, "who doubles my joys." He raised his glass, the guests following his gestures with calls of glee. 

"A toast to love and laughter and happily ever after."

With that the jazz band behind him started to play, receiving cheerful shouts. Waiters walked around the large tables, distributing the menu. It didn't take long until everyone fell into their own small talks, eating and drinking. Just enjoying themselves.

Esmé remained still, observing and trying not to drown in her woefulness. Some guests came to her, chatting, congratulating her again and again. She was about to jump and throw a buck but she kept her facade up. 

She was surprised when Jack stood up with shining eyes. She watched his every move, wondering what crossed his mind. Then he grabbed Esmé's hand in his, pulling her from her seat. Her pupils grew wide when he began dragging her towards the dancing crowd of people.

"I-I ca-," She stuttered, bewildered when he ignored her. Jack drew her closer, his hand around her waist, completely taking her off-guard. "I really can't dance," She finally managed to put out. That was the truth. She had two left feet.

"I'll guide you."

Esmé bit down on her lip, nervous as his face was mere inches away from hers. This wouldn't end well. She felt her cheeks heat up when he started to sway them with the rhythm. A jazzy piece had played moments ago. How come they had switched to something slow this quick? Esmé avoided Jack's eyes as he moved closer to her - if that was even possible.

"Loosen up." His hand travelled up to lift her chin. "We'll take slow steps." His words caused her heart to ache. "I won't do anything you don't want to." Her eyes met his.

"I promise," He assured her, making her smile lightly in response.

"Thank you," Esmé hummed and they fell into silence again. Slowly, they swung to the music.

"Do you remember what you told me when we were little?" She noticed the sorrow in his voice, tilting her head to the side. Esmé knew nothing of what he had done with the old Esmé.

When Jack noticed that she wouldn't answer, he continued, "I told you, I liked you." His cheeks flared up, a shy smile on his lips. "And you didn't even bother. Just like right now."

"What did I tell you then?"

"You said, you wouldn't like me back." He glanced at her, hoping for a sign but Esmé wouldn't give him any - no matter how much sympathy she felt for him. "Not in a hundred years, you said."

Esmé exhaled deeply before snickering. Jack continued to talk as if trying to clear his mind,

"I know that you don't love me, Esmé." He closed his eyes, his movements slowing down. "I know you never did. You marry me because your father told you to. I believed that I had found a way to make you accept me during the last months. You were nice to me and that day - when you kissed me-" He stopped, sighing.

Esmé bit down on her lower lip. She had no idea how intimate he had been with her.

"I thought, I had you. I thought that you started to like me but then-" His dark eyes locked on hers. "We met again and you were completely different - as if you're a completely new person. When you told me that you want to postpone the engagement, everything came down crashing on me."

Esmé sensed how her facade faltered, commiserating with him. He was a poor lover.

"I don't know what I did wrong for you to-"

"Nothing," She cut him off, unable to listen to him any further. "You did nothing wrong, Jack. You're a gentle, handsome man." His face lit up, "But unfortunate events happened and-"

"Why don't you talk to me about it."

"Because I don't want to." She hated herself for being harsh on him as she saw hurt flash through his eyes. He fell into abrupt silence. And she knew that this topic had ended here.

As the tension between them grew, Esmé began feeling uncomfortable - trying to think of something to say. And no matter how awkward everything was, she didn't hesitate to ask - there was still so much she had to learn, "Do you work for your father's company?"

Jack seemed to be surprised by her question. And pissed at the same time - pissed that she acted as if the previous conversation didn't happen. Also, probably wondering how she forgot the answer to that simple question. Hell, Esmé didn't even know how old he was. She knew nothing. But asking his age would throw him off.

"Yes," He said, chuckling, "But I'm looking into something new. There is something else I want to do other than just run a textile company. Thomas Lester is going to help me with that."

Now, this caught her attention, "And what is that?"

"I'll tell you another time. Haven't decided yet. There is a lot on my mind lately." Esmé nodded only.

"What's Thomas' work like?"

Jack exhaled slowly as he seemingly fell in deep thought, "Well, he's trying to help me persevere against your father."

Esmé couldn't help but snicker, "That's his job?"

"Yes," Jack's eyes flickered with excitement, his mood unexpectedly changing, "He helps a lot of people remain strong against Alder Benson." What was that supposed to mean?

Esmé studied his face carefully. His words could imply anything. She hadn't thought of Jack as someone she had to hold a guard up against - until now that is.

"Why?" She hummed, "What does he do that I don't know about?"

"He's corrupted-"

"You didn't look out for me the whole night." 

That was Wyatt. 

Not now. He came rushing, cutting Jack off. Esmé groaned loudly.

"Wyatt, we-" Esmé wanted Jack to finish but her brother wouldn't let go, rambling something Esmé couldn't comprehend. His timing was undeniably fitting. 

Then Thomas Lester called for Jack, too. Esmé felt the blood in her veins boil, trying hard not to collide his head with Wyatt's.

"Mate," He grabbed his friend's arm, pulling him away from Esmé, leaving her hanging, "Sorry, my lady but I need to show him something real quick." He smirked at her as Jack threw an apologizing look. They left and Esmé watched after them with parted lips. She'd get answers out of Jack soon. But tonight wasn't the right time to talk about that in any case. She turned around, staring at her brother with frustration lingering in her traits.

"What?" Wyatt shrugged.

"You couldn't have waited a minute, no?"

"Did I interrupt some philander?"

Esmé snorted, wanting to brush off his grin. 

"Where is your friend?" Wyatt asked, a strange gleam in his eyes as if he knew something his sister didn't.

"What friend?" She faced him fully. He snickered, wiggling his eyebrows, confusing her even more.

