Family Matters

By SeekingAndromeda_

Ceres wasn't even born when she was taken away from her family who she now has no knowledge of. Her life with... More

Characters
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Q & A
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Q & A #2
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Popularity Results
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
A Year With You
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
The End
More Family Matters
PART 2: Chapter One
PART 2: Chapter Two
PART 2: Chapter Three
PART 2: Chapter Four
PART 2: Chapter Five
PART 2: Chapter Six
PART 2: Chapter Seven
PART 2: Chapter Eight
PART 2: Chapter Nine
PART 2: Chapter Ten
PART 2: Chapter Eleven
New Book 😁

Chapter Twenty Four

22.7K 944 285
By SeekingAndromeda_

Diana had happily shown me around her house. It was just her and her Dad living here since her older sister had moved out. She explained to me that her mother and father divorced when she was young and that she wanted to stay with her Dad.

Her Dad was nice. He had greeted me in a similar manner to when me and Diana first met. Energetic and fast paced. He was apparently very excited to meet me and told me that Diana talked about me a lot which was a surprise to me.

After her dad told us when dinner would be ready, we headed up to Diana's room to start on our homework.

"Oh that's right. You got paired up with Ross and Hayden. How did that go?" She asked as we were in the middle of our math. I was grateful for the question since I was trying to avoid doing this particular problem on the homework.

"It was fine...Ross was the one doing all the talking and he didn't mind that we were quiet" I said and Diana hummed.

"I got stuck with Avery and Natasha. Avery is nice and all but she isn't exactly all the way up there" Diana said while pointing to her head and I let out a small smile at her comment.

"And Natasha? That's like, as unlucky as it gets. She doesn't do anything! I swear if that girl thinks I'm slapping her name on this project without her helping, she's got another thing coming" Diana said with a huff at the end.

"I'm sure she'll come around" I said and Diana gave a small sigh before letting a smile take over her features.

"Yeah but I'd probably have to beat her head in with a brick before that happens" She said with a snicker at the end and I just shook my head.

Suddenly the sound of my phone ringing grabbed my attention and I grabbed it out of my pocket. Kade's name was displayed on the phone and I pressed the green button to answer.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Honey. Just wanted to check in on you. Are you having fun?"

"Yeah...why are you whispering?"

"Uh...I have a sore throat. Anyways, it's just you and your girl friend right?"

I was a little weirded out by his question but before I could even answer him, I heard some shouting going on in the back.

"Who gave him his phone back?!"

"Kade get the hell off the phone!"

"No! I have to make sure my baby is alright!"

From there I just heard muffled sounds and eventually the phone hung up and I just stared down at my phone in confusion not really knowing or wanting to know what that was all about.

"Is everything alright?" Diana asked as she looked at me curiously. I shrugged my shoulders in response.

"I don't really know" I said while putting my phone back in my pocket.

After that, we continued to do our work and once we finished, Diana had suggested multiple things for us to do until dinner.

"We could watch a movie, play games, do karaoke. Or if you have anything you wanna do I'm fine with that too" Diana said as she plopped down on her bed after listing the activities.

I thought about it for a while. We always watched movies at home and I hardly doubt I'd have fun with karaoke so I settled for playing a game even though I've never played any before.

"A game is fine" I said and Diana sat up with a grin.

"I was hoping you'd choose that! I have so many games! Video games, board games, card games, I have it all!" she said as she went into her closet and brought out a huge game case.

"You really do have it all..." I muttered as I watched her flip through the game case. Diana nodded.

"Yeah, it gets really boring when Dad is at work. It's just me here most of the time so I play games or watch movies until he comes home" she said and instantly I was reminded of when I was living with Mama.

While Mama was at work, I would be bored all day with nothing to do. Even if I loved watching the movies on the TV, there were times where I just wouldn't want to. We didn't have much of anything so all I could do was laze around and do nothing.

"Hmmm..." Diana begun to list off a number of possible games we could play and while I knew none of them, I just continued to let her suggest them until she looked at me for my answer.

"I'm fine with anything" I said. It definitely didn't help us choose a game but I truly didn't know what to pick.

"Alrighty then, Mario Party it is!" She said and loaded up the disc into the console before handing me a red controller. I put my hand through the strap and tightened it.

"Who are you playing as? Yoshi is my favorite!" Diana said as she clicked on Yoshi's icon. I looked at all the choices of characters that I could choose before coming across one.

