Saving Melanie Deen

By ali_cher

"That's the funny thing, though. Loving me is a death sentence, isn't it?" *** Melanie Deen's world consisted... More

CHARACTERS
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56

Chapter 39

192 9 4
By ali_cher

The night slowly came to an end, with the last customers stumbling out of the bar in a drunken state. I scoffed, noticing the snobby woman still sitting in her booth. What is her deal? 

"Tell her we're closing" Meg muttered as she walked passed me. It had been a weird shift, that's for sure. The entire night, Meg did everything she could to avoid me. I just couldn't understand, what for? She walked in on Ethan almost kissing me. What was so wrong with that? I groaned at my inner dilemmas, setting my glass of water down on the counter.

Without further hesitation, I strolled right up to the booth where the woman sat."Ma'am, I'm sorry but we're closing in a few minutes" I pursed my lips, noticing her untouched drink. Why the hell did she order it, if she didn't want it?

She looked up at me, still sending out a stuck-up vibe."Darling, do you mind telling me what your name is?" She spoke calmly, thinking deeply about something. I raised my eyebrows at her. My name?  Why the hell did she need my name? 

"Quinn" I blurted out, saying the first name that came to mind.

She was clearly confused, with her eyebrows furrowed and her eyes squinted."Hmm..." She scanned me from head to toe."Interesting" She sighed, picking up her purse as she muttered something more under her breath. I watched her take out a $100 dollar bill.

"Ma'am, you already paid for your order" I informed her.

"I know," She nodded as she slid the money across the table. "Call it a tip?" She smiled for the first time tonight. I frowned at her, unsure of what to do. With that, she gracefully stood up and walked out of the bar.

What the hell...

***

"Vicki, please listen to me!" The woman begged, glancing at me occasionally. I stood by the door, watching my mom argue with the stranger."The child did nothing wrong, think about that for a second! Do you want her to have the same life as you? Do you?!" The woman shouted in my mom's face. Mom shoved the woman away, shaking her head violently. I cowered away, afraid of what would happen next.

"Get out of here, Julia. I mean it...just get out of here!" My mom shrieked. Her entire body was shaking and I knew what she needed to feel better. Her medicineI ran into the kitchen, standing up on my tiptoes by the kitchen counter.

As soon as my fingertips touched a familiar bag, I grabbed it and ran back to the living room."Here you go, Mommy! I got you your medicine!" I gushed, placing the small clear bag in the palm of her hand.

"Jesus Christ!" The woman gasped, holding a hand up to her mouth.

"What?" Mom scoffed at her as she took the small bag from my hand and then shoved me away."Did you come here to act all righteous? Did you forget where you came from?"

"Vicki," The woman shook her head, frowning at me as she spoke to my mom."A 5-year-old child shouldn't be in this environment, can't you see that? She's running off to bring you drugs, because she thinks it's your medicine, for crying out loud!"

"That's none of your business!" Mom opened the tiny bag and spilled its contents onto the coffee table. I stood there, looking down at her.

"Vicki, please. Let me take her with me!" The woman begged, sitting down on the couch beside her."You never wanted her. She'll disappear from your life...like you've always wanted!"

My mother slammed her fist on the coffee table, making me jump with fear."I will never throw my kid away like my parents threw me away! And I definitely won't give her to you, of all people" She snapped.

The woman sighed, closing her eyes as my mom took her medicine. I stood by mom's side, petting her back as she threw her head back.

"If there's nothing else I can do..." The woman muttered, standing up and giving us one last glance."Then I'll be in my way"

"Good riddance!" Mom laughed, leaning back into the couch.

"Can you at least open the door for me?" The woman raised an eyebrow.

"Mel will do that just fine!" Mom shoved me towards the woman. I stumbled a little, almost tripping over my feet.

I followed the woman into the corridor and right up to the front door."Come here, Melanie" The woman whispered as she leaned down. I reluctantly came up to her, rubbing my elbow."Do you want to come with me?" She asked, her eyes filling with tears.

I looked behind me, towards the living room door."No! Mommy will be all alone if I go away" I explained. She looked away for a second, biting her lip as a quiet sob escaped her throat.

"That's alright" She nodded, plastering a tight smile on her face. I frowned before doing the one thing I thought would make her feel better. I hugged her.

She wrapped her arms around me, whispering something repeatedly."What are you saying?" I asked curiously.

She pulled back, her smile not reaching her eyes."A little prayer, to keep you safe" She poked my nose playfullyI giggled, swatting her hand away.

