Family Matters

By SeekingAndromeda_

Ceres wasn't even born when she was taken away from her family who she now has no knowledge of. Her life with... More

Characters
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Q & A
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Q & A #2
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Popularity Results
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
A Year With You
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
The End
More Family Matters
PART 2: Chapter One
PART 2: Chapter Two
PART 2: Chapter Three
PART 2: Chapter Four
PART 2: Chapter Five
PART 2: Chapter Six
PART 2: Chapter Seven
PART 2: Chapter Eight
PART 2: Chapter Nine
PART 2: Chapter Ten
PART 2: Chapter Eleven
New Book ๐Ÿ˜

Chapter Ten

36.3K 1.2K 403
By SeekingAndromeda_

MAXIMILIAN'S P.O.V

I could feel my hand itching from how long I've been holding my brush. My eyes stayed focus on the canvas in front of me, trying to figure out my next approach with this piece. I wasn't sure what I wanted it to be yet but surely it had to be perfect.

After all, this was going to become a gift. Just like the painting I had finished before this one. Two gifts.

And I refused to put in anything other than my all into them.

Who am I gifting these to, you may be wondering. Well, this one I'm working on right now is for Roman since his birthday is coming up. I usually gift my brothers with paintings and they always loved them. The one that I had already finished would be for Ceres, as a welcoming gift. This was my best attempt at trying to help her feel settled in since I was better at actions than words. I wanted the painting to be something she can look at and feel calm, or peaceful.

I hoped that what I had made was something that would give her that feeling. It would be a waste to give it to her if it didn't.

I sighed before deciding to take a break and looked over at the clock only to see that I had once again stayed up all night painting. I cursed and hurried to clean myself up and when I was done, the realization hit me that I hadn't started on any of my homework.

The old man is gonna kill me when he gets this report card...

Even though he can't be around too often, he always makes it a point that he is here when report cards are given out and I usually always end up being scolded because of my average or bad grades.

"Max, it's time- Oh, you're already up" Roman's head was peaked into the room and I internally gasped when I realized my painting was still on the easel and very much on display. I rushed to the door to try and shield Roman's view of it but that was kind of hard when he was taller than me.

"Y-Yeah. I'll be down in a few" I said and Roman gave me a weird look but thankfully he didn't question it. He nodded before leaving the room and I shut the door with a sigh.

After putting the painting somewhere no one could really see it (I put it in a corner and faced it towards the wall), I showered and got dress before heading downstairs.

When I walked in the kitchen, I froze when I saw all of my brothers looking at their food wearily.

"What's wrong with you guys?" I asked looking at each of them.

I walked over to the plate of food in the spot that was meant for me and my eyes widened when I saw the certainly inedible food in front of me. Who the fuck made this shit?

"Ceres made breakfast..." Lucas' quiet voice came from his spot and all my brothers just stayed silent.

"This isn't food..." I grumbled while looking at it and before I knew it, I had been pinned down with my mouth covered by my brothers. I struggle and tried to yell profanities at them but it wasn't working with Kade's hand in the way.

"Shut up! What if she hears you? She went through the trouble of making this for us so we have to eat it!" Ares exclaimed.

I glared before biting Kade's hand and he yelped.

"Even if it kills us?!" I exclaimed now that my mouth was free. I looked to Lance who just nodded grimly.

"Even if it does" he said and I groaned. No way, I'm not dying cause they wanna spare her feelings.

"Well count me out. Just tell her I ain't hungry or something" I said pushing Ares off of me.

When I turned to exit, I had to freeze once again as there right in front of me stood Ceres who was dressed and had her school bag in hand.

Shit...I really hope she hadn't heard what I said.

She tilted her head at me, her usual blank expression on her face and just continued to stare at me which kind of began to creep me out.

"Say something you robot!" I exclaimed, no longer able to handle the feeling of her unwavering stare.

"Don't talk to her like that" Lance said and I groaned.

"Is it good?" She asked and we all looked at each other before coming to a mutual agreement that the best thing to do right now is just nod our heads.

