Here We Are

By universebunny

"We don't need things like memories" ~~~~~ Being one of Inarizaki's Volleyball managers is tough, the countle... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Routines
Chapter 2: I'll work hard!
Chapter 3: Foxes
Chapter 4: You haven't changed
Chapter 5: Inarizaki VS Shiratorizawa
Chapter 6: Inarizaki VS Shiratorizawa Part 2
Chapter 7: Code Blue
Chapter 8: Tokyo Teams
Chapter 9: Sakusa Kiyoomi
Chapter 10: Itachiyama Volleyball Club
Chapter 11: Tomorrow
Chapter 12: Seize Your Moment
Chapter 13: Behold Today's Champions
Chapter 14: Winners and Losers
Chapter 16: Second-Year Shenanigans
Chapter 17: In Due Time
Chapter 18: And So It Begins.
Chapter 19: Reprise
Chapter 20: Turn it Around
Chapter 21: Intense Force
Chapter 22: The struggles of the weak-willed
Chapter 23: The 'Talented'
Chapter 24: Rivals
Chapter 25: Simple, Pure Strength
Chapter 26: Until We Meet Again
Chapter 27: Consequences
Chapter 28: Atsumu and Y/N
Chapter 29: Through the Time
Chapter 30: Rerun
Chapter 31: Love/Expectations
Chapter 32: Where Monsters Go
Chapter 33: Care
Chapter 34: Not Alone
Chapter 35: It'll soon be Spring
Chapter 36: Solitude
Chapter 37 - Finally Here; The Starting Point
Chapter 38: Challengers
Chapter 39: This is War
Chapter 40: Monster's Banquet
Chapter 41: Captain
Chapter 42: The Promised Place
Chapter 43: The Day of Change
Chapter 44: Those Who Have Lost
Chapter 45: Solace
Chapter 46: Our Spring Comes To An End
Chapter 47: Love
Chapter 48: Thank you, goodbye.
Chapter 49: Endings and Beginnings
Chapter 50: Rebirth
Chapter 51: Room to Grow
Chapter 52: Change
Chapter 53: Synergy
Chapter 54: Let The Games Begin
Chapter 55: Awkward
Chapter 56: Pushing Forward
Chapter 57: The Bonds We Make
Chapter 58: Preparations
Chapter 59: One Step Forward

Chapter 15: Summer

10K 454 295
By universebunny

It's officially Summer holidays. Y/N has the weekend off before going on a Summer Training Camp with the rest of the Inarizaki team in Kyushu, and straight after that, it's Interhigh.

Scowling at her phone, Y/N pouts as she looks through the pictures Atsumu's sending her, hugging her pillow tightly to try placate her jealousy.

The four bastards are hanging out without her.

It's not their fault since they did invite her, but being mad at them is strangely therapeutic. She keeps pouting as she angrily scrolls through the endless picture's he's sending to the group chat. They're at the arcade.

Suna, thinking he's hilarious, keeps editing the pictures by drawing on stick figures, circling them and writing 'This could be you but you playing'.

"Y/N? Don't you wanna spend time with your family?" Her mother asks as she enters her room, eyeing her self-drawn posters in distaste.

"Uh, yeah..." She mumbles, stuffing her phone in her pocket as she shuffles out. The constant vibrating annoys her but at the same time, it's strangely comforting.

Buzz. Buzz.

Nah it's annoying, she quickly takes it back out and mutes it. She can check her messages later.

Looking around the room, Y/N finds her father and sister reading as they sit at the table, her brothers are nowhere in sight.

"Um... where are they boys?"

"Hm? They're both at their friend's houses, they'll come home later." Her mother answers, taking a seat at the table as she checks her phone.

"Oh... Then, why can't I go out with my friends?"

Her father rolls his eyes as he puts his papers down. "What? Do you not want to spend time with your family? You're gonna spend the next two weeks with your friends anyway, for camp and the competition, right? So I don't know why you're complainin'."

"Was just askin'..." She mumbles, sitting down at the table. At least she'll be free in two days.

