An Inch Of Infinity (Short Ve...

By IAmAnAuthorLETMEIN

In the near future the entire world is conquered by a group of people known as Royalties, or the Royals for s... More

Heads up
Prologue
CHAPTER 1~Life In Block Three
CHAPTER 2~Rebellions
CHAPTER 3~The Market
CHAPTER 4~The Alley Jackpot
CHAPTER 5~A Normal Morning
CHAPTER 6~Meeting Up With Coral
CHAPTER 7~The Map, The Truth, And A Plan
CHAPTER 8~The Plan
CHAPTER 9~The Pieces Come Together
CHAPTER 10~The Work In Progress
1 YEAR LATER~The Final Details
2 YEARS LATER~Preparations
CHAPTER 11~The Day Has Come
CHAPTER 12~Escape
CHAPTER 13~Little Emma
CHAPTER 14~Seeds of Friendship
CHAPTER 15~Sugar and Death
CHAPTER 16~'Sneaking' Around and Lots of Fish
1 WEEK LATER~Storms and Sunburns
CHAPTER 17~Battening the Hatches
CHAPTER 18~ Nowhere to Hide on the Open Ocean
CHAPTER 19~Bullets, Explosions, Fear, and Pain
CHAPTER 20~Hazy Blur
CHAPTER 21~After All of the World Went Away
CHAPTER 22~New Digs, New Problems
CHAPTER 23~Secrets and Scheming
CHAPTER 24~Dreams and Nightmares
CHAPTER 25~Land and Hidden Secrets
CHAPTER 26~Adventurous Emergency
CHAPTER 27~Questions
CHAPTER 28~Answers
CHAPTER 29~The Story Comes
CHAPTER 30~The Boy
CHAPTER 31~Slightly Upset
CHAPTER 32~Crocodiles and Tears
CHAPTER 33~Day Off
CHAPTER 34~Upgrading My Looks
CHAPTER 35~Dangerous Prank
CHAPTER 36~Duties, Theft, And A Lot Of Bananas
CHAPTER 37~Voodoo and Clay
CHAPTER 38~Old friends on Crock-pot Day
CHAPTER 39~Bitter Cranberry Juice, Sweet Milkshake, and Bitter Tears
CHAPTER 40~Congratulations?
CHAPTER 41~Searching
CHAPTER 42~Keeping Secrets
CHAPTER 43~Shadows in the Dark
CHAPTER 44~Kadek's Tale
CHAPTER 45~ 12 Dozen Volunteers, Some Inspiration,One VERY Scary Location
CHAPTER 46~Survivors
CHAPTER 47~Surprise and Supplies
CHAPTER 48~New Years Eve
CHAPTER 49~In Which Beans Are Split
CHAPTER 50~Mistakes Were Made.....
CHAPTER 52~Hindsight 20/20
CHAPTER 53~ Lies Are Uncovered
CHAPTER 54-Chased
CHAPTER 55- Waves of fatigue
CHAPTER 56- Surprise
CHAPTER 57- Terror
CHAPTER 58- Faith Takes Control
CHAPTER 59- Recollection and Risks
CHAPTER 60- In which blood is spilt
CHAPTER 61- A recap
CHAPTER 62- Kari Returns
CHAPTER 63- A Visit
CHAPTER 64- Breaking Deals
CHAPTER 66- Mixing Potions
CHAPTER 67- Flat Lined
CHAPTER 68- Moving on
CHAPTER 69- Settling in
CHAPTER 70~ Realizations and Shocking News
CHAPTER 71~Babies and Namesakes
CHAPTER 72~As Time Goes By
CHAPTER 73~Lots Of Running & Fear To Be Honest...
CHAPTER 74~Hidden Walls That Aren't There
CHAPTER 75~Hiding
CHAPTER 76~In Which Sacrifices Are Made
CHAPTER 77~Remembrance
CHAPTER 78~In Which Goodbyes Are Said
EPILOGUE ~The Keepers Headquarters~
Attention All Readers

CHAPTER 65- Desperate

6 6 0
By IAmAnAuthorLETMEIN

We walk to the village, into a building and retrieve a map.

We follow the map to the middle of the island, but where a hospital is supposed to be, is a landslide, it could take hours to dig the hospital out.

"Let's get to work." I say. We jog back to camp and get shovels. Then we ran back. We dig all day and far into the night. We hit the wall only an hour after starting, but we take forever to find a door or a window.

"I give up!" yells Kiki, frustrated, and she throws her shovel against the wall. It cracks. Soon we are hitting the wall with our shovels until we get a hole, which we claw at with our hands until Kadek can fit through. He can't see, so we keep clawing and go in ourselves. It's dark and smells like earth. The air seems to have suspince in it. We turn on the flashlights, but the beams are so small it's almost impossible to see anyways. I head to a cabinet and rummage through it.

"What are we looking for?" I asked, breaking the eerie silence.

"We should be looking for a clear liquid, or some sort of recipe." replies one of the boys, about eighteen years old. I look around. All the vials are tinted with color, none are clear. I open a drawer. It has lots of files, written in another language.