"But your food is still untouched" she said pointing at Lucas' plate.

It was silent between all of us for a moment and we looked at Ceres who looked back at us. My guess is that she was waiting for one of us to eat her food and tell her it's good, and that person will not be me.

Seeing that no one was willing to take one for the team, Roman picked up his fork and Kade gasped but clamped his mouth shut. I silently prayed for our soon to be fallen soldier.

Wait, who was gonna take us to school today if he died?

This is kind of a win-win situation. Damnit Max, your brother dying isn't a good thing. But on the other hand, no school today...

Just as Roman was about to put the poison into his mouth, a dry chuckle erupted from Ceres and we all looked at her.

"It's a joke" she said with a small smile and like that, time seemed to fast forward.

"Oh thank god" Roman muttered as he dropped the fork and clutched his chest. Lucas went to dump his food in the trash while Kade was also clutching his chest.

What the hell was he doing that for? He isn't the one that almost died.

"Kiddo, you've got deadpan humor y'know that?" Ares asked and Ceres' face just went back to it's regular face.

"So is there actual food somewhere...?" Lucas asked while holding his stomach.

Ceres shook her head.

"No. Me not being able to cook wasn't a joke" she said.

For the first time in a long time, I had actually wished that we were at school already. My wish was granted shortly after we all had to eat cereal since there wasn't enough time to cook.

"Hey, Max" as I sat in my seat, my friend Julia was quick to turn in her seat to greet me.

Julia and I have been friends since I started here. When she found out that I liked to paint, she had shown me some of her drawings and like that we clicked. She was also funny and if I'm being honest a little crazy, but she was one of the only people in this world that I didn't find annoying.

"Hey" I said while taking my notebook out. When I heard Julia giggling I looked at her with a raised brow and she pointing at my cheek.

"Your paint is giving you a five o'clock shadow" she said poking my cheek and I sighed.

Why the hell did this paint never fully come off? My paint has often gotten me some attention. A rumor had started that I used to beat people up before school because I would sometimes come in with dried red paint on my hands. It was annoying at first but the rumor eventually died down. It didn't mean that people weren't still scared of me which I also found weird.

I understand that I don't always have the nicest look on my face but I wish that people wouldn't let that be the deciding factor on whether or not they become friends with me.

That's also another reason why I don't find Julia annoying. She doesn't listen to gossip or rumors, well she listens but she knows that those things are nothing more than what they're labeled as.

"I take it you haven't done the homework" she said and I shook my head.

"Busy" I simply said and she chuckled.

"You make it sound like you had urgent matters to deal with when really you were just painting" she said.

"You should know more than anyone else that to me painting is an urgent matter" I muttered and Julia nodded.

"I know, I know. Wanna copy the homework?" She asked.

"Yes please and thank you" I said and she handed me her papers so I could start copying.

"Don't thank me yet" she said with a wink and I just nodded. Of course, there was always a catch to Julia's kindness. I didn't mind since it was things that I could do but I sometimes wondered what she asked of others that weren't friends with her. Maybe something bizarre and Julia-like.

Repeating her words in my head, I had realized what Julia coming to lunch with me meant. If we were to get lunch together than that would mean she would be meeting Ceres. Up until now, Julia has been studying for her entrance exam to the university she wanted to go to so we haven't really had the time to have lunch together.

I hope Ceres didn't mind too much.

"Where are we going? The cafeteria is that way" Julia asked. When lunch time has came, I had started walking my usual way to go get Ceres.

"Well either you can come with me or you can go to the cafeteria and save us a seat" I said and Julia huffed before following after me.

Just as we reached Ceres' class, the bell run and the halls became flooded with students.

"...you got a lover or something?" Julia asked and I shook my head.

"No" I said and she frowned.

"Then who are we waiting for?" She asked.

"Would you just put a sock in it for all of two seconds?" I said and Julia glared before crossing her arms and staying silent.

It's always easy to tell when Ceres would come out. She usually left after everyone else had so when the trickle of students started to become less and less, I started to look for her.