~  ~  ~  ~  ~

"N/N... is that you...? It's been years...!"

"Atsumu, it's been two days."

"It's been too long...!" Atsumu and Suna stagger towards her like grandmas, shakily pulling her into a long and awkward hug as they pat her back solemnly. "Look at you... you've grown...!"

Rolling her eyes, Y/N pushes them away and glares at them. "You guys are so weird. Y'don't needa rub it in my face that I-"

Y/N's quickly cut off when one of them shoves something red and fluffy in her face, quickly grabbing it, she looks down at it. They got her a fox plushie.

"We won it at the arcade, thought you might want it." Ginjima explains, smiling as they watch her squish it a few times.

"...Thanks guys."

"We will be landing in Miyazaki Airport shortly, please ensure that your seat belt is securely fastened as we begin our descent."

Y/N continues hugging her fox plushie tightly as she turns over to look at Atsumu, who's sleeping beside her. She rolls her eyes as she nudges him awake.

"If you're gonna fall asleep, then what's the point of havin' the window seat?"

He slowly opens one eye as he looks at her. "Havin' the things people want is- aCK! Okay I'm awake! Stop hittin' me!"

"Yer disturbin' the passengers, 'Tsumu." Osamu mutters, kicking the back of his chair.

"Oi stop fightin'!" Ginjima hisses, glancing at Kita to make sure he's not watching them. Thankfully, he isn't.

"Just a regular, peaceful day." Suna mumbles, they're finally in the Miyazaki prefecture, Kyushu. He sighs to himself, mentally preparing himself for the week's long and gruelling training.

"It's so hottt." Y/N whines flopping onto Atsumu's bed as the boys continue unpacking their things. Osamu won the top bunk again.

"I get it." Atsumu sighs. "It's always hot when I'm 'round."

"..."

Everyone ignores him as they continue doing whatever they're doing, making him pout. Just as he's about the complain, Kagawa knocks on the door and comes in.

"L/N-chan? Don'tcha needa unpack too?"

"Oh yeah..." Y/N mutters, grabbing Atsumu's pillow as she rolls off his bed and starts to leave.

"Oi, that's mine-!"

Y/N smacks the pillow on his face as she quickly leaves. "That was Osamu!" She calls as she skips over to her room, smiling innocently as Kagawa sighs and facepalms at her antics. Kagawa's going to have to deal with this for the whole week.

Unpacking her art supplies, Y/N smiles as she freely sets them down on her bed, it'll be terrible for her posture, but she doesn't want to hog the table.

"Have you ever been to Kyushu, Chika-chan?" Kagawa asks, smiling as she turns to the first year.

"Yes, I have! I haven't been to the Miyazaki prefecture though, so this is a first!" She cheerfully exclaims, taking out some sketch books and laying them down on her bed.

"Oh? Inoue-chan, I didn't know you drew." Y/N says.

"Hm? Oh yeah I do! I must've forgotten to tell you, L/N-senpai!"

"Ah, yeah..."

Kagawa smiles as she sits down on her bed. "Chika-chan draws a lot in her free time, probably not as seriously as you, but she sure does draw a lot."

"Eh? L/N-senpai draws too?" Inoue asks, eyes sparkling in excitement. "That's so cool! I had no idea!"

"Haha~ Yeah, L/N-chan tends to keep to herself, she's not really the kind to open up and share."

"I guess that's true..." Y/N mumbles sheepishly, crawling into her bed so she can do her own thing. It never really dawned on her just how little she knew about Kagawa and Inoue, it's probably her fault for constantly disappearing during any kind of social interaction though. But since when did they get close enough for Kagawa to call Inoue by her first name?

The other two managers continue to chat and joke with each other while Y/N keeps her head down and continues doing her own thing. She doesn't notice Kagawa glance at her every now and then, wanting to include her.

But despite spending so much time together, Y/N and Kagawa aren't close.

~  ~  ~  ~  ~

"WHO DREW A MOUSTACHE ON MY FACE?!"