"The one you had brought home last time." He whispered, nudging her arm and gaining a groan from her.

"I didn't bring anyone home."

"He risked his life and sneaked here from the forest. You were lucky father wasn't home or else-" Esmé hit his chest, cutting him off.

"Sshh!" She hushed, "Someone will hear you."

"You should have told him that you're taken." Wyatt smirked, "And you should have invited him here." His remarks were annoying her. The thing was - Esmé hadn't heard of William ever since they had met in the forest.

"What was his name again?" Wyatt continued to babble but Esmé couldn't follow his words, noticing a sudden change in the atmosphere in the crowd. 

The band had stopped playing. She examined the guests, seeing how some of them muttered under their breath with analyzing eyes directed to-

She followed their gaze. Her father.

He was outraged, to say the least - with his face utterly red, his hands balled into tight fists as he listened to what Thomas told him with two guards waiting behind him. The same two guards that had come, interrupting their breakfast a few days ago. They wore the exact attire, having serious looks on their faces.

Something was rum. A qualmish feeling built in Esmé's chest as she watched her father order something to the guards. They rushed outside.

Alder Benson pinched the bridge of his nose, his eyes meeting his daughter's. She was frozen on her spot, worrying about what could have happened. Wyatt had stopped talking. He had sensed the sudden peculiarity, too.

"What's happening?" His question hung in the air as the Kents and Mr Schubert wandered through the crowds, explaining to the guests that the night was over.

"I-" Esmé was lost.

"Lady Esmé," She whirled around to look for the owner of the voice - Thomas. "You should go up to your room."

"What is going on?"

"There is some turmoil going in the vicinity. Your father needs to take action before it escalates further."

Esmé felt dazed. "Is this a doing by the Walker Twins?"

Her question caught Thomas by surprise. Did he look flouted even? "No," He scoffed. "The Camden Boys."

Esmé remembered, hearing their name but she didn't urge it. A deep breath escaped her, "Where is Jack?"

"He left with your father." She studied Thomas warily. His face was sincere but his eyes were deceiving - she didn't believe him. Not after what Jack had said.

"Don't pull him into something dangerous." A smirk spread on his lips, irritating her furthermore.

He raised both eyebrows upon listening to her words. He leaned down, his voice low, only for her to hear, "He's isn't doing anything he doesn't want to."

With that, he stepped back, throwing her another wink to provoke her. Esmé crossed her arms, feeling distressed.

Wyatt had watched their conversation silently from the side, not having any comment to make. He coughed to gather Esmé's attention after Thomas had left. Grabbing his sister by her arm, he pulled at her.

"Let's go." He sighed, "Seems like the party's over." It wasn't the party she cared about. She was eager to know what had happened for this to be cancelled. And she had this strong feeling that someone, who had been present tonight, was to blame.

Esmé descried her mother next to Leslie, having a whinge - who she hadn't seen all night. Most of the guests had left. It was complete chaos. She could imagine how hard this must be on her mother. She had been preparing for this for days. Now it went downhill.

Leslie's eyes met hers with a look of sympathy in them. She mouthed a small 'sorry' and Esmé could only smile warmly to reassure her.

Then she hurried, following Wyatt outside. They stepped out the dining hall to now walk into Charlotte who glimpsed at her with a worried look. 

"This is stupid." She noted, "I'm sorry this happened."

"No, it's-" She stopped when her eyes narrowed on Dean standing behind Charlotte with his hands deep in his pockets. He had been observant the whole event and she wanted to ask him so many questions - about what he had seen tonight. Somehow she knew that he had all the answers. But he would never tell her. Dean was more than what caught the eye.

"We should go now," Charlotte said, waving a quick goodbye as she turned around to leave. Wyatt had left to the stairs, too, waiting for his sister but she was glued to her spot.

Dean stepped closer, musing, "I told you."

"What?" She played incurious.

"That I'd save you tonight."

Esmé glanced up into his blue eyes. Was this his doing? This made no sense.

"If you liked me that much, you could have just told me so."

"Let's just say," He chuckled. "I don't like things going Alder Benson's way. Not meant to flutter you."

"Are you behind all this?"

"No," He exhaled deeply. "I wish I was. But I guess somebody did both of us a favour." This wasn't how Esmé wanted the night to end. She didn't ask for anyone to get hurt.

Dean swung around on his heel, leaving as he put one arm around Charlotte and lifted the other to wave at Esmé - who closed her eyes to calm down. She heard Wyatt's confused mumble, "That was intense." It was.

Esmé wanted to sleep.

And wake up back at home. Happily ever after, my foot.

———————

A/N: Hey loves, I hope you enjoyed the update!

Any ideas on who's hiding what secret? Or any thoughts on their possible motives? I enjoy writing complex plots x) but tell me if it's confusing or too much! I have all the revelations planned out. We'll progress slowly but it'll be worth it!

Don't forget to click the star if you liked it and tell me your opinions in the comments. I appreciate it! Thank you for reading. Take care and lots of love.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37K 3.3K 64
Welcome to the future, where humans no longer exist - or so the monsters want you to believe. Dawn, one of the last of her kind, is tasked every mont...
The Painting By Col

Mystery / Thriller

133K 8.7K 94
"It took me five seconds to fall. The impact on my chest jarring my body but not my mind. I suppose this is the point where your life is supposed to...
1.7M 69.2K 29
After a disastrous first season in London, Rose Wilde finds herself torn between two men who love her -- but who both hide secrets that could ruin he...
Together We Fall By anongrl

Mystery / Thriller

82 32 5
Eliana, an investigative journalist, finds herself face to face with a man that she grew up with. A man she trusted. As Jonas Lee starts to rattle of...