Ceres' face had soon come into my line of vision but to my surprise, following behind her and seeming talking to her was some girl.

"Who's this?" I asked as Ceres reached us. She shrugged her shoulders and the girl frowned.

"It's Diana! Your friend!" The girl whined and Ceres just shook her head at me, as if telling me that this girl was not her friend.

Seeing Ceres response the girl sighed before saying goodbye and heading off.

"Well aren't you just a cutie? I didn't know you had a kid Max" Julia said as she leaned forward to get a closer look at Ceres who in turn backed away from Julia and proceeded to slowly vanish behind me.

"Are you an idiot? I'm only 17 how could she possibly be my kid?" I asked and Julia chuckled.

"I'm just kidding, but seriously is she related to you? A cousin perhaps?" Julia asked as she tried to peek behind me to get a look at Ceres but it was as if Ceres was trying to become a second layer of skin with how she was pressed into my back.

"No, she's my sister" I said and Julia's eyes widened.

"Sister? I thought you only had brothers?" She asked and I shook my head.

"I'll explain later. Can we just go? There probably aren't any seats left now thanks to you" I said.

Just like I predicted, there were barely any seats left and we got stuck at a table that had a loud group of kids.

"Ceres, this is Julia" I said and Ceres remained silent but she nodded. I could see Julia itching to coo and gush at Ceres like the idiot she is but I was also thankful that Julia could see when someone wasn't comfortable.

"Does she like to paint too?" Ceres whispered and I shook my head.

"Nah, drawing is more her style" I whispered back.

Seeing the two of us whisper to each other, Julia glared.

"I hope you aren't speaking ill of me to your sister" She said and I smirked.

"And if I was?" I said and she rolled her eyes.

"So, Ceres, how old are you?" Julia asked looked over at Ceres who was being extremely quiet. Ceres barely glanced at Julia and just continued to eat her food.

"Tough crowd, huh?" Julia said with a chuckle.

"It's alright. She just needs time" I said.

Suddenly, Julia's phone rang and she looked at it before cursing.

"I forgot I have something to do. Duty calls I guess. It was very nice meeting you Ceres. If you ever see me in the halls and wanna talk, don't hesitate to stop me" she said before grabbing her bag and leaving.

I was confused at her abrupt departure but didn't question it.

"You little punk. You could have at least said bye" I said while flicking Ceres' forehead. She frowned before rubbing the spot that I flicked.

"She was nice but I just didn't want to..." she muttered and I sighed.

As the rest of the day went by, I thought of things to do with Ceres since today was my turn. I wasn't really one for going out and doing things especially in the winter since it's so damn cold.

Even when in the car, I was still trying to think all the way until we got home. Nothing was coming to me so while Kade helped Ceres with her homework, I sat in my room and contemplated.

I looked around and when I saw my art supplies, it had hit me.

I could teach her somethings about painting. Granted it's not the most fun thing in the world but I would imagine that she didn't really get the chance to paint much when she was younger.

So when Ceres had come to my room, I had made sure that I was prepared.

"Alright, punk. I'm gonna teach you a thing or two about painting today" I said and handed her one of my paint stained T-shirts so that her clothes wouldn't get paint on them.

I rolled up the sleeves for her since they were a little bit on her and once that was done, I had begun our little lesson.

"Painting can be pretty easy. You don't always have to think that what you're painting needs to be a masterpiece. You can paint whatever and it'll still be considered art" I said and Ceres watched intently as I just made some loose strokes on my paper, not really trying to make something but at the same time imagining what I could make.

"I can paint anything right?" She asked and I nodded.

I watched as Ceres painted a big yellow ball and from there I had no idea what she was doing. The colors mixed and made dark colors that weren't too eye pleasing and by the time she was finished, I truly had no idea what I was looking at. The only thing I understood was the two little stick figures at the bottom holding hands. Was that supposed to be her and someone?

"Mama loved the beach...she said she would take me someday but..." Ceres trailed off as she looked at the painting with a far off look in her eyes.