Atsumu's early morning screeches startle Y/N awake as she groans. It's way too early for this. Rubbing her eyes as she looks around the room, it seems like Kagawa and Inoue are already awake, currently in the midst of preparing for the day. Y/N rolls onto her side and closes her eyes again, but her sleep is rudely interrupted once again.

"I KNOW IT'S ONE OF YOU! WHO WAS IT?! WAS IT YOU 'SAMU!??!"

A series of loud crashes and bangs are heard, making Inoue jump in fear as the twins fight in their room next door.

"Can you two shut up? Some people are trying to sleep."

"WAS IT YOU SUNA??"

"I said, shut the F*CK UP-!"

"Oh sh*t." Kagawa mumbles, sighing as she facepalms. She pats Inoue's shoulder encouragingly as more crashes are heard from their room. "Just ignore that, Chika-chan, that's just L/N-chan's personal early mornin' wake up call."

Rolling her eyes, Y/N turns to Kagawa as she pouts. "As if this commotion is enough to make me get outta bed-"

"N/N!" Atsumu slams open the door as he barges in. "WAS IT- Oh oops."

Y/N angrily throws her fox plushie at his head as she glares at him. "You better have a good reason for wakin' me up, peasant."

Sheepishly cradling the plushie in his arms as he rocks from side-to-side, Atsumu does his best to smile innocently. "Someone drew a moustache on my face... I just wanna know who it was..."

"Oh really? Your face looks the same though."

Kagawa snorts as Atsumu gasps dramatically. "How couldja N/N?? After everythin' we've been through??"

"After everythin' we've been through, you should be glad that I haven't murdered you yet. Now get out so I can get ready."

"So, you found the culprit yet?" Y/N asks casually as she sits in front of Atsumu, putting her tray of food down on the table as she starts eating.

"Argh... Nope, no one's ownin' up to it." He groans, chewing his rice angrily as he scowls at the table.

"Figures, no one's gonna snitch on their own crime, Atsumu." Ginjima sighs as he sits down next to him, Suna and Osamu also take a seat at the table, purposely sitting as far away from Atsumu as possible. They're still mad at him for waking them up.

"Well, just be glad it's not permanent. I would have definitely used permanent marker if I did it." Y/N says, shrugging in disinterest as she keeps eating.

"Argh that's the thing... You, 'Samu and Suna would have definitely used permanent marker, plus you three were still sleepin' at the time. Gin's wayyy too responsible to even think of such a prank so that leaves him out too..."

'Is he though?' Y/N mentally deadpans, side eyeing Ginjima as he subtly smirks. 'Should've known...'

"So it was probably someone else?" Y/N asks.

"Yeah exactly... I don't know who though..."

"Hmm..." She thinks, glancing around the room to access the possible suspects. In all honesty, with a team filled with foxes, the culprit could literally be anyone.

"Aren'tcha tired of this, Atsumu?" Ginjima sweat drops. "You already washed it off anyway, does it matter?"

"I know right?" Y/N mumbles. "They were even nice enough to draw it in your natural hair colour, instead of that disgustin' dirt yellow on your head."

Atsumu gasps as he quickly runs his hands through his hair. "You think it's disgustin'??"

"Yes." Everyone at the table deadpans, even Osamu and Suna as they stare at him, dead eyes boring into his soul.

He gasps dramatically once again, quickly grabbing Kagawa's arm as she walks past. "Ginko-chan! D'ya think my hair's disgustin'??"

Raising her eyebrow at him, Kagawa stares at his hair for a few moments. "...D'ya want the truth or d'ya wanna feel better?"

"..." Atsumu narrows his eyes at her as he lets go over her arm. "...Was it you? Were you the one that drew that moustache on my face?"

They all groan as they facepalm, why can't he just get over it?

"Believe me, Atsumu-kun, I would've drawn more than a moustache. Probably would've given you eyeliner to match Suna-kun's." Kagawa drones in a monotone. "Now please excuse me, I'm hungry and I need to eat before I do somethin' I'll regret."

"Argh!" Atsumu groans, banging his head on the table for dramatic effect as he continues sulking. Exchanging eye contact with Ginjima, Y/N kicks Atsumu's feet from under the table, making him scowl as he looks up. "What??"