"I guess I'll choose Toad..." I said as I clicked it's icon. It was kind of adorable in it's own weird mushroom looking way.

When we started playing, I was so confused on what to do and Diana had to help me the entire time. She was basically playing for the both of us.

"I'm sorry...I guess I'm not good at this" I said after we finished one of the maps on the game. Despite probably not having much fun since she had to play for the both of us, Diana shook her head.

"It's alright. It's your first time playing so I understand" She said.

Even though her words were understanding, it only made me wish that I had grown up like a normal kid. Maybe if I had then I wouldn't be so...dull and boring.

A knock on the door made me turn my head and Diana's father was peeking his head in.

"Girls, dinner is ready" he said and we nodded before following after her father and heading downstairs.

"You're not eating with us?" Diana asked as she noticed that only our plates were on the table. Diana's father shook his head with a small frown.

"It's alright, I'll be eating a little later. I have some work to do. I hope you enjoy the food Ceres" her father said giving me a nod before heading out of the room. Diana frowned but just shrugged before taking a seat at the table and I followed suit.

"Is he always busy...?" I asked and Diana nodded.

"Yeah but that's to be expected when you're a detective. I can't really get upset when it's his job. Though he's always trying to make up for it which is why I'm not as bothered" She said as she twirled her spaghetti around her fork.

"My Papa is like that too...but it's okay because my brothers are usually around" I said after a forkful of spaghetti. When hearing me mention my brothers, Diana let out a sigh.

"I wish my sister was still here. She would always keep me company, even when she didn't have the time for it she would make the time" She said and I smiled at that. It sounded like she had an amazing sister. It was no wonder to me that Diana was so eager to make friends, now that her sister was gone she gained a lonely home life so having a friend would take her mind away from that.

"Alright, let's talk about something else! So, what's your favorite color? Food? Animal?" I was surprised when Diana started firing questions so quickly but I did my best to answer them.

"My favorite color, hmm...I would have to say green. Animal would be frogs and I don't really think I can say I have a favorite food. There's so much food out there that I haven't tried so it wouldn't be fair to the others" I said and Diana giggled after my last sentence.

"It's just food silly, I'm sure you won't be hurting anyone's feelings. My favorite color is purple, animal is birds, and my favorite food is ice cream! I could eat it forever" Diana said and I gave her an unsure look.

"Ice cream...? That's hardly something you should be eating for the rest of your life" I said and Diana giggled at my words.

"You underestimate me, my friend. Brain freezes mean nothing when all I can taste is the amazing flavor" She mused and I sighed. I wouldn't try to stop her or anything but I'm just worried about her health...

Diana continued to ask questions and we would both answer them until we finished our food. Once we put our plates in the sink, Diana suggested that we watched a movie.

"Do you want to choose?" She asked as she grabbed the remote to turn the TV on.

"I'm fine with anything" I said and Diana paused.

"You sure aren't a picky person" She said and I blushed, feeling a little sheepish from her comment.

"It's troublesome to be picky" I said and Diana gave a slight smile.

"It's okay to be a little picky" She said holding up her pointer and thumb and holding them close together.

I just nodded my head to tell her that I understood.

I was picky about certain things for myself but when it came to others I just couldn't be. I've always been accustomed to just taking things the way they are. I didn't have the luxury to be picky considering the state I used to live in, I was always thinking of how it would affect Mama if I was one of those kids who refused to eat their vegetables or got upset because of something small. I had to be accepting of most things so that we could survive, I didn't have much of a choice anyways.

"It's alright" I said and Diana sighed but left the topic alone. She sifted through the many movies she had until she picked one called Finding Nemo.

From the second it started to the second it ended, I was very intrigued by this movie. Maybe it was because the colors were pretty, or that the plot was surprisingly interesting, or just the simple fact that I liked aquatic creatures but this movie has immediately become one of my favorites.

Diana was very amused by my liking of the movie for some reason.

"If you like that one, we can watch Finding Dory next!" She said and my head nodded before I even knew it.

"That will have to wait til next time. It's time for you two to get to bed" Just before Diana could press play, the remote was plucked from her hands and the TV turned black.

"Are you sure your time perception isn't off or something? It can't be that time already!" Diana whined and her father simply chuckled with a shake of his head.

"If Ceres had came on a weekend, I wouldn't have a problem, but she didn't. And I also promised her brother to have her in bed at a reasonable time" Her father said and he made sure to let it be known that his words were final as he started to walk away after placing the remote on the table.