"Can you guys still read Indonesian?" I ask, I feel like I'm in a horror movie or book, waiting for someone, or something to jump around the corner. I step on broken glass. Why is there broken glass? As I look around, I see a stain of what looked like dark brown, but now seems red. Blood. It smears to the floor and around the corner, I step towards it. Around the corner is a giant slug slowly moving, leaving an ugly reddish trail. I relax, I was a bit too quick to assume something bad had happened. Maybe it's because of our mission, and what the Keeper has been up to.

"What did you say?" called a voice. I jump a mile. I try to play it off, unsuccessfully.

"Oh, uh, I found some papers and I was wondering if you could read them." I call into the darkness. Footsteps walk towards me. I wonder how that slug got in, it was huge. I am overreacting and just push it out of my mind.

I lead Maiki to the drawer. I hand him the stack of papers, he skims through, muttering under his breath.

"Can you read them?' I ask. He flashes me a smile.

"Can you read English?" He laughs. I am relieved. I want to get out of here, now. Maiki holds up a page.

"This one is a list of ingredients for the antidote." he says triumphantly. I wonder where the door is. I haven't seen it yet.

"Ok, let's get an antidote mixed up." I say.

"We need a lot of stuff," he starts, but I just snatch the list. He had written the translations on the side with a pen.

We need water, a lot of different herbs, and light infused citric acids. What's light infused citric acid? Maiki pulls a bottle off of the shelf, in it a cloudy white liquid sloshes around.

"We use light infused citric acid often." he explains. "It is mostly full of vitamin D, and is a long process of filling the citric acid with the vitamins from the sun." I nod, as if that makes sense. How do you make a drink out of sunlight?

We searched around and found a few of the herbs. I say we need Emma, and they agree. We head back for her. She is in quarantine. She isn't sick, but nobody wants to take that chance. She is released to us and we search for the rest of the herbs. She finds all but one. The sky blue mushroom. It isn't edible, but when injected with certain herbs, it becomes just the antidote we need. And they don't grow in indonesia. They don't grow anywhere. They have been extinct for almost a decade.

Emma starts to cry. We can't save Coral, or anyone else.

"Wait, what do we need from the mushroom?" I ask. Emma says something that seems to come from another language. I'm guessing that it's a scientific word.

"Is there another way to get that?" I ask. Her face brightens.I take that as a good sign.

"There just might!" She exclaims. She looks through the bottiny book, but finds nothing.

We go back to the camp. Just as we are getting close enough to see the boats, a young man runs up to us. He has a mask on and he has a wild look in his eyes.

"NO! GO BACK! THE DISEASE HAS SPREAD! " he cries. We all stop. Emma steps forward. She's usually shy around people she doesn't know well, so I'm shocked when she speaks.

"We can stop it, find a cure. I just need one of the bottiny volumes." she proclaims. The boy pauses.

"I can get it for you. What does it look like?" He asks her. Emma stops, as if to pull up a mental image and then gives a detailed description of the book.

"It has a deep brown cover made of what looks like pleather, with the words 'fungi and mushrooms' on it in a bold, shiny, golden font. It should be near the door on a shelf in either the greenhouse or the botiny tent. We have two copies, I only need one." She says. He nods, and I can practically see him drawing the book in his mind. He darts off. We all pace as we wait. About an hour later he joggs back, a heavy volume tucked under his arm. Emma quietly thanks him and flips through to a certain chapter. All I can do is pray that there is a way to fix this, get everyone better. If Coral dies, I don't know what I will do.

"Kari! Kari! LOOK!" Emma screams. We all jump. Kiki, who had already fallen asleep against a tree jumped at a weird angle and fell over. She glares at us as she stands. I stifle a smile.

"We need juice from a genipap!" Emma exclaimes. I stare at her. This time, the boy who brought us the book, surely not knowing when to leave, asked the question.

"What the heck is a genipap?" He demands, confusion filling his voice.

"It's a fruit that most commonly grows in the territory of South America, but we just call that Block 2. It comes from the genipap tree, it is a thick skinned fruit, it's often considered a berry. Although edible, most people prefer to not eat it because of multiple reasons, including that it's both an acquired taste, and the seeds can make you barf. Furthermore," she tries to continue but I interrupt. If I don't, she will not stop. Ever.

"If they only grow in block 2, how are we supposed to get them?" I ask bluntly.

"If you had let me finish, I said they only GROW in block 2. Not that they can only be found in block 2." she concludes. I stare at her. She sighs.

"They might have some in the kitchen." she says, clearly exasperated.

"Then what are we waiting for?" I ask and push past the boy trying to stop us.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3 2 37
The days go by lightly and carefreely as always for most people, surely anyone has problems and things to worry about, either trivial or more serious...
113 15 27
"We did not create this world, but we did create those creatures. Together we gave birth to a race of beings as close to the gods as you or I. A race...
129 59 25
The world was peaceful for a long time and it was maintained that way because of one sacrifice of a large family. Harmony was prevalent, and peace se...
142 3 23
"WORLD GOVERNMENTS CLAIM WE ARE LIVING IN UNPRECEDENTED TIMES... FIRST THERE WERE THE FIRES, THE FLOODS AND THE PESTILENCE. THEN WORLD WAR THREE BEG...