"Why don'tcha just get over it? Or are you gonna sulk all through practise today?"

"I don't sulk." He pouts. "And even if I did, why d'ya want me to get over it so badly, hm? D'ya know who it was? You just hidin' 'em from me?"

"Yep."

"What? Who??" Atsumu questions, eyes burning with intensity that's usually reserved for volleyball.

"Kita-senpai." She answers with a completely straight face, ignoring the boys around her as they snort. Atsumu looks completely unimpressed.

"Very funny. Who was it really?"

"You don't believe me? Can you prove it wasn't Kita-senpai?" She fires back, still maintaining a neutral face.

"...I mean... not really-"

"Why don'tcha ask him then?" She asks, smiling innocently. "Just ask him and you can prove it wasn't him."

"...Y'know what? Forget it." Atsumu mutters, sulking as he turns back to his breakfast. Y/N quietly high fives Ginjima from under the table.

~  ~  ~  ~  ~

Suna mutters a thanks as Y/N hands him his towel, wiping his sweat off as they watch Atsumu continue to practise his float serves. Doesn't he ever get tired from practising?

"I swear, that boy's gonna get sick or injured one day." Y/N deadpans, sighing in defeat. Usually she'd be the one in charge of forcing him to take a break, but she thinks the extra practise for today wouldn't hurt.

"Couldn't be me." Suna mutters, turning away to check his phone.

Atsumu groans as Akagi successfully gets it back up. Running his hands through his hair in exasperation.

"It's gettin' better!" Akagi encourages, giving him thumbs up. "You just needa work on the angle and aim, but that one was definitely harder to get than the last one!"

Atsumu nods as he takes a deep breath, sending another float serve his way.

"'Tsumu's really workin' hard." Osamu mutters, walking up towards Y/N as she continues watching his practise.

"I know right, aren't you gonna practise your serves too? You're usually competin' with Atsumu on this kinda thing."

Osamu just shrugs as they continue watching. "Guess the flame just burns a bit brighter in him than in me, y'know?"

"...I guess that's true." Y/N mutters, looking at him curiously.

"Dude take a break, if not for your sake, then do it for Akagi-senpai." Y/N mutters, throwing a towel at Atsumu's face, heading over to Akagi and handing him a towel as well.

"Argh! But I needa get my float serves better before next week!" He whines childishly. "I wanna show those Tokyo jerks-!"

"What an honourable reason." Y/N drones sarcastically, walking back over to him and slapping a water bottle on his face. "Now take a break before Kita-senpai comes and scolds you."

"Whatever..." He mutters, chugging his water as he walks off the court. Y/N rolls her eyes as she follows him outside.

"Are you upset or something?" She asks, sitting down next to him on the grass.

"...No."

"I'm thoroughly convinced." She mutters sarcastically, moving slightly over to sit in the shade, not wanting to be directly under the Summer sun.

"I'm serious, N/N, I ain't upset." He rolls his eyes. "Just frustrated 'coz they ain't perfect yet."

"But you're gettin' there, so it's gonna be all good. I bet you're gonna win Best Server at Interhigh."

"Duh, who else?"

"...You're also gonna win the Biggest Jerk award." She mutters, nudging him slightly with her foot.

"A win is a win~!" He chimes, smiling carefreely as he starts humming to himself. "By the way, aren'tcha meant to be helpin' Ginko-chan and Chika-chan prepare for lunch?"

"...I cannot hear."

"Oi! Go help 'em!"

"I cannot hear."

"L/N-CHAN?! ARE YOU GONNA HELP US OR NOT??"

"I'm comin'!"

"You're so responsible." Atsumu mutters sarcastically.

"Double check your food when you eat, it would be an absolute shame if it were poisoned~!"

~  ~  ~  ~  ~

Y/N hurriedly slips her sneakers on as she runs out the door, not wanting to keep Kagawa and Inoue waiting too long.

"Sorry I took so long! I'm here now!"

"Haha it's fine, you didn't needa run y'know." Kagawa laughs, patting her back as she pants slightly. "Besides, Coach Oomi's comin' with us, so you're technically not even keepin' us waitin'."

"...That would have been helpful to know before I started runnin'." Y/N mumbles, sighing as she readjusts her bag.

"It's your fault for being unfit and lazy." Suna mumbles, walking up to them with Coach Oomi.

"That's rich comin' from you, Rintarou." Y/N rolls her eyes. "Why're you here anyway?"

"Suna's comin' with us 'coz he's always slackin'." Coach Oomi sighs. "He's always tryna look for shortcuts whenever we're out runnin', or tryna get early breaks. He might as well help us while everyone else's on break."

"It's your fault for bein' unfit and lazy!" Y/N mocks in a high-pitched tone, making the others snicker as Suna rolls his eyes.

"Alright girls, let's go to the convenience store, we don't wanna make the others wait for too long." Coach Oomi calls as they all follow him.

"Rintarou, put that down. You don't need it."

"But why? Can't I get some since I'm being nice and helping you guys?"

"Aren't you helpin' us as a punishment for bein' lazy?" Y/N deadpans. "I think gettin' you Chuupet (jelly fruit sticks) would defeat the purpose."

"Wow, rude. I come all the way here just to help you, and you don't even thank me?" Suna mutters, turning around and walking to another aisle. "Kagawa-san, can I get these?"

"No."

"Inoue, can I get these?"

"H-huh?" Inoue stutters as she uneasily looks at Kagawa for support. "U-um... maybe you should ask Coach Oomi...?"

"You are so wise. Thank you for your wisdom." Suna nods, walking over to Coach Oomi. "Coach, can I get these?"

Coach Oomi sighs as he turns to Suna, staring at the Chuupet with a blank face. "...I have no complaints if you get enough for the rest of the team."

"Coach! How could you??" Y/N and Kagawa groan in unison, facepalming as Suna smirks at them.

"You heard the man, we're buying the Chuupet~" He says as he places a few packets into Y/N's basket.

"Oh no, it's too heavy now!" Y/N exclaims with a neutral face, pretending to stumble. "It's too heavy for me, Rintarou. Here, you can carry it."

She shoves the basket into his hands and smiles innocently at him, patting his back as he scowls at her. Suna grumbles under his breath as he readjusts the basket in his hands, sighing as he runs a hand through his hair.

"...I'll only hold it since it's for you."

"Awwww look at you bein' disgustingly affectionate!" She teases, poking his arm repeatedly as she smiles at him.

"I'm glad that I'm so appreciated." Suna deadpans, ignoring her as he continues walking down the aisle.

"But I do appreciate you Rintarou~!" She sings as she follows him. "In fact, you wanna do somethin' fun after?"

"...I'm listening."

~  ~  ~  ~  ~

"AHHH!!!" Atsumu shrieks and jumps awake in fear as he hears a blood curdling scream, frantically looking around in distress.

"'Samu?? Suna?? Gin???" Frantically checking their beds, he comes to the horrible realisation that they're not there. He lets out a pitiful squeak as he hears the same blood curdling scream, jumping up in fright.

"W-who's there??" He shakily asks, eyes darting around as he tries to pinpoint the source. He hears his phone vibrate.

Atsumu slowly approaches his phone, carefully reaching for it in fear. He jumps as he hears another blood curdling scream, only this time, he knows the source.

Glaring angrily, Atsumu grabs his phone as he opens it.

'L/N Y/N is calling...'

"WHY DIDJA CHANGE MY RINGTONE?!?!"

"What are you talkin' about, Atsumu? I was just callin' to ask if you heard the screams."

"Wha-"

Atsumu shrieks as he hears another blood curdling scream from behind him, quickly turning around to find Suna holding his phone, filming him, and Osamu playing Y/N's scream on his phone.

"YOU BASTARDS-!"

"Oi, why're you all makin' so much noise?" Ginjima whispers as he enters the room. "Aren't you guys meant to be sleepin'??"

"Gin?? Where were you??" Atsumu asks, whispering as well as he flops back onto his bed in exasperation.

"I was just goin' to the toilet, then I heard a buncha screams and honestly? I don't wanna know. Now go to bed before you wake up Kita-san."

"Argh fine..." Atsumu mumbles, turning around to go back to bed, he flinches when the blood curdling scream plays again.

"STOP PLAYIN' THAT 'SAMU!"

"Welp, that's my cue to go. Goodnight boys, see you in the mornin'."

"Night Y/N." "Night N/N." They chorus as she hangs up.

Kagawa sleepily rubs her eyes as she looks over to Y/N. "L/N-chan...? What were you doin'...?"

"Hm?" Y/N glances at her, smiling apologetically. "Oh did I wake you? Sorry."

"No it's fine, but what were you doin'?"

Y/N shrugs nonchalantly as she tucks herself back into bed. "Just prankin' Osamu's stunt double."

"..." Kagawa stares unimpressed at Y/N, making her pout. "Stunt double? Really?"

"What?? Am I wrong??"

"...G'night." Kagawa deadpans, flopping back onto her pillow as she tries to get back to sleep.

"Goodnight." Y/N whispers back, snuggling into bed as she hugs her fox plushie close. She's going to be so tired in the morning, but it's definitely worth it. 

~~~~~

New chapter~~ OuO
If you're wondering why I chose for them to go to Kyushu, there are many reasons but the main reason is because I have friends that live in Kyushu XD Funnily enough, they're twins too XD And their personalities are lowkey similar to the Miya twins... wait I'm kind of getting freaked out so I'll stop thinking about this :D

Anywayyy I know it's been a few days but omg I'm still not over the recent manga chapter?? Spoiler alert so don't keep reading if you don't want to be spoiled but I WAS SO EMOTIONAL WHEN I WAS READING IT 😭😭😭 LIKE OMG?? ATSUMU??? OSAMU??? MY BOYS ARE ALL GROWN UP AND THEY'RE ALL MATURE(ish) AND JUST LIVING LIFE AS ADULTS NOW AND I'M JUST SO- *sobs uncontrollably*

I legit wrote a whole 3 page analysis on Atsumu's character development, the Inarizaki banner and the relationship between the twins and Kita XD I posted some of it on my instagram story but welp XD Also speaking of Kita... I WAS SO HAPPY TO SEE HIM AGAIN OMG 😭😭😭 HE'S SO HANDSOME AND HE WAS SMILINGGGG OMG HE WAS SMILINGGGG I FELT SO BLESSED AND LOVED JUST SEEING HIS PANEL 😭😭 I MISSED HIM SO MUCH AND I LOVE HIM AND NOW I'M SCARED THAT I'LL NEVER SEE HIM AGAIN 😭😭😭 Argh I need to stop thinking about this or else I'm going to be sad ;-;

I also said on my Twitter a few weeks ago that I'd only take care of myself and go to bed before 5am if/when Kita shows up again... So... :))) I'm here to proudly announce that I've been going to bed before 5am ever since the chapter came out! (Give or take 10 minutes shhhh I'm doing my best) This probably won't last though because I have deadlines next week sooo :D

Anyway anyway, I hope you liked this chapter! OuO It's more relationship based so there wasn't much volleyball~ And with this... we get one chapter closer to Interhigh... *chuckles ominously*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.4K 40 15
Kita Y/N, is the younger sibling of Kita Shinsuke. Y/N is a first year at Inarizaki High, and is planning on becoming the team manger for the Boy's V...
110K 3.6K 56
Kita Shinsuke is a captain of Inarizaki Highschool Volleyball Club. Meanwhile, Miya Ayumu is Miya twins; Atsumu and Osamuㅡ youngest sister. Ever sinc...
183K 7.6K 14
Status: COMPLETE ~ ~ ~ A heart can be delicate, that's what (Y/N) wanted to believe. She is lonely, fragile, yet she's still a cheerful person. Life...
287K 7.4K 49
(F/N) Ginjima, the twin sister of Hitoshi Ginjima, is not like anyone else. She seems cold and distant, much like her twin. She's on the Inarizaki Hi...