Diana grumbled but nonetheless listened to her father and I followed her to her room.

"May I use your bathroom?" I asked and Diana nodded.

"Of course. It's right down the hall, first door on your right" she said and I thanked her before going.

I had taken a quick shower before brushing my teeth and heading back to Diana's room. While she went to go take her own shower, I put my things away.

Once I was finished, I had no idea what to do from there so I sat on the chair at her desk and waited for Diana to come back. I know that she would probably expect me to be in bed but I wasn't sure if she had a side she liked to sleep on a certain side so I just sat in the chair.

When Diana came back a few minutes later she seemed to be surprised that I was just sitting here.

"You didn't have to wait for me" she said.

"Sorry...I just wasn't sure if you had a certain way you liked to sleep. I am intruding after all..." I said and Diana gave a little huff with a shake of her head.

"I'm the one that invited you over, it'd be rude of me to feel like you're intruding. Come on, if we don't get to bed soon Dad will go on a rant of how important sleep is" She said as she ushered me over to the bed and once we were both in, she turned out her lamp light and we were enveloped in darkness with only the moon illuminating our figures.

It was quiet for a few minutes before I could hear Diana shifting a little to face me.

"Ceres?" Diana whispered and I could just barely make out her blue eyes that were staring into my own green ones.

"Yes?" I whispered back, even though I don't really know why we were whispering.

"Did you have fun? I know this wasn't exactly an ideal first sleepover for you...but I hope that it was at least somewhat enjoyable" she said and I let out a smile even though she probably couldn't see it.

"I had the most fun I've had in a while. It doesn't matter that we didn't get to do much...there's always next time right?" I said and I was surprised when feeling my hand being grabbed by Diana's warm one.

"I'm so happy...this is just me assuming but...we're gonna be friends forever, right?" Even though I could only make out the outline of Diana's face, I could still see the hope that was shining in her eyes as she waited for my answer.

I couldn't believe that she wanted to be friends for so long. Being friends forever means that we'd be in each other's lives all the time. I was surprised that she would even be thinking that far into the future. I somewhat expected for her to get tired of me eventually and we'd drift apart but knowing that she wanted to be friends forever made me indefinitely happy.

I grabbed her hand with my other so now both my own hands were wrapped around hers.

"Yeah, forever" I whispered back. We both smiled at each other, knowing now that we had the mutual want of being friends forever.

And it was all that I could ever ask for with my first friend.

~The Next Day, Ceres Returns Home ~

Once we got home from school, I was not expecting to see the crying depressed mess that was currently known as Kade who was curled up on the couch and hugging his knees to his chest.

"What happened to him...?" I asked and Roman just gave an irritable sigh.

"Ask him" He said before heading off. I frowned at Roman's annoyed behavior but nonetheless went to go ask Kade.

"Kade?" I said as I approached him. His eyes were lifeless and dead-looking but once I spoke up, they widened and turned towards me.

"What's wrong?" I asked but I got startled when Kade jumped up from his previous lifeless state on the couch to gather me in a hug.

"Honey, you're back! I missed you so much! They wouldn't let me talk to you at all! It was torture!" He cried and I could feel myself starting to lose oxygen from how tightly Kade was holding onto me, it was as if he were making sure I was really here.

"You trying to call her every two seconds is more like shadowing her" Max said with a scoff but Kade just ignored him.

"I'm so glad you're home and safe! Please never leave me like that again" Kade said as he put me down but I just continued to look up at him. I wonder how he would react when I told him that since me and Diana were gonna be friends forever, that there is going to be a lot more sleep overs from now on.

Deciding that I'll tell him later, I keep silent just to let him have his happiness for now.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9M 47.1K 64
What happens when a mother and father get a divorce leaving their seven children heart broken and seperated from one another. When the father receive...
Lucent By ads ❀

Teen Fiction

329K 7.5K 27
lucent (adj); softly bright or radiant ✿ ✿ ✿ My brother's hand traces the cut on my right cheek for some minutes. I have no idea how a cut can b...
105K 2.1K 16
Alessandra had always been in the dark about her family. Her mother made sure of it. She never told her anything about her father, her mysterious jo...
Child of a King By Anne Mason

Mystery / Thriller

110K 3.4K 48
After a heartbreaking event, a family is forced to split up because of their ancestors' rivalry. The father hides in South America with their sons an...