My heart sank as I saw the expression on her face. I definitely could not at any cost give her the painting that I had made now. It would be a painful reminder of the life she used to have.

"Do you want me to throw it away?" I asked but it was more of a confirmation for myself. If she answered yes then I would throw the painting I had made for her away and start from scratch.

Ceres shook her head.

"I wanted to make one so I could look at it but this doesn't really look like a beach at all..." she muttered and I sighed. Should I give her the painting? I looked at Ceres once more before making up my mind and walking over to the painting.

Ceres watched me curiously as I took it out from underneath the cloth and her eyes widened when they landed on the painting.

It was a painting of the sea. It was very soft, each stroke on the canvas made the painting come to life in my eyes, or at least I hoped it did. The sun kissed the horizon's edge, and I was sure that Ceres couldn't tell if it was rising or setting when she kept tilting her head. Something I had intended while painting. And lastly, I tried my best to make sure the sea shimmered as beautifully and realistically as possible in it.

"Listen, it's not a big deal or anything...I just wanted to give you something to help you feel more....welcome" I said as I felt my face steadily turned red. She wasn't saying anything at all and I felt myself starting to get nervous.

Maybe she didn't like it?

My feelings of nervousness turned to panic when I saw Ceres eyes glisten and the next thing I knew she was crying.

"W-Why are you crying? Are you upset? If you don't like it just tell me!" I said in a panic.

Ceres shook my head while wiping her tears but no matter how many times she wiped them, the tears continued to come back harder.

"I-I'm sorry..." she whispered.

I sighed before putting the painting down and walking over to her. I was never one to comfort others but I didn't want her to keep crying. I shakily put my arms around her in hopes that I was doing this whole comfort thing right. Kade is always talking about hugs being able to cheer people up, so I guess for once I can take a page out of his book.

I felt Ceres grip my paint stained T-shirt tightly in an attempt to get some kind of ground over herself but it didn't work as I felt her body shudder and her sobbing was now harder.

Hearing footsteps, I looked up and saw Kade standing in the door looking at us confused.

"Why is she crying?" He asked.

"I gave her the painting and then she started crying...I didn't think she'd hate it that much" I muttered sourly knowing that it was my fault she was crying.

Ceres had suddenly broke away and started shaking her head vigorously at me.

"I don't hate it! I love it! I love it so much! It's the best gift I've ever gotten in my entire life!" She sobbed.

Me? I had given her the best gift she had ever received? A warm feeling nestled itself into my chest and once again, my cheeks were ablaze.

I wish I could tell her that her words had made me very happy but I didn't want to go all mushy with Kade watching.

"I-I get it...you can stop crying now" I muttered.

"What the hell? Why are you crying Kade?" I heard Roman say.

"It's so touching..." Kade said as let out a sniffle.

Roman and I frowned at our dramatic older brother.

"I want a hug too!" Kade said before trying to latch on to Roman who just shook his head and walked away with a crying Kade on his tail.

Once Ceres had calmed down, she apologized for getting tears on my shirt.

"It's fine. It's meant to get dirty" I said. She walked to the painting and just stood in front of it.

Well, I'm glad that she liked it though I was worried that she maybe liked it a little too much. If I didn't say anything to her, she'd probably just stand there and stare at it all day.

I kept it in the back of my mind, to fulfill the promise that her mom never got to once the summer time rolls around.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

182K 4.2K 18
lucent (adj); softly bright or radiant โœฟ โœฟ โœฟ My brother's hand traces the cut on my right cheek for some minutes. I have no idea how a cut can b...
90.7K 1.8K 16
Alessandra had always been in the dark about her family. Her mother made sure of it. She never told her anything about her father, her mysterious jo...
3.6K 217 23
**THE ORIGINAL EMMALINE - BUT WATTPAD TOOK IT DOWN AND REMOVED MY ACCOUNT ** Emmaline Black is no stranger to abuse, or to torture of any kind from h...
200K 5.9K 32
I felt the tears rise and I looked down for a minute, gathering all of my resolve. I looked up again and stared him right in the eye. "You know what...