"What's taking so long?" My mom's voice shook me back to reality.

"I was just saying goodbye, Vicki" The woman sighed, shaking her head. Mom grunted something in response and I frowned. Why was mommy so mean to this lady?

"Okay, Melanie" The woman patted me on my back."I'm going to go now" She frowned.

I opened the door for her and kept it open as I watched her walk down the driveway and into a shiny black car. She waved goodbye and I felt sad."What's with the tears, kid?" Mom stood over me, slamming the door shut."Go to your room, now!" She shouted in my face and I jumped.

With that, I turned around and quickly scampered up the squeaky stairs.

My eyes shot open, a cold sweat droplet rolling down my forehead. That woman from the bar... She was the woman in my dream. But how did she know my mother? Where did she want to take me? Who even is she?

Shakin the thoughts out of my head, I looked up at the clock. Thank God it's a Saturday...

A sudden buzzing sound brought me back to my senses. I stretched across the bed to grab my phone from the nightstand. There was one new message from Ethan.

"Another nightmare?"

I smiled down at the phone screen, butterflies appearing in the pit of my stomach again. Seriously, what was the matter with me?

"Not quite" - I replied, sighing as I pressed 'send'. That dream was far too realistic. I couldn't help but feel like it actually happened. But if it did, why was I only remembering it now? Why had I not remembered it before? No, surely it was just a dream.

The door to my bedroom squeaked open and I quickly pulled the covers over my body."Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you" Ethan chuckled, entering my room.

"It's okay" I smiled up at him. The light coming from my window lit his features up in a warm hue. He looked tired."What's up?" I asked, patting the bed for him to sit down.

"I couldn't fall asleep all night" He explained, laying down on his back."And I heard you wake up so I figured you had another nightmare" He spoke, staring at the ceiling.

I turned to lay on my back as well."Not this time..." I sighed, looking up at the ceiling just like he was doing. As strange as it sounds, I keep forgetting that I live in his house.

"Do you get them often?" He asked.

"Every night" I sighed.

Comfortable silence filled the room for a short while. It wasn't awkward. It wasn't overwhelming. It was comfortable. I felt like we could stay like this forever...just laying there in silence. I felt at home, with him by my side. Call it what you will, but I had grown close to him.

"I want to sell the house" He blurted out. I perked up, waving off my previous thoughts.

"Oh...why do you want to do that?" I asked softly.

He hesitated for a second before turning onto his side to look at me. I turned my head, giving him an encouraging smile.

"My savings will probably run out in about a month...and I don't have my previous income anymore" He started, keeping his eyes on mine."So I think I'm just going to sell this house, buy a cheap apartment or something...and get another job, other than the bar. I'll have a lot of money left from selling the house, but I need most of that for..." He trailed off, unable to voice the truth.

"For your mom" I finished the thought for him. I vividly remember the day I learned the truth about his mother. We were at the support group and I got the note with 'my mom has cancer' written on it. The answer was written on his face. I knew it was his note.

"Yeah" He nodded, an unreadable expression in his eyes."Let's not talk about that..."

"Okay...then what do you want to talk about?" I cleared my throat, remembering the moment we shared at the bar. Talk about awkward... 

"Did Meg avoid you all night?" He asked, letting out a chuckle.

"Oh, she did alright" I nodded, groaning at the thought. I hated misunderstandings between Meg and I. "Why do you ask?" 

He turned onto his back again, sighing."She avoided me too"

"She's just worried about me, I think" I shrugged, still watching him."Don't take it personally..."

He shook his head, disagreeing with me."Nah, I think she doesn't want me messing with you. She took your disappearance badly. I think she blames me for all of it" He muttered.

I stayed quiet for a while, thinking of something to say to him.

"You don't have to say anything" He sighed, sitting up."I know it's all my fault" 

"No, Eth-"

Without letting me finish, he got up off my bed and walked out of the room. I gaped at the door, dumbfounded. What just happened?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10M 516K 43
|| Featured FREE story with exclusive paid chapters - previously a paid story || When Haley discovers the truth behind Xavier, whose silence holds a...
648K 21.7K 53
"Do they not say that a good friendship builds on a ground of lies?" I joke, lightening the mood immediately as his green eyes glint in humor and a s...
4.2K 263 46
Killian had been away in California for two long years, but now he was back in his hometown of Nevada. His best friend Bree was about to start her...
5.1K 181 66
Seventeen-year-old Rylee Evans just moved back to her hometown of Charlottesville, VA, with her dad and sister after being gone for three